Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Your Toddler - General Chat
  5. Should I put DD in a toddler bed?

Should I put DD in a toddler bed? Lock Rss

She has always loved her cot but the last 3 months has been hard. She has been waking at night which she has never done in her life, and the last week she screams when she sees her cot. (she has a cold though)

I took her to the dr, and apart from the cold, there is nothing wrong with her.

Would a bed help or worsen the situation? What is your experience with this?

TIA
DD2 has been in a bed for about a month now and she is 20 months. I have put all of mine straight into a single bed, never bothered with the toddler beds, it's just another transition you need to make later on down the track when they out grow it. DD2 has a bed rail on her bed and loves it, she sleeps all night the same as she did in her cot. If you have the room to set up a bed and leave the cot you could always start with a slow transition. Good luck.
Thanks for responding. I'm not sure on a bed as her room is so tiny it wouldn't really fit with the change table as well.

We were just going to take the side off her cot, but due to her cot hatred I wanted something else.

But now I'm thinking a single and we will just jam the table in.
Is it possible to just take the sides off her cot and see how she goes? Or even just one side for now?

We went away last weekend and DD (2 in 2 days time) slept in a big girl bed while away cos the porta cot wouldn't fit in the room properly. She didn't do too bad - not as bad as i would have thought.

She is still in her cot at home though, and will be for a couple of months yet.

But there are many kids who end up in a big bed by the time they are 1, as they climb out of their cots, so except for the constant getting up, I don't see a huge issue at 21mths.

Ben 25/10/06 + Erin 10/9/08

I wouldn't really bother with a toddler bed if you can get away with it - you're just going to have to spend more money later on down the track..
Both mine were in single beds at 21 months - DS maybe a little earlier coz DD2 was due earlier..

We didn't do any big transition thing - just told them what was going on - hyped it up a tad, and waited for night sleep before putting them in there - no dramas at all!

Maybe let her pick out a quilt cover or a special cushion or something?
Good luck!

Thanks for responding. I'm not sure on a bed as her room is so tiny it wouldn't really fit with the change table as well.

We were just going to take the side off her cot, but due to her cot hatred I wanted something else.

But now I'm thinking a single and we will just jam the table in.

With her cot hatred, maybe let her see you take the sides off and tell her it is her big girl bed. Even though she may not understand everything about it, she will be able to see and understand that her bed is different.

Good luck smile

Ben 25/10/06 + Erin 10/9/08

DD1 went through this. It was kind of like- she didn't want to be imprisoned! Hated seeing all those bars around her. So, one day, I just said- you want to sleep in this bed? (Toddler bed). She said yes, and that was it. I doubt she will have any probs transitioning to a single as she sleeps with us heaps and on the futon and on the couch! Everywhere really!

Good luck smile

only one way to find out! give it a go, and if it doesn't work out just try again in a month or two. you will soon find out if it is going to make a difference.

if you decide to do it, get her involved in the process - have her help make the bed up, or even help choose her sheets/doona cover etc, so she is excited about it. does she use a pillow in her cot? i gave DS1 a pillow before he changed over, so he would have something familiar to take into his new bed.

oh and we tried him in a toddler bed, but he didn't take to it, so we left it for a few months and then tried again in a normal bed and it worked second time round. we also got him mickey mouse clubhouse doona cover/pillow case and he loved that, so was excited to use his new bed.

i decided not to do the toddler bed because that would mean we would have to go through the same process again to change him to a big bed, so we just skipped a step.

At 13.5 months DD1 started fighting sleep & was waking a lot through the night. We decided to give her a try in the single bed (it was already set up in her room) and havent looked back. She went back to her normal sleeping pattern - it seemed she had just had eough of her cot.
Id give it a try - good luck!!

As the others have said, you'll only know if you try it.

DD1 moved into a single bed with a rail when she was 17 months but that was only because DD2 needed to transition from the cradle to the cot. If DD1 hadnt have been ready, we would have bought another cot.

DD1's sleep from 6-18 months was horrendous - up in the middle of the night for hours every night. Within about 10 days of being in her "big girl bed" she started sleeping through the night again and within about a month of moving her, she was able to fall asleep on her own without our assistance.

For us, the Big Girl Bed has been a blessing!
My 2 were both in a single bed by the time they were 15 months and they went great, neither of them got out of bed once i put them in there.
Both my boys went into single beds within a couple of months of their 1st birthdays and they both went great!

Sign in to follow this topic