Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Fantastic Tip Lock Rss

I've got a fantastic tip (well I think so anyway)

My 2 year old DD had a horrible cough that we could not get rid off. Duro-tuss did help but only for the first 3 hours. It was day 3 and none of us had hardly any sleep in those 3 days until a friend of mine gave me a wonderful tip. She told me that you probably going to think that I am crazy but try it before you laugh.

TIP: Put vick vaporub on the heel of your childs feet and put socks over them. NO KIDDING ... she stopped coughing within 30 min and we all slept well that night!

My friend studies reflexology so I guess that's where she would have know what part of the foot works the nose/throat area.

Hope you don't think that I am mad ... like my friend said, try it before you laugh!

Hope this tip will help someone.

Angelique

My 2 Angels, Vanessa 10 & Tahlia 2

No laughs here LOL

Will try it though...DS has had varying symptoms of cold/viruses for 7 weeks now. We get rid of one symptom and then another appears or the same one reappears, coughing being one of them. Dr tried to tell me it was reflux but I'm skeptical as he hasn't suffered from reflux since 6months old-stopped medication and thickened formula at around 7 months.

I have got a pead appt but at the end of June, so we have a bit of a wait.

He has had diarohea briefly then some 6 weeks later severe for a day then nothing..... coughing, sneezing, fevers on and off, ear infection (had antibiotics and 3 days after he finished them and appeared well....diarohea hit as did the coughing and sneezing)

I'm at my wit's end. I'm half tempted to cancel playgroup(Mon) and family day care (Tues) for the rest of the term so he has a good break and recovers fully. I work nights so playgroup falls right on his and my sleep time in the morning and he goes to FDC so I can catch up on sleep, ironing etc.... so it is no real biggy if he stop for the time being.

I'm going to definetely try then vicks on his heels though.
I feel so much better for the vent... LOL

Jo

Jo, DD 7yrs dance addict; little man 13 months

not laughing either nor do I think your mad, because I do it too!! A friend told me years ago, when I only had 2 kids, and thats what we do now, works a treat, although people do think i am silly when i let them know as well.
My mum told me this tip and I've used it with my son.
Yes, it works! The colds seem to get better faster.
[Edited on 03/06/2007]

I feel so much better now that I know that you do the same alwaysawake! I was very reluctant to post this tip but am glad that I have someone to BACK me up!!!

Take care,

Angelique

Hi Jo,

Angelique here. I know it is really tough but if you could manage to take your son out of day-care, playgroup for even 3 days, it will allow his body to rest and stay away from al the other colds/sicknesses that the other children may have.

I used to work nightshift so very well know that it is hard to stay up for even an hour after you have come home. I had to do it on a few occasions with my eldest child (2nd wasn't born yet)work an 8-9 hour shift, then come home and look after a sick child until she would finally fall a sleep.

I work in child-care and the difference in a child who continues to go to child-care whilst having a cold and a major difference with a child that has been taken out for several days!.

Please don't think that I am trying to tell you what to do ... I am not like that and am only trying to help!

It surely sound like your going through a rough time at the moment ... I hope he will get well soon and that both of you have some rest.

Take care,

Angelique

I am trying it on my 2 yo tonight, she has been coughing on and off for about 8 weeks at night. And so far she has coughed once slightly tonight. I will let you know tomorrow.

Bernie
Hi Angelique,

I used to work in child care and coul;dn't agree with you more- I lost count of the amount of times kids got a fever come 11am when the morning dose of panadol wore off.

I have been keeping him home when unwell but he seems well and recovered for a few days so we end up going to playgoup/FDC and then he gets it again.

Given that I can keep him out for the rest of the term-i think I'll take your advice though and let his immunity build back up before we go back to both....

I think it's all the others coming along to playgroup with running noses and the 'oh, he was vomiting last night' thing IYKWIM GRRRRR... makes me SO angry when I keep mine away when sick sad

Vicks seems to be helping, but his little bottom is bleeding even with vasoline....

Jo

Jo, DD 7yrs dance addict; little man 13 months

it's fantastic isn't it.

i do the same thing with my 2yr old ds when he is sick.

it works everytime

Thanks for the tip. I had no idea. Will be using it next time DD has a cold. Wish I had known about this two weeks earlier.

DD 18 months

Do you use Vicks or Baby Balsam?

Well normally I would use baby balsam but I think I may have left it when we went to NSW so I used the normal vicks but just a little bit as it is very strong for little ones.

Cheers, Angelique

Sign in to follow this topic