Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

eczema treatments Rss

My DS had mild eczema (little but on his bum & inside of elbows). I was told to use sigmacort by the GP as needed. All was ok, until the last month where it is getting worse & not clearing up. I have changed washing powders a few times in the last few months, so i'm hoping that's the cause of it getting worse (I have just started using the omo sensitive powder & no fabric softner in our clothes, just towels, & i'm using the cuddly sensitive softner)
I use QV wash on him & an oatmeal based shampoo.
A friend has seen the paediatric dermatologist earlier this year & he told her to use sigmacort 3 times a day for 10days max then stop.Moisturise well & to use the omo powder that I use. So I am trying this at the moment.
99% of his clothes are cotton & i have also been told not to use ribbed singlets as this will aggrevate it.
I see my GP on friday & i'm going to get a referral to a paediatric dermatologist, but just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions as it could take awhile before i get into see him.
I give my daughter oatmeal baths, nothing else works and I make sure the water isn't too hot as it makes the eczema flare up. On the odd occasion her eczema will flare up again, but now only on her legs or bum but before she would get it all over her chin, stomach, feet, hands etc..

Thank-you Cy_Lec. I'll pop out to the shops inthe morning & get an oatmeal based product for the bath & see how that goes.
Lisa107 wrote:
Thank-you Cy_Lec. I'll pop out to the shops inthe morning & get an oatmeal based product for the bath & see how that goes.

How is your son's eczema going? I forgot to tell you I actually use oatmeal the old fashioned way, I just buy uncle toby's traditional oats, fill them into a cut stocking and tie it and use it as a loofer on my DD1.
I hope it is clearing up smile
Thanks for asking Cy_Lec,
I haven't needed to use the oatmeal as yet. He has cleared up quite a bit, but I have to have a break from the sigmacort in a few days, so i'll see what happens when I stop using it. We always have oats in the hosue, so I will definently give that a go if it flares back up again.
All his clothes have now been washed in the omo sensitive aswell, so i'm not sure if the flare up was from my change in washing powders.
I am going to the GP this afternoon & will get my referal to the paediatric dermatologist.
My DD was never this bad & cleared up completely by the time she was 2, DS is just over 18mths, so FX he clears up aswell.
Try not to use to much sigmacort as it thins the skin out in the lil ones so not good for them. Ive been there with mine. What state do u live in. If ure in wa i can give u the details of a great pharmasist that does all natural stuff. And itsbrilliant.
i saw the paediatric dermatologist & he was fantastic. He prescribed Advantan for him (he told me sigmacort is for face & GP shouldn't have given it to me) & the same process use it for 10 days morning & night, then have a break for 4 days & repeat.
I had to get all my carpets/lounges steam cleaned & I have to vaccum 2-3times/week (I do it practially every day anyway) as if he develops a dust mite allergy there isa high chance of him having this for life!

I use dermeeze to moisturise him, it is very greasy, but it seems to last for a lot longer than the other creams i was using.

Anyway, I only needed to use the Advantan for 4 days & DS had cleared up. We are able to get back into the pool for swimming lessons & I only moisturise as needed now (generally once every 2 days instead of morning & night). smile
Lisa107 wrote:
I had to get all my carpets/lounges steam cleaned & I have to vaccum 2-3times/week (I do it practially every day anyway) as if he develops a dust mite allergy there isa high chance of him having this for life!

Anyway, I only needed to use the Advantan for 4 days & DS had cleared up. We are able to get back into the pool for swimming lessons & I only moisturise as needed now (generally once every 2 days instead of morning & night). smile

advantan is a moisturizer? is it effective? vacuuming all carpets might help in getting rid of dustmites or better yet remove carpets in your house, use a dehumidifier as well to maintain humidity level in your house and control the growth of dustmites
Sign in to follow this topic