Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Toddlers with glasses Lock Rss

My daughter is 21 months old and has had glasses since Februry for extreme long sightedness. She is fantastic with them and rarely takes them off - although in the beginning it was a battle. However, all her little friends pull them off constantly. Any ideas to combat this? Also, I can't believe people's reactions to her glasses " Oh the poor thing", "That must be terrible for her" and the like as if she has a major illness. We are actually preventing later sight problems and a major turn in one or both eyes by catching it at this early stage. How can I get people to react positivelt so as she gets older she doesn't feel "different" or learn to play up to it?

Carly - mummy to Alyssa, Ava and Mason

Isn't it funny how no one gives an adult with glasses a second look but with a child people seam to need to make a comment. My kids don't wear glasses (although my DD has asked to wear them) so I'm not sure if I'm of any help.
My DD has asked why another child at daycare gets to wear glasses and she doesn't so I explained to her that people (like me) wear glasses becausestheir eyes don't work properly and with out them they find it hard to see and read things.
Sorry I'm not much help hopefully someone will come up with a great idea. Sounds like you are doing a great job especially with getting her to keep her glasses on.
my daughter has had glasses from 18 months. we stopped other friends pulling them off with elastic on the back of them. i found some really good books at the libary with kids wearing glasses and a couple of dolls. as for other peoples comments i got tired of hearing the same things like yourself so i then started asking them why was she so disadvantaged when she could now see!!! if its friends or relatives ask them to turn the nrgative into a positive comment.

catherine,SA, 2girls

Hi there - my daughter just got glasses yesterday, she is 3.5 and is long sighted in her right eye - she has been awesome (so far) with keeping them on. I had to bribe her a bit with a new barbie doll, but now she seems fine. Every couple of hours, she has a "break" and then puts them back on - so hopefully it continues. I can't believe people can be so cruel with kids - it is hard enough as a parent to deal with this, let along dealing with other peoples comments. I look forward to hearing other responses so I can be prepared. My 20 month old son has had hearing aids since he was 11 months old, and we have grown his hair so people can't really see them - this has been an emotional rollercoaster, and now we have to go through it all again with our daughter!!!! The comments I get sick off from people are: "it could be worse", "it could be cancer", "with technology going the way it is going ....", etc - they just have no clues!!!!
Sign in to follow this topic