Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

To stay or not to stay. Rss

Hi Girls,

Just wanted to get a few opinions on the 'hospital stay'.
As this is my second baby and I sailed through the first one with no problems with feeding etc etc I have come to the decision that if all is well, I am not staying in hospital longer then the minimum time of about 10 hours, or 1 night at the most.

My reason behind this is because with my first, I stayed the 3 days. Those 3 days were absolute hell! I was in a room with one other lady and she was very inconsiderate.
I was told that when bubs wakes in the middle of the night, if you cant settle them to feed etc pretty quickly then to hop up and move into the lounge area so you dont disturb anyone else. Fair enough I thought.
But noooooooo this lady had problems trying to get her bubs to feed and settle (which I understand that some people do have trouble) but she would remain in her bed until the baby was screaming, then the mid wifes would come in and flick on lights and talk etc. After they finally got her bubs back to sleep and all was quiet, Julia would wake for her feed so for 3 days I had no sleep and ended up exhausted.

I would much prefer to be at home in my own surroundings and in my own bed of a night. I dont think I could stand looking at the same four walls of a hospital room for 3 days.

I do not want to go through this again and I was wondering if anyone else had the same type of experience and wasnt planning on staying in hospital.

Renee

Julia (14yrs), Cooper (6yrs) & Amarlia (14 months)

Hi Renee,
I only stayed in hospital for the night bub was born, she was my first but I really didnt like it in there. I prefered to be in the comfort of my own home. The nurse came out for about an hr a day for the first week to my house.

Little miss cranky pants : S

I think early discharge for mothers who all ready have kids is great, I hate been in hospital, with my first born son I had to stay in hospital for the 3 days due to medical complacations, I felt very depressed been in a place i hated been. Then with my 2nd baby She had jantice and as soon as that was clear I wanted outta there. Its hard when you have to wait for the doctors tocome around so you can go I had to wait hours and I said I wanted early discharge.

This time I'll be outta there ASAP. Hospitals make me uncomfortable as my dad is an ambo and I used to live around that. I think as long as you have had a non-complacated birth and labour and babys doing well its up to you to leave, the midwives aren't always nice they can be rather rude and make you feel horrible, How can you settle your baby when your not settled yourself. Its suppost to be a wonderful thing spending the first few days with your new baby you should be comfortable where you are spending those presious moments as you'll never get them back.

Mel, Bailey 30/3/03, Jaida 10/12/04 & EDD 3/3/07

Sign in to follow this topic