Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More

Daycare half days? Lock Rss

Hi, my DD is currently 16 months and I am planning on sending her to daycare once a week around Easter just for her socially and play with other kids. I am only wanting to send her for half a day as I am a SAHM I dont really need her in care for a whole day and I think that would be too long for her. Someone told me that daycare centres dont offer half days. Is that right, or is it possible to find ones offering half days? Im not sure about cost either so not sure what is reasonable. Being a SAHM Im assuming Im not entitled to any rebate. Whatever its costs will be worth it as I think she would really benefit from it.
Any advise and info would be great! Thanks in advance!
Generally preschools do offer half days (But not all do) but it is much better to send your child either for a whole day or two half days. The reason for this is that a child will settle much more easily and far quicker if they are there more often. However it does depend one the centre you choose and your child! Good luck
Thanks for your reply. Looks like I will just to have look around and see what is about. Im not opposed to her going two mornings a week so will consider that, just feel that a full day will be too long for her, at least at the begining. Thanks for answering my question, nice to know I could have the option! We have a centre in walking distance to our house so hoping that one will work out well smile
You probably would be better to send her to half days. You are right in thinking that a whole day at preschool is to long! Children get tired more quickly at preschool as it is busier. Also if she's never been away from you then half day is long enough!
If you put DD into Family Daycare you only pay for the hours your child attends but you must nominate the time period/day so the carer knows.

The other daycares you pay for the day no matter how short or long a period they are there for the day and again you must nominate what days your child attends.

I did look into Family Daycare but couldn't find a carer that I clicked with. DS goes to a church run daycare now and is fine with it, it's the same as the long daycare centres but is a non-profit centre. They are hard to find and get into as well.
Posted by: mum2daniel

The other daycares you pay for the day no matter how short or long a period they are there for the day and again you must nominate what days your child attends.

Is that true of all centres in Aussie? In NZ some centres do let you only pay for half days. Most centres do both all day care and part day care. you can choose the hours/days that suit you and are charged accordingly. My DD was going 2 half days and I was only charged for the half day she was booked in for. Seems a bit of a rip off to be paying whole day when you only ask for half!
Posted by: My2princesses
Posted by: mum2daniel

Is that true of all centres in Aussie? In NZ some centres do let you only pay for half days. Most centres do both all day care and part day care. you can choose the hours/days that suit you and are charged accordingly. My DD was going 2 half days and I was only charged for the half day she was booked in for. Seems a bit of a rip off to be paying whole day when you only ask for half!

Thanks mum2daniel! My2princesses, yeah that is what Im finding and seems to be the norm sad My cousin's DD does 2 half days in the UK and pays accordingly, so may just be here.
I found out some info about the child care benefit. I assumed being a SAHM i'd pay the full amount but I get some discount. I dont understand fully but think he said I would pay the gap after $36? So looks like I will being paying half of what I thought anyway so am not to worried now, think I will book her in for a day and then pick her up when Im ready rather than sticking to a time. I think she would be exhausted after a full day but guess I should let her see how she goes with it.
In the mean time I have decided to send her to family day care for few months/weeks. My neighbour does it so I will be sending her there. I was visiting today and she has a fantastic set up. She used to work in a centre but now does this as she has 2 girls. She is flexible and will have her half a day a week for a few weeks and take it from there. I think she would be better in a centre but thought this would be a good way to ease her into it as she hasnt been left with anyone but my mum before, and she is with someone I know and she will be over the back fence so if she cries and is unhappy I will hear lol
I still think thats a rip off! Maybe it's just cos I'm used to what happens in NZ! sounds like you have reached a good solution, hope it all goes smoothly for you!
Yeah I its a rip off. I guess it is their way of being booked for the whole day.
Will be interesting to see how she goes next week, will feel strange leaving her!
It is wierd. I have recently been on maternity leave and took my DD1 to preschool a few days. It was he first time I've left her and I hated doing it even though I know she is fine and have worked closely with all of the teachers and know them well!
hi there, centres charge full days, i used to work in a centre but i do my own home day care now, thats your best bet as in home day care they should do half days, i charge by the hr but if the child is in for a full day i work out a price, eg i charge 15 an hr and if a child is in my care for more then 4hrs then its a set rate of 50dollars food incl but everything parents bring. your other bet is a babysitter but then your child wont get used to other children.
It will feel strange leaving her, but at least she isnt far away and I know the person she is with.
Tinalg the family day care is charging an hourly rate and I am sending her with nappies and food, not that she will eat much in 3 hours as she will have breakfast before she goes and I will collect her time for her nap and she has lunch after that. This is only temporary at this stage. We are going away for 5 weeks from next month so this will be until we go away and I will investigate centres after that. Im not to worry about the full day thing now as turns out I wont be paying as much as I thought I would, and I can be flexible with what time I collect her if I am out in around lunch time. The Family day care will be a good way to see what she is like, but she will probably be fine with it and it is just be having first time mum worries!!
Sign in to follow this topic