1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Your Toddler - General Chat
  5. does any have a climbing toddler??

does any have a climbing toddler?? Lock Rss

hey my DS loves climbing

he is doing it every chance he gets and i dont want him to hurt himself
what do you do when your toddler climbs?

how do you stop them without discouraging them from trying new things?
thanks smile
My nearly 18 month old has started jumping off the chair or couch and on to her sofa bed. She thinks its funny but like you say she'll hurt herself. The only thing i do is say no to her.

hey my DS loves climbing

he is doing it every chance he gets and i dont want him to hurt himself
what do you do when your toddler climbs?

how do you stop them without discouraging them from trying new things?
thanks smile

You might think this strange (hopefully not!) but I never completely stop my kids climbing at home. If they are doing it somewhere dangerous, I just redirect them to somewhere better. I think if it is not a forbidden activity then they won't mind you asking them to stop. Both my boys started climbing before they could walk, and got really good at it. Within a few months I knew they were safe. I think it is really good for them, and the fine motor grabbing and using both hands can be helpful for writing and other developments later on. My older boy (now 2) used to play on the park alone (with supervision, usually me crawling after him!) since 1, and I think it has done him so much good. I looked for enclosed parts of parks. I used to take my daughter to a play centre and she got good at it really fast. My third child, I bought him a play gym that is very low, and have set up a little ramp for him leading into the garden bed.

If you are worried about safety, perhaps set him up something safe, such as the couch cushion for him to go on and off of?
Hi It must be the age because my 18 month old is climbing everything she can manage even the things she cant. I just keep a very close eye on her and there are certain things i wont let her climb. But she kind of has to learn what is with in her reach and what is just to much of a risk for her. I find that saying no and explaining to her why she cant helps alot.
My 16 month old is an excellent climber (Can go onto big tramp, our bed etc) I have not stopped her at all, just make sure she is safe. she plays on the playground (with supervision) and I let her on the tramp when I can stay with her as she can't get down. The only thing I have done to in regards to her climbing is to take her cot side away as she started climbing out and hurt her head.
Sign in to follow this topic