Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

3yr old still dribbling Rss

So my 3 yr old is still dribbling as much as he was when he was teething as a baby. He drenches his t-shirts where i have to change them many times during the day to keep him semi dry. We have tried everything to stop this as thought it was just a bad habit. Nothing has worked! I took him to our family doc to get their opinion and he had no idea and said if i was worried about it they could book him in for a procedure to put a camara down his throat to have a look incase something tiny is stuck. sad

This freaks me out, i dont want to put him thru this to find out its just a bad habit that he will grow out of.

Has anyone had a 3 yr old who dribbles worse than a baby?? How did you get them to stop?

Need advice please....
hey my cuz lil girl dribbled alot when she was 2ish but grew out of it she also had difficulty with pronouncing certain sounds.

Also a lady that goes to my play group has a 3 yo boy who soaks his shirts and her doc told her it's normal and he'll grow out of it.
I hope this is the case for u and there's nothing serious.

There are bandana bibs u can buy for toddlers, so they look like they have a trendy scarf or bandana around their neck instead of a bib. Maybe this will help instead of changing shirts so often.

Goodluck!!!

Kiddi <3

I was planning on writing this exact post this evening!

Our 2.5yo DS1 dribbles all the time. It is so excessive that people comment on it continuously and I've had to design and sew my own "big boy bibs". He has an eczema patch on his chin from being perpetually wet.

We asked our Dr and MCH nurse at 18months. The MCH joked about the Dribbling Clinic at the RCH for children aged 4+ that still dribble and said not to worry. They both said he would grow out of it. He didn't!

We've tried lots of different things also: reminders to swallow, showing him his reflection in a mirror, explaining how it feels to swallow etc. Unfortunately, these haven't worked.

Our research now has us heading to a Speech Therapist. Our son was an early talker with a great vocab but the SpT will work with him on how he uses his mouth muscles to swallow. See link here.

Dribbling

We have our first (expensive!) appointment next Thursday but feel greatly relieved that we are finally DOING something instead of just waiting for a miracle!

Wanted to add: Your family DR sounds a little ignorant? There is lots of info out there about dribbling in older children. Wouldn't you have noticed at SOME point if your child had something caught in his throat for 3 years!

A friend's DS had this same issue, although his speech was delayed as well. To look at him, you would notice that his mouth was almost always open and he dribbled a lot.

His parents got a speech therapist involved which made a huge difference. It turned out that the muscles around his mouth were weak. They were given a range of exercises to do with him (he thought they were games) which enabled him to spend more time with his mouth closed - stopped the dribbling - and imporoved his speech production.

Unfortunately, they stopped doing the exercises and now at nearly 5 the problem is recurring. sad
Ditto the speech therapist avenue. A good one should give you exercises to strengthen his muscles. A good first point anyway.
Thanks for the replys.

@ (Wanted to add: You're family DR sounds a little ignorant? There is lots of info out there about dribbling in older children. Wouldn't you have noticed at SOME point if your child had something caught in his throat for 3 years!)
Yes i agree we are in the process of finding a new family doc as not happy with a few things with this doctor. still looking so fingers crossed

DS1 has never had any problems with his speech or sounding out words etc, started talking really early and very clear. But i think ill still look into exercises to strengthen his muscles smile Thanks
Sign in to follow this topic