Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Tooth help! Rss

My 13mo DS recently has his front tooth pulled out due to falling over and it splitting in his. He had to have surgery to have it removed but his dentist never put a spacer in there to stop the teeth on either side from moving closer together. Since having it done i have had a few people tell me he needs to have the spacer and i should be getting onto it ASAP where as the paediatric dentist who did the procedure said it was unnecessary. Does anyone have any kids who went through a similar experience and have any advice? Thanks

My 13mo DS recently has his front tooth pulled out due to falling over and it splitting in his. He had to have surgery to have it removed but his dentist never put a spacer in there to stop the teeth on either side from moving closer together. Since having it done i have had a few people tell me he needs to have the spacer and i should be getting onto it ASAP where as the paediatric dentist who did the procedure said it was unnecessary. Does anyone have any kids who went through a similar experience and have any advice? Thanks

Hi

As far as I know the baby teeth do hold the space for the adult teeth to come through so I'd hazzard a guess a spacer is necessary - what I'd do if I was in your shoes is get a second opinion from another paediatric dentist, that way you can be assured what's the right way to go.

Possibly in your sons situation it is unneccessary but I'd get a second opinion just to be sure, you dont want him having ongoing issues.
I think there are 2 schools of thought on this. My duaghter recently ahd to have some dental work done on rotting teeth. Our dentist capped them with stainless steel crowns and whe I asked why can't he just pull them out he explained that that was what was often done in the past but what they've found is that it is better to keep them in to space the adult teeth as they come through so that long term dental costs are less so for example instead of wearing braces (as most kids inevitably do) for 3-4 years they only need then for 2.
Personally I'd be looking into a spacer if possible.
Sign in to follow this topic