Nappy Pants

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Your Toddler's Health
  5. giving medication and fluid intake

giving medication and fluid intake Lock Rss

hi I have a 14month old who gets into the biggest fit when i try and give her any type of liquard pain relief.Ive tried the syringe,droppers.spoon,medicine cups.and still gets into a big crying fit.She use to take it without any problems but now i have to tilt her head back and squeeze her cheeks to stop her spitting it out,She does get over it quickly but I feel so mean doing this .Also she only drinks 1 cup of fluids a day how can I get her to drink more as I live in a small town where it gets to 45degrees from november some times even less then 1 cup all advice needed thanks jo smilesmile
Hi there

I have just been given for my newborn a fantastic little medicine feeder and i cant see why it wouldnt work on a 14 month old. It is a plastic little cup that has a screw on teat like a bottle teat. I saw them in BIG W for $5 it works a treat - my newborn needs Mylanta after his feeds and before he would spit it out and scream but with this little invention he sucks it back without a problem.
I dont really know about the drinking issue but when it gets warmer she might just naturally start to want more, as long as it is there for offer and easily in reach so she can sip when she feels like it hopefully this will work. I usually have 2 drinkers full of water out for my daughters (2 each) and one is left in the lounge and one in the kitchen and gradually through the day they both get emptied. - Good Luck
Hi

Cant help you on the medication, my DD loves it and comes running smile But on the drinking more, have you tried a straw cup? You can buy cups with lids that the straws go into so wont spill, my DD will drink a whole cup (which is pretty big) if I give her one of those but only takes a little from a sipper cup. She also drinks alot out of those sports bottles with the pop up lids - must be fun.
The other thing you could try with the drinking issue is giving your little one icy poles. Make them yourself with diluted apple juice or really weak natural cordial. Sometimes they will suck on an icy pole when they wont drink, and it is all the same fluid.....

hi thanks for all ur great ideas,ill give them a try and let you know how she goes thanks jo:)
Posted by: geoffamelia
The other thing you could try with the drinking issue is giving your little one icy poles. Make them yourself with diluted apple juice or really weak natural cordial. Sometimes they will suck on an icy pole when they wont drink, and it is all the same fluid.....
hi i recently had the same prob with my DS taking cold meds .. they dnt seem to taste as good as wen i had then as a child... but anyway i asked the chemist if it was ok to pop it in his bottle with his milk and i was told as long as they drink it all then its fine as they will get the right dose but if ur not sure they said to put it in with juts a small amount of milk so they drink all that first then give them the rest of their drink after... hope that helps.. if ur child uses a dummy then maybe the dummy that has a med cup attatched to it might also work i used one my son hasnt had a dummy since he was 6 months old so i do find the bottle and milk thing works great.

as for the drinking i used to just hav a lil straw cup and a sipper cup in the play room and in the bedroom and id pretend to hav lil sips out of it and my son thought it was funny so he started to take sips of it when eva he passed the cup.... now he walks around the house with a lil cup of water all day he thinks he is so big now... he is only 15 months lol. i found that if i tried to make him drink he wudnt want it but he has more wen he thinks im not looking.
hope this helps good luck.
[Edited on 15/10/2007]

Sign in to follow this topic