for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Your Toddler - General Chat
  5. toddler throwing temper tantrums etc

toddler throwing temper tantrums etc Lock Rss

hi there im a mum of 4 kids but my youngest DD 2.5 is a menais she is the worst out of all of them at this age she throws a temper tantrum as soon as i say no dont touch ot we dont throw toys etc and at night if she doesnt want to sleep then she screams and screams for hours we hav tried leaving her in there to show her tis nighttime and no mucking arround but she gets sooo hysterically worked up she just wont sleep till you get her up then you hav to cuddle her for like and hour after

we have tried letting her stay up and extra half hour to hour to get her really tired we have tried to play with her and tucker her out before bed and we have tried to go in give hre a cuddle and say ok i luv you nighty nighty and shut the door and i mean we did this 2 nights in a row she didnt sleep till 3am

lastnight it was 11pm and my DF got her up and she didnt come back till 4am HELP this is getting insaine but i cant sit out the door and let her cry it out cause it only upsets her and us at the sametime sad

suggestions welcomed
natty xoxox
bump
I'd say she's over tired, behaviour is much much worse and getting them to sleep is so much harder.

I think she needs a strict routine and to be in bed by 7pm of a night and just do the same thing every night and put up with the carrying on until she gets it that bedtime is bedtime.

My 18 month olds routine is

7-7.30am wake & breakfast
10am morning tea
11.30am lunch
12.30pm sleep for an hour and a half
3pm afternoon tea
5.30pm dinner then bath and play
6.30pm stories if we have time
6.45pm bottle and bed so that she's asleep by 7pm

My 4 year old has the same routine but no day time sleep or bottle before bed.

Usually they go to sleep without a drama but my 18 month old had a week or so recently where she'd cry and want cuddles and wouldnt go to sleep for another hour. It took several nights of leaving her to cry for a while, going in saying its time for sleep and putting her back to bed (after checking nappy, maybe giving some bonjela cause she's teething). Then she went back to going to sleep without a peep. I think once you let them up or stay in there for a hour or so cuddling they expect it and will lose their minds if they dont get it. At this age I think you can be a bit tougher on them and leave them 15 mins to cry, go and check and repeat its time for sleep, leave another 15 mins and so on. Its not nice while you have to do it but worth it because lack of sleep really affects them... and us!

Sounds like your little one knows you will give in and to make it easier on yourself dont sit outside her room, go to the other side of the house and then come back after 15 mins - you are doing it for the greater good. You cant break cycles like this without some tears.
thankyou for your reply she does have a strict routine pretty much the same as yours im a routine mum for sure its the best thing invented i feel but shes allways been a difficult child since birth and i have tried what you suggested and we were up it 4am in the morning then she woke at 7am sooo grumpy etc it was terrible she just continues to go and go and go but thx i might give it another go xoxo

thankyou for your reply she does have a strict routine pretty much the same as yours im a routine mum for sure its the best thing invented i feel but shes allways been a difficult child since birth and i have tried what you suggested and we were up it 4am in the morning then she woke at 7am sooo grumpy etc it was terrible she just continues to go and go and go but thx i might give it another go xoxo

Maybe give some Brauers Calm a go before bedtime and see if that helps, its a homeopathic medicine with chammomile and maybe after a few days she'll settle better into going to bed at 7pm which will have a knock on effect of being better in the day and easier to put to bed. You can get it at chemists.

My eldest is a very emotional child, she's really happy, really mad or really sad - I've found preservatives and food colourings really make her behaviour bad so we are working on that at the moment. She had some marshmallows the other day as a treat for sitting still for the hairdresser and boy was she feral after that and so aggressive. Could be diet too or maybe just temperament... in which case we are stuffed smile My girl definitely has a strong reaction to some foods and goes hyper and then in a really bad mood and very naughty.

Oh and maybe something else to consider is perhaps she's getting her molar teeth or there's some other health issue that's preventing her sleeping... possibly worms (that can also make them really irritable).
Sign in to follow this topic