Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Your Toddler's Health
  5. Is it bad to not spit out toothpaste?

Is it bad to not spit out toothpaste? Lock Rss

I really hope the 'tooth spammer' doesnt reply to this, but all the dental hygiene posts reminded my to ask you guys about my 18mth old swallowing his toothpaste. I only started using baby toothpaste with him about 2 months ago, up til then it was just water and toothbrush. But at first when using the toothpaste he used to try and spit it out when I told him to spit, and he would successfully spit out little bits and he would also spit out the rinsing water at the end. But now he is just swallowing the toothpaste and also the rinsing water and just isnt trying to spit until after he swallows it and then he pretends to. What do you guys think? Is it bad for him to be swallowing the toothpaste? Should I just go back to brushing without the paste until he is willing to start spitting it out again?
Thank you for the replies. I will stop using his toothpaste immediately and just stick with water and brush for now. Thanks for the info on the fluoride free pastes I will check out those out. Thanks heaps.
My dentist told my kids on Monday not to rinse after brushing their teeth & gave them booth Colgate toothpaste with liquid calcium in it. She also said it was ok for them to swallow a little bit.

Just saw this after I just posted my other reply. Thanks for your input, I totally thought you had to rinse with water afterwards. Oops, maybe thats where Ive been going wrong with my own teeth, would be a weird feeling for me not to rinse though.
I went to the dentist just before Christmas and I was told not to rinse either! I just can't bring myself to do it though and still encourage my kids to spit it out. It's a poison isn't it??
[There is a brand called jack and Jill which is great and is available at health food shops or online.] quote

Oh wow. I used to use this toothpaste as a kid. Went looking for it for my kids but haven't been able to find it. I thought it no longer existed. Guess I'm going to have to go searching again wink
I remember being told by a dentist as a child not to rinse so never did until I became pregnant...it just felt wrong then.

My dentist told my kids on Monday not to rinse after brushing their teeth & gave them booth Colgate toothpaste with liquid calcium in it. She also said it was ok for them to swallow a little bit.

OMG! No it is NOT GOOD for anyone to to swallow toothpaste! I can't believe you've been told a bit is ok!
My kids use a few different ones, Ankle Biters and the other is AloeDent. They are from health food shop. I use a non fluoride paste called Red Seal which I get at the supermarket, it's still minty so more like normal toothpaste
80sBaby - you're not a bad parent! Using fluoride toothpaste is recommended. And the no rinsing thing is to provide further tooth protection.

Here's something I found from a quick Google search -

Protecting your children’s teeth
Children’s teeth need particular protection as they develop. Suggestions include:

- Brushing teeth without toothpaste until the age of 18 months
- Introducing a low-fluoride toothpaste when a child is approximately 18 months old. Choose a low-fluoride toothpaste designed especially for children
- Using a child-size toothbrush with soft bristles
- Using only a pea-size amount of toothpaste, smeared over the toothbrush
- Encouraging children to spit out toothpaste, not swallow it. Don’t rinse
- Supervising children when they brush their teeth until you are sure they can do it well
- Continuing to use low fluoride toothpaste for children until they are six years old
- Don’t use fluoride supplements in the form of drops or tablets to be chewed or swallowed. They can affect the development of your child’s adult teeth.

If your drinking water is not fluoridated, seek professional dental advice about the use of fluoride toothpaste for children. A dental professional may advise more frequent use of fluoride toothpaste, commencement of toothpaste at a younger age or earlier commencement of use of standard toothpaste.
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcart...

Thanx tigerlily. That explains why the dentist changed the kids toothpaste. We mainly live on tank water & our town waters not that good.

You're welcome smile

I never got out of the habit of using only a pea sized amount of fluoride toothpaste x2 a day, never rinsed (until preggers) and I have never had a cavity grin Might be something in it wink

80sBaby wrote:
Thanks Tigerlily. See that's what I thought but then just thought...hang on a second?! Lol

Maybe the fluoride free toothpaste would be good for kids that try to swallow it and won't spit? But generally it's recommended to use it.

Yep smile I wouldn't recommend kids swallow it so non-fluoride might be the way to go until they get the hang of spitting. I know it's such a freak out moment when you think you've been doing things right and then it gets questioned!

80sBaby wrote:
Tigerlily. wrote:
80sBaby wrote:
Thanks Tigerlily. See that's what I thought but then just thought...hang on a second?! Lol

Maybe the fluoride free toothpaste would be good for kids that try to swallow it and won't spit? But generally it's recommended to use it.

Yep smile I wouldn't recommend kids swallow it so non-fluoride might be the way to go until they get the hang of spitting. I know it's such a freak out moment when you think you've been doing things right and then it gets questioned!

Yeah it was a bit of a freak out moment! I thought "omg how dumb am I I thought it was good I was giving it to them and now I find out years later I've been poisoning them" haha. Thanks for helping me be able to sleep tonight smile

laugh You're welcome smile

Sign in to follow this topic