Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. dummies/pacifiers? good or bad?

dummies/pacifiers? good or bad? Lock Rss

im at the half way mark and am starting to get bubs things more organized. anyway my question is can someone please tell me the pro's and con's about dummies/pacifiers. i have brought a few and i would use them but, i have also been told they arn't good for bubs etc.

so any info, pro's AND con's would be very helpful.

thanks

my girl finally lets me sleeps at night, yaay

you have to take into account what your baby wants too. my daughter refuses a dummy, if we try give her one she gags on it and cries and screams and spits it. she is happy to suck on everything else she comes in contact with but wont take a dummy smile

i did find you this though:

The pros

For some babies, pacifiers are the key to contentment between feedings. Consider the advantages:

A pacifier may soothe a fussy baby. Some babies are happiest when they're sucking on something.
Pacifiers offer temporary distraction. When your baby's hungry, a pacifier may buy you a few minutes to prepare a bottle or find a comfortable spot to nurse. A pacifier also may come in handy during shots, blood tests or other procedures.
A pacifier may help your baby go to sleep. If your baby has trouble settling down, a pacifier might do the trick.
A pacifier may help reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). Researchers have found an association between pacifier use at naptime and bedtime and a reduced risk of SIDS.
They're disposable. When it's time to stop using pacifiers, you can throw them away. If your baby prefers to suck on his or her thumb or fingers, it may be more difficult to break the habit.

The cons

Of course, pacifiers have pitfalls as well. Consider the drawbacks:

Early pacifier use may interfere with breast-feeding. Sucking on a breast is different than sucking on a pacifier or bottle. Some babies have trouble learning how to nurse properly if they're given a pacifier too soon.
Your baby may become dependent on the pacifier. If your baby uses a pacifier to sleep, you may face frequent middle-of-the-night crying spells when the pacifier falls out of your baby's mouth.
Pacifier use may increase the risk of middle ear infections. Ear infections are most common in children younger than age 3. However, rates of middle ear infections are generally lowest during the first six months of life — when the risk of SIDS is the highest.

Do's and don'ts

If you choose to offer your baby a pacifier, keep these tips in mind.

Wait until breast-feeding is well established. Be patient. It may take a few weeks or more to settle into a regular nursing routine. If you're breast-feeding, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends waiting to introduce a pacifier until your baby is 1 month old.
Let your baby set the pace. If your baby's not interested in the pacifier, try again later — or skip it entirely. Don't force the issue.
Choose the one-piece, dishwasher-safe variety. Some pacifiers have been recalled due to the risk of breaking into two pieces, which poses a choking hazard. The shape and firmness is up to you — or your baby.
Buy extras. Once you've settled on a favorite, keep a few identical backups on hand. Many babies refuse a substitute pacifier.
Keep it clean. Before you use a new pacifier, wash it with soap and water. To keep fungus at bay, soak your baby's pacifier in equal parts white vinegar and water for a few minutes a day. Allow the pacifier to air dry thoroughly before returning it to your baby. Resist the temptation to "rinse" the pacifier in your own mouth — you'll only spread more germs to your baby.
Watch for signs of deterioration. Replace pacifiers often. A worn or cracked nipple can tear off and pose a choking hazard.
Use caution with pacifier clips. Never use a string or strap long enough to get caught around your baby's neck.
Let sleeping babies lie. If the pacifier falls out of your baby's mouth while he or she is sleeping, don't pop it back in.
Try other ways to calm your baby. Don't use a pacifier as a first line of defense. Sometimes a change of position or a rocking session may be all that's needed. If your baby is hungry, offer the breast or a bottle.
Know when to pull the plug. Most kids stop using pacifiers on their own between ages 2 and 4. If you're concerned about your child's pacifier use, consult his or her doctor for suggestions.

Hi, I used a dummy with my first, but only used Nuk because I heard it could affect their teeth, with my twins, I couldn't get them to suck on one so they didn't have one, now with this next one, I plan to try with the dummy again, because one of my twins sucks her thumb, at least with the dummy I could take it away, I can't take a thumb off. With my first too I only let her have it until she was about 1, then took it away, mind you I think I was a bit lucky, she didn't worry about it too much because by that stage she only had it to go to sleep. I think if they are managed properly dummies can be great, I am trying the avent dummies this time, only because of the shape, I don't like the cheap cherry dummies, I think they might affect their teeth, but I am no expert and haven't heard of anyone that has had problems with them either. With no. 1 it was great to keep her quiet when you needed her to be and was also great if you couldn't get to feeding her for a few minutes she was happy to suck on the dummy for a bit instead. Hope this helps with your decision, just remember it is YOUR decision whether to use a dummy or not, take the advice you think is logical, and disregard the rest. All the best with the rest of your pregnancy.

3 beautiful girls and a beautiful baby boy

Hi all my kids have had dummies i was told when i had my 1st son that while ever they have a dummy to suck they remember to breath so i have used one with all of mine and they give it up themselves when they are ready the oldest one of mine to have a dummie was 2 and it was only used to bed time...I have a neice thats 12 and still sucks her thumb so i am glad mine had the dummy that i couls throw away in the end....

ds11 ds10 dd9 dd6 dd19mths ds jan26th

Hi,

Dummy use is a personal choice- some people will swear by them- others can't stand them. Do whatever feels right for you and your bub.

Personally I have found them wonderful- I have had two babies who suffered from colic in the first few months of life. The dummy really helped settle them when nothing else seemed too.

This time round I will be prepared to go with the flow and see what this bub wants- if we need one we will get one.

There are plenty of arguments for and against -my advice is to be informed and then simply see what happens and more importantly what works!!!
Hi Tarra_01,

I gave my DS a dummy on day 3, and we had no problem with breast feeding or attachment or anything like that. We used the Nuk brand for orthodontic reasons. Its shaped to fit the roof or their mouth unlike the round ones. It also fits snuggly around the outside of their mouth in which i found didnt fall out as easily. If he didnt want it, i certainly wouldnt have forced him. For me, it was great to pacify him if all other needs had been met. When i stopped breastfeeding at 6 months, we tried the avent bottles as i had the whole set, but he didnt take to them. I then got the Nuk bottles as the teats are the same shape as the dummies. He took to it straight away!! With the sizes, he wouldnt go to bigger size as they recommend as they get older, so we used the baby size the whole way thru. Not sure if this is an issue?? I'm not bothered at all if i see a toddler with a dummy, i think its totally a personel choice.

smile

DS1,5yrs,DS2 2.5yrs..I love my beautiful boys!!

I have two kids with another due in April, I bottle fed my daughter as I couldn't breastfeed at the time, I gave her a pacifier from birth and she loved it, was really good for her as it settled her in between feeds, gave me a break etc. I took a dunny to hospital when I had my son (he is 16 months old) and I was solely breastfeeding, was told not to use it and almost made to feel bad for pulling it out of my bag and giving it to him. He loved it also and settled him in between feed etc aswell. When he was 4 months old, he started spitting it out and has gone dummy free from then on. I think that pacifiers are good if your baby wants it and if you find that it doesn't interfere with feeding (nipple confusion) and settles the bub, then why not. Have heard the stories about kids teeth being ruined by dummies etc but personally not experienced this.

Good luck!
Sign in to follow this topic