Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Book & Resources
  5. Girlfriend's guide to being a new mum

Girlfriend's guide to being a new mum Lock Rss

Hi I thought of another one
after 20min on the boob they have had all they are gunna have you dont need to sit there till your nipples bleed. They wont starve. I use to find myself sitting there 2hous later waiting for her to pull off (not gunna happen!) till someone told me the 20min rule. Such a relief.
I agree being able to say no is vital if only to give you practice for when they are older and touching power points, TV,cats food, dogs bottom......and on and on and on

DD 19/10/03 & Trainee Doula

Hello,
My girlfriends and I have a saying with our babies when people want to ooh and ahh when they are sleeping... you wake them you take them!
Hope the book comes across well
Kat

Kat,QLD,mother to Lachie

That has to be one of the best sayings I have heard.

Once I also said to a "well meaning friend" who wanted to "over stimulate" the twins that when the babies woke up 6 or 7 times that night I would ring that friend each time the boys woke and keep them on the phone until the twins went back to sleep - they did not overstimulate them then (because they knew I was serious).

Victoria ~ 3yr old beautiful twin boys

Here's a little gem that i was given that saved me a lot of arguements.

"Once you have your baby everyone becomes the expert. No matter what you do someone will tell you another 'better' way to do it. Just listen, smile and say thankyou. You may not agree with what they say but if you thank them they will stop telling you that you're wrong. Then you have the time to decide if they were on to something or if you would rather just do it the way you were. Everyone's an individual. Do what works for you and your baby and if nobody gets hurt and your baby is happy then you are doing it right."

I had another one in my head but it disappeared as soon as Brianna woke up. Oh well it will come back.

Good luck with the book!

~ Family complete in 2012 ~

I had a little thought today, as I am not long pregnant with another one and am a little pooped, I was thinking about the napping and nap now bit that everyone tells you, well yes I agree with the like you can save it... but I thought today, better get as much as you can now, because the next twenty or so years are going to be pretty sleepless...
Amanda

Jennifer 14.04.98, Eric 25.02.04, Gabriel 25.07.05

This is something my brother said and I find it so relevant, especially when you have your baby in the first few weeks...

"It's great to see the relatives, but it's also great to see the relatives leave!"

ohh too true!

Jo, Sydney mama of 2 boys

Yes, it's good to close the door when everyone leaves!!!!

Victoria ~ 3yr old beautiful twin boys

My # 1 tips is: If someone comes to visit, get them to get the drinks!! If they really want one, They will get it!! And never be afraid to ask someone who is visiting to hang the washing out or get it in for you!!

Times when baby is sleeping should be seen as time out for you heheeh so if ya wanna sleep sleep but lying down and reading a good book you have been meaning too, is also just as revitalising!! and make good use of grand parents, they are always there to dote on ourlittlins, but I do agree u do need to set the boundaries, guess I'm lucky I've got really good inlaws!

Love Kel andmckenzie xoxoxo

Mckenzie Cate 28/7/04 & Lexi Breanne 10/5/07

Sign in to follow this topic