Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More

Almost 4 y.o Lock Rss

Hi all,

I have noticed many of the kids my daughters age are quite actively writing, their names, parents names etc. My DD speaks really well and recognises words to read, but is struggling with writing her name. I know they all develop at their own pace. Curious to know what other four year olds are doing with regards to writing words. smile

Hi all,

I have noticed many of the kids my daughters age are quite actively writing, their names, parents names etc. My DD speaks really well and recognises words to read, but is struggling with writing her name. I know they all develop at their own pace. Curious to know what other four year olds are doing with regards to writing words. smile

my 4yr turns 5 in April has no interest as yet to right her name that is one of the reasons i didnt send her to school this year. She loves her books and looking at them but im not pushing her she will do it in her own time at preschool they have for the kids going on to school the following year school time where they are learning their abc and numbers she will get there in her own time smile
My daughter is 3 and a half, and I only know personally one kid older than her (around 4) and they are nowhere near writing their names. If I am lucky, my daughter can write the letter E if I write it first for her to copy. I think people expect too much of kids these days...
No i wouldn't worry about it and not put it either.... I work at a pre school and some of the parents wanted the children writing their names..... so we did a sign in sheet and the kids could try if they wanted to.... Me i am not a believer because she will get it when she is ready.... she can also prob do things that the others can do..

this is a parent led activity.... i would just say do you want me to write your name on that or do you want to do it.... and do what ever she says.... if she wants to do leave her to it if not you do it.... quite offen you find children with school aged brothers and sisters want to do writing and homework..... but the oldest children in the family offen has no concept until nearly 5..... if they chose too.... smile
DD1 is 3 years 10 months old and can only write an S (for Sarah). Like your DD she speaks very well and is great with her pre reading skills but has never been great at drawing objects despite loving drawing. I'm not really concerned though, she'll do it when she's ready.
My DS was 4 last month and he can write his name, its nowhere near perfect and he cant keep on a straight line, but its legible. i haven't taught him, he has learnt from daycare. he only goes 2 days a week, but last year, due to lack of numbers in the centre, they combined the 3-4 and 4-5 year old classes, so he was doing the preschool stuff.
Sign in to follow this topic