Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

bow legs?? Lock Rss

Hi There Ladies.

My toddler, nearly 2, has one leg that is bowed. It has been this way since birth. Most advice has been that he will grow out of it. However it does not seem to be getting better. He trips every now and then...I am a bit confused as to if this has anything to do with his bow leg or him just being a bull in the china shop!!!

Wondering if any of you have simular stories and what the medical advice was???

I am thinking of getting a ref to a paed. or a physio?? really dont know which one first??

Thanks
K

Louee

hi k

HONESTLY i wouldnt worry about it, my little Jack had what i considered pretty badly bowed legs.
the pediatrician said they werent what they would call servere and that he will grow out of it. i think a lot of it was to do with the fact that he started walking at 9 mths and his legs weren't developed enough to hold his body weight ( not that he was fat by any means )
anyway he is not 2 yrs and 3 months and most sign of it has completly gone.
the peadiatrician did say that it could take another 2 years for it to correct itself so i guess we were lucky.
But i must say i really didn't like the amount of people that would comment on it, as if i hadn't noticed or bothered to do anything about it.
so my advice would be to be patient although its hard. : )
but if you think its getting worse take him back to the doctor let us know how you go.

IStole3ofHeavensAngels, 2 boys, 1 girl

My daughter has knock knee, which is not the same as bow legs, but still a leg problem.

We have been told she will grow out of it also, but she needs to be seen by a physio (and has orthotic insoles in her shoes to help with her walking) and also an orthopaedic surgeon, who will assess her every 6 - 12 months until she either grows out if it, or she will need an operation somewhere between 8 and teen years. Not sure yet if she will need it, but the timing will depend on the severity of her knock knee.

I don't say these things to scare you at all, this is just my little girl.

So I would say YES get it checked out. At least you will have a clear mind that you have nothing to worry about (if it's nothing) but if it is something, then you will be taken care of.

I would get referrals to a physio and a paediatrician. (My daughter has also seen a paediatrician, who has then referred her on to the orthopaedic surgeon - she doesn't see the paed any more)

Also nonnuls - I get annoyed by the amount of negative comments. I try to dress my daughter in 3/4 shorts or longer skirts where possible because I get tired of all the comments and people recommending what I should do with her legs. As if I don't spend enough time hoping and praying she will grow out of it. One person even recommended I get her one of those braces similar to the type the people with cerebral paulsey used.
Yes my Goodness...THE COMMENTS I am sick of hearing, "God he's got a real bandy leg hasnt he???" Like I did not notice.

or "He falls over alot does'nt he"....Ahhhh yeah he is a boy who goes like a bullett out of a gun...of course he is bound to fall over once in a while. Not to the extreme that is made out though.

or "His leg is bad today" ALRIGHT ENOUGH ALREADY I AM AWARE HE HAS A BANDY LEG, What do they expect me to do. I have asked Doctor before and the norm is that he will grow out of it but I cannot help with these comments to feel bad that I am not pursuing any further so to put my mind at ease I will take him to a paed or thew physio for a check up then I can be rest assured.

Thanks for your feedback Gals!!

Louee

I would go to the docs, get a referral to a orthopaedic surgeon. They will probably send him to get x-rays and will be able to tell you if its a 'wait and see' problem or not.
My three year old has 'pigeon-toed'(mostly on one leg), his problem actually stems from in the hip (shown in his xrays). This problem should straighten itself out by the time he is school aged. I was also told when he is out of nappies it will help his leg straighten. It is now a year since and he has been toilet trained since easter last year and I do believe it has gotten better.
In the end if he does need further investigation we have an early xray to compare things with.

Jeninne, WA, Bradyn 24/11/04, #2 Ryan 01/12/06

So I went to the doctor and he did not want to give me a referral as he said no need until Connor is more like 3 yrs old.....I could however take myself to the physio with him so I will just keep monitoring for a short while.

Louee

I was told to wait for him to be walking at least a year before pursuing things further.
I saw the orthopaedic surgeon when BJ was about 2 and 4 months.
OK so nothing really was done only the x-ray. And we have been told to wait until he is nearing school age. But if you aren't happy you could always try another dr.

Jeninne, WA, Bradyn 24/11/04, #2 Ryan 01/12/06

Sign in to follow this topic