Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

CIRCUMCISION yes or no ? Rss

yes it aired last night on Aus free to air. Try ninemsn.com.au and they should have a link to it.

I'm not convinced that the health reasons outweigh the distress the baby seems to go through, sure they can't remember it later on down the track but really, its not life or death (imo).

little girls have troubles with cleanliness down in that area also but we don't think about doing anything about their bits. My neice had a very nasty infection and it just came down to teaching appropriate hygiene and making them aware of the consequences.

Sorry if this starts an argument, just my opinion. I will definately not be having my son done and as I have been made aware recently, out of over 20 pediatricians (sp?) only ONE will perform this procedure in my locality

Hey

I had my son done when he was 2.5 weeks old and haven't looked back since. The doctor that was on 60 minutes Dr Russell was the one that did my son and knew excatly what he was doing and i was very impressed with him.
Your normal G.P will try to convince you not to get it done(mine did) but we wanted him done
Even if we didn't want him done we were told that he would of had to be done later anyway as he has a very small pee hole(sorry if too much information).
When we have a nother baby and he turns out to be a boy we would have him done again without question

Nel-Shailer Park, son Aden 14.2.07

i see everyone saying how much pain it is for the child and ive never actually seen a circumcision done, do they not numb the area first? or get put to sleep? what exactly happens thanks.

Well, we're in the yes camp. DH and I have discussed it and we would have a son done - didn't matter first time round, but may with this one. Also it would make a little boy the same as his dad. Watching 60 minutes - for us - actually kind of suported our decisions in our mind. I'm a bit like that women who had to get her son done at 5 and remembers it, in thinking that it's btter to prevent than go though the trauma later, and I know of two boys locally when I was growing up who had to have it done when at primary school becuase of issues. I just think better to be preventative with the AIDs and cerical cancer thing. IMO - yes condoms do the same, but still there are so many boys who don't use them. Also, that little baby WAS in distress, but the mother wasn't present (just the Dr and a nurse) and he seemed to be calm afterwards. I also thought he was quite old having it done - when I had DD, all the baby boys who were done, were done within a week or two of birth. Any of the women I've spoken to about it have said the umbilical cord stub takes longer to heal than the little pices of foreskin to drop off, so I'm not going to be swayed out of it by a Dr.

But, that said, it is a personal choice and each to their own.

Isobel 19/7/06 Molly 14/2/08 Sam 4/10/09

Ive just had a boy and had him done and its great so much better than the sausage meat before. I couldnt think of pulling anything back in lateyears to come and we all know boys arnt that hygwenic so its a great thing. He cried for a minute and had a feed and didnt hear boo from him again. Go for it !!

Nat, WA

hi how was it done? do they numb it ? or what???

we just have the one child who is a boy and personally we didnt get it done but would have got it done if there was a legitmate medical reason why it had to be done.

i think its best for you and ur dh to get informed chioces and maybe speak to your doctor/midwife etc (even though some midwives etc are very anti-circumcision) and see what they say.

there are some people who do get their sons for religious reasons etc - obviously partly from ur dh side but its all normal and remember to take ur personal circumstances into account and dont let anyone influence ur decision as it ultimately comes down to you and your dh are the boys parents and there is no right or wrong in choosing or not to get ur son done.

i was called ballo!

circumcision is cruel!!!!
its un necesarry pain.. for what.. cosmetic reasons!it starts 1000s of years ago.. o and they also did girls.. some countries still do!!!! so wrong if u ask me!
its healthy to start with so why touch it! and if there is a tiny chance one day they'll need to be circumsised for medical reasons..thats far better then getting them done as a baby and risk THEM DIEING!!!! baby boys have died from being circumsised..why on earth would u risk it...
LilSarah, no they don't put them under to get it done, they have to have a local anaesthetic at the site OUCH! They then peel back the foreskin (it doesnt do this naturally until the baby is around 24 months) and insert a plastic ring thing under the skin, they then put a string around the outside at the top of the ring and so the skin loses circulation and drops off of its own accord, apparently takes a few days to a week. Seems pretty barbaric, I don't know whether it is better than just lopping it off with a scalpel, just as cruel.

Just my opinion and I would not judge anyone for their decision, as has been said it is a personal thing and something only yourself and DH/DP can decide.
[Edited on 28/08/2007]

WE are a yes. a big fat proud yes! bub's was done at five days old, he was carried away asleep and came back sleeping. i saw the 60 minutes program, did not phase me an ounce, if i had a hundred boys they would all be done too. if you really want it done then you should not worry, it takes like a few minutes and heals in a matter of days. YAY FOR CIRCUMCISION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Ladies,
I have a 6 month old boy, and i agonised over the decision as to have it done or not. We both agreed after talking to friends, family and our three treating doctors, that we were not.
For the record, our three treating doctors whilst we were pregnant all said the same thing as the doctor on 60 mins on sun nite..." Leave the penis alone!"

KynansMum

Posted by: jakes_mummy
circumcision is cruel!!!!
its un necesarry pain.. for what.. cosmetic reasons!it starts 1000s of years ago.. o and they also did girls.. some countries still do!!!! so wrong if u ask me!
its healthy to start with so why touch it! and if there is a tiny chance one day they'll need to be circumsised for medical reasons..thats far better then getting them done as a baby and risk THEM DIEING!!!! baby boys have died from being circumsised..why on earth would u risk it...

Nothing like over dramatising to lose credibility!

<p><br>http://www.poqbu

Sign in to follow this topic