Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Best Book EVER Rss

What is your all time favourite read?

Im talking, can't put it down and will stay up all night reading because its so good?

I want to get some new books and i want REALLY GOOD ONEs!
Easy! Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet. I have read it four times and I never read another book more than once.
i have a once a year ritual of reading one flew over the cuckoos nest

the other one i have read more lots more than once is
nightmare with angel by stephen gallagher

also enid blytons those dreadful children
and a school set book dinner at the homesick restuarant by anne tenney i think

and mcbeth

I also love any book by James Mitchener especially Chesapeake and John Steinbeck (my favourite was Grapes of Wrath).
what type of book is pillars of the earth izi?

whats it about?

PD i have only seen the movie one flew over the cuckoo's nest, not read the book. is the story line similar?
basically yes but there are bits in the book that are different enough to seperate one from the other and of course the written word at times tells a more compelling picture than a full on scene where they try and cram it all in two second take
i have read the book 23 times and seen the mocie 17

Pillars of the Earth is about the building of a Gothic Cathedral in medieval England. It spans a few centuries and the characters are unforgettable. I read it in the 90s and then recently Oprah had it as her book of the month. It is listed as one of the top 101 books you should read before you die. You won't put it down.

'The Pillars of the Earth' tells the story of Philip, prior of Kingsbridge, a devout and resourceful monk driven to build the greatest Gothic cathedral the world has known... Of Tom, the mason who becomes his architect - a man divided in his soul... Of the beautiful, elusive Lady Aliena, haunted by a secret shame... And of a struggle between good and evil that will turn church against state, and brother against brother. A spellbinding epic tale of ambition, anarchy, and absolute power set against the sprawling medieval canvas of 12th-century England, this is Ken Follett's historical masterpiece.
wow 27 times?! you could near repeat it word for word!!!

i had to watch the movie for school so when i saw it, it wasnt for enjoyment but out of necessity. i'd probably enjoy it now that im older and would be reading it by choice LOL
ooh it sounds good iziani.

Deep end of the ocean

Marianne Faithful's Bio

Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz

Sins of the Brother by Mark Whittaker (about Ivan Milat)

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee (CLASSIC!)

Cloudstreet by Tim Winton

Breath by Tim Winton

It's Not About the Bike by Lance Armstrong (fantastic story about surviving cancer)

Anything by Robert G barret (he does a Les Norton series - brilliant!)

A Fortunate Life by A B Facey

This Boy's Life by Jack Davis

i actual view it as a modern day gospel
i also get in trouble when i explain why to the people at my church but who cares

nightmare with an angel is a book that talks about a girl looking for a hero who latches on to a man with ashady past who doesn't want anyone in his life the girl follows him everyone else is afraid he kidnapped her
he ends up taking on the search for her mother while along the way protecting her
fighting the thoughts of his past and running from those chasing him to get her back all the way you are trying to figure out if he is or isn't going to be a good guy or a bad guy
and even though i have now read this one a few times i still read it changing my feelings for the guy/hero of the book
[Edited on 20/03/2009]

Sign in to follow this topic