Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

teeth grinding Lock Rss

My toddler (20 months old) grinds his teeth. I heard that this is a sign of worms but when I asked about it, I was told it is usually only a sign of worms if it happens in their sleep (which it doesn't). My toddler just seems to like grinding his teeth and it sounds REALLy bad. Any other parents out there with experience with this? How do I stop it, or should I not worry since they are baby teeth? SHould I take him to a doctor/dentist? Any advice would be appreciated!

I'd be interested too. DD1 does it when she gets really excited, DD2 does it juuuust as she is falling asleep but only for about a half a minute.
oh thats interesting never heard that theory before!!!lol
has he been doing it for very long? DS usually does it heaps when he is getting a tooth and then thats it for a few months or so!

My toddler (20 months old) grinds his teeth. I heard that this is a sign of worms but when I asked about it, I was told it is usually only a sign of worms if it happens in their sleep (which it doesn't). My toddler just seems to like grinding his teeth and it sounds REALLy bad. Any other parents out there with experience with this? How do I stop it, or should I not worry since they are baby teeth? SHould I take him to a doctor/dentist? Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi,
My son went through this stage he was teeth grinding constantly, so we took him to the dentist and they checked his teeth and said he hasn't done any damage but just to keep a eye on him doing it. They said its a normal thing they do and realising they are starting to get teeth. He has stopped doing it now but does it once in awhile. There's nothing you can do about it but if you make a big fuss about him doing it he will do it even more, that's what we found out with our son.

Hope he stops soon!!!!!!! Good luck!!!!!!!

Brocks Mummy

Haha, never heard the worm theory! My daughter started doing it from a very young age every time she was teething, she has all her teeth now but still does it occassionally, I think she likes the feel of it! The sound of it goes right through me though...it's horrible! we did start to ask her not to do it as she would hurt her teeth but as defiant as she is, this just made her do it more!!! We have now chosen to ignore it, she is 2 years old & probably overdue for a trip to the dentist so I am going to make her an appointment (get her into it early...don't want her to end up scared like her mum)! I will mention it to him.
Hi everyone. Thanks for the replies. I actually met a dentist last night and I asked him about toddler teeth and taking them to the dentist and he told me that the sooner kids can go to the dentist, the better. Even if they just sit on our lap and have the dentist look in their mouth for a few seconds (if that's all that the kids will allow). SO we to will be booking ourselves in to the dentist and take our son with us.

As for the teeth grinding, he appears to have stopped at the moment, so maybe it is a teething thing. I read a bit about it and everything I read said not to worry too much but to keep an eye on it.

Sign in to follow this topic