Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Getting rid of the dummy! Lock Rss

My daughter is 21 months so I figure it is time she gave up her dummy ... what age did you all make your babies give up? I also want to know what is the best way to do it ... make her go cold turkey or what?

She only has it for sleeping and also around 5:00pm when she is very tired, so it isn't like she's dependent on it the whole time. Her daycare tells me that they don't give it to her anymore for day sleeps and she doesn't mind, although for various reasons I don't believe them, but one day last week I forgot to pack it in her bag and she certainly managed the whole day without it.
DS had a dummy from 3 months (I had to stop BF at 3 months for medical reasons) to 12 months and then we took it off him cold turkey. He was fine.
I took coopers of him just after his second birthday! HE was so depended on his it had to come everywhere with us. And he would talk with it in his mouth which i didnt like so

One day i was not in a good mood and he started talking with it is no i took it and said that is it the dummy i gone now.

HE walked off went and played didnt care to my suprise.

So at sleep time he had a cry for about 5mins and that was it. I was so surprised but so happy to have it gone!

So i like the cold turkey but in saying that cooper was older so he kind of understood!
My daugter is 23 months old and still has a dummy to go to sleep!
She has started to ask for it when just playing or watching TV. So, i've just let her know it's for sleep time only. And after her second birthday it's time for it to go! smile Fingers crossed.
I've heard a few people cut a whole in it so when they suck it it flattens. Has anyone else tried this? I think she would just get cranky at me!
x

I've heard a few people cut a whole in it so when they suck it it flattens. Has anyone else tried this? I think she would just get cranky at me!
x

I have heard this too, but I definitely wouldn't try it. I'm sure it can't be safe for a child to use a damaged dummy. If it became damaged accidentally you'd replace it, right?
Each child is different & if it becomes too distressing for either of you - if you decide to go cold turkey - then i wouldnt do it. She's still only little & IMO, no problem if they need a comforter to help them get to sleep/stay asleep.
My DS was 3 before he gave his up - he gave it to Santa in return for a pressie!! haha. We had a couple of difficult nights, but not too bad.
The dog across the road took my brothers blink & he never asked for it again - he saw the dog take it..

DD has a blankie that she sucks on - & we still cant get rid of it- she's 4 - we took it off her & she doesnt mind, there isnt any crying or anything, but she just doesnt sleep as well, really restless & unsettled, so she wakes tired & cranky still - so i have given it back to her.
I decided it was time for DD to give up her dummy when she was about 2. I kinda weaned her from having it for all sleeps and whenever she was upset/wanted it during the day, down to having it at night for sleeping.

I just put her dummies in the bin one day, when I put her to bed that night she asked where her dummy was and I said that she didn't have one anymore, she whinged for maybe an hour and that was that!!

I was very surprised, I thought she would take it very badly but she was fine, only asked about her dummy every now and then for a little while, but wasn't upset by not having it anymore.

I felt it was interferring with her speech and that was why I didn't want her to have it anymore.

Good luck smile
One of my friends packed up the dummies, and they took them their local hospital to give to the new babies. We gave 3 to a friend (to pretend they were her new baby) but it didn't work our DD is so attached, so its been 6 months since we did that, she's now 3 and 2 months old, and we are trying the whole thing again. My DS gave up the night of his 3rd birthday, his dummy had a bite mark in it resulting in a hole and I told him it was dangerous and he kept it till the morning next to his bed, then in the morning threw it in the bin. Then the other two he had at childcare/inlaws also had holes in them, so he threw them away, he asked for it a couple of times that weekend, but then was fine. DD seems to be alot more attached to it, I think I have to loose some, so there is only 3, 1 at home, 1 at childcare 1 at inlaws, then I'm going to cut a hole in it and pretend its a bite mark and tell her its not safe and she has to throw it in the bin, but it won't work whilst she knows there are 5 more around the house, so I'll gradually put holes in them all, and maybe within a week, she'll be down to 1, and then that one will have a hole in it too, and see how we go! Wish me luck its going to be difficult I can just sense many restless nights coming my way.

Each child is different & if it becomes too distressing for either of you - if you decide to go cold turkey - then i wouldnt do it. She's still only little & IMO, no problem if they need a comforter to help them get to sleep/stay asleep.
My DS was 3 before he gave his up - he gave it to Santa in return for a pressie!! haha. We had a couple of difficult nights, but not too bad.
The dog across the road took my brothers blink & he never asked for it again - he saw the dog take it..

DD has a blankie that she sucks on - & we still cant get rid of it- she's 4 - we took it off her & she doesnt mind, there isnt any crying or anything, but she just doesnt sleep as well, really restless & unsettled, so she wakes tired & cranky still - so i have given it back to her.
thanks for this thread..been wondering how to take ds's dummies away from him..he is nearly 2..and only usually has one to get to sleep..although he knows excatly where they are on our bench..have given me some good ideas thanks xx

I have heard this too, but I definitely wouldn't try it. I'm sure it can't be safe for a child to use a damaged dummy. If it became damaged accidentally you'd replace it, right?

my dd was about 2 and i cut the top off the dummy she understood what broken was she said to me its broken mummy i said time for it to go in the bin and she did and never heard about it again

My daughter is 21 months so I figure it is time she gave up her dummy ... what age did you all make your babies give up? I also want to know what is the best way to do it ... make her go cold turkey or what?

She only has it for sleeping and also around 5:00pm when she is very tired, so it isn't like she's dependent on it the whole time. Her daycare tells me that they don't give it to her anymore for day sleeps and she doesn't mind, although for various reasons I don't believe them, but one day last week I forgot to pack it in her bag and she certainly managed the whole day without it.

My daughter was about to turn 3 and still had a dummy. A few weeks before the big day I started telling her that on your 3rd birthday the dummy fairy comes and takes your dummy and gives it to a new baby. She was sooo excited about this happening. So the night before her birthday we rounded up every dummy we could find, and she put them next to her bed. When she woke up the next day there was $3 in their place, (a dollar for every dummy!) She was so excited, she told everyone who rang her that day all about the dummy fairy. It worked a treat. Only problem is I don't know if your little one might be too young to understand?? Who knows, give it a go wink
Sign in to follow this topic