for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Your Toddler - General Chat
  5. First plane trip - antihistamine

First plane trip - antihistamine Lock Rss

Hi - I would like to hear any opnions on giving a dose of antihistamine to my 14month old DS when he goes on his first plane trip in 2 weeks.

We have a night flight from Per-Mel, hour and a half in Mel then one hour to Hobart. On the return flight it is a day flight.

He is a very active boy and doesn't sit down for long. If he is unsettled at night rocking in the pram is usually the only thing that works (and I won't have one on the plane!!)

My Gp has given me a script for anithistamine to give him a dose before we leave for the airport. He said it will make him sleepy and easier to manage.

What is everyones opinion on giving him a dose for the trip? Have you done this before? Did it make a difference? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Personally i wouldn't. I will not give my children any medication unless they are sick & it is used for its intended purpose.

I have travelled a fair bit with my youngest & have never really had a problem, just make sure you take things to entertain them - colouring in, portable DVD player - whatever you have & i have always tried to travel during the day as it seems to be less disruptive to their sleep patterns - maybe a little more expensive, but less hassel IMO.

Good luck whatever you decide & enjoy the break away!!

Personally i wouldn't. I will not give my children any medication unless they are sick & it is used for its intended purpose.

I have travelled a fair bit with my youngest & have never really had a problem, just make sure you take things to entertain them - colouring in, portable DVD player - whatever you have & i have always tried to travel during the day as it seems to be less disruptive to their sleep patterns - maybe a little more expensive, but less hassel IMO.

Good luck whatever you decide & enjoy the break away!!

Hi, I wouldn't. It can also have the opposite effect and make him totally hyperactive. I took my 17month and just turned 4 (the day before) daughters to Paris this year and it was totally fine. We didn't even need to walk the aisles as they were both so excited. Everything was new and kept them entertained for hours. My 17 month old is extremely active, always on the go, always climbing and I was dreading it. She was great and our trip was 7 hours to singapore, 6 hour rest stop, then 13 hours to paris. Then the same back again but with an extra 1hour flight from melbourne. We had no trouble with ears, boredom, crying or being loud on any flight.
I agree with the PP. Would not give antihistamine unless medically needed. With my DS antihistamine has the reverse effect - it hypes him up. Hopefully you can wear your DS out so that he will be tired for the night flight & sleep. Take lots of snacks, toys, activities, portable dvd player with headphones for your day flight.

It can also have the opposite effect and make him totally hyperactive.

YES!! i remember giving my DS phenergen when he was younger - he had some viral itchy rash - & it made him hyper for about 2 hours, THEN he crashed for about 4 hours - worst 2 hours of my life - he was literally bouncing off the walls...

After that experience i never gave it to him again & have never purchased another bottle.... eeek
We flew with DS when he was a very active 15mth old. I didn't think he would sleep at all but he slept across my lap. However we did have issues with ear pain, he screamed on landing a fair bit. The airport was the hardest part with him running around lol.

I agree with PP about having the opposite effect. DS had phenergan in the car once as the time before he spewed everywhere and got very agitated. However he didn't sleep at all and was more awake than ever!

If I was you i'd try flying without it first, you might be surprised how well he goes smile

DS - Nov 2008 & DD - Feb 2012

I agree with the pp, it can make them hyper. We just went Perth to Brisbane (5 hour stop over), Brisbane to Townsville with an almost 3 year old and a 5 month old. We gave my little one panadol cause their ears hurt when they cannot pop them. Make sure you have lots of games and snacks and make it exciting. Start reading books with planes in them and get them involved in packing. Good luck smile

I took my DD on her first flight when she was 14 months old. She's a very active toddler and I was dreading the flight. I took heaps of her favourite snacks, books, DVD, music - you name it and it kept her occupied for the flight. She was so well behaved! There were other kids on the plane that were screaming and carrying on and when we got off the flight a number of people commented on how well behaved my DD was.

I wouldn't use any medication to keep my child quiet but that's just me. I only give my child medication when she is unwell. I have also been told by Dr's and my mother who works in a pharmacy that you shouldn't give anything with sedatives to children under the age of 2 as it has been linked to SIDS deaths.
I definitely wouldn't give my DS any type of medication unless it was required to battle illness or remove pain.

I am actually really surprised a doctor would prescribe an antihistamine to sedate a toddler.

My DS isn't interested in television but if yours is could you take a portable DVD player or something of the sort? Pack heaps of small toys and things to keep amused. Also take heaps of healthy snacks for him. I know a rice cake will keep my DS entertained for nearly 20 minutes.

I think there is heaps you can do to keep him entertained for a couple of hours! And really if he does cry or is a bit unsettled it is only a couple of hours.
Thank you to everyone for your opinions.

I was told that if I did give it to him it would hype him up first then make him sleepy. I thought it a little strange that the doctor would so easily recommend it to me.

I think deep down I am expecting the worst and am actually nervous although he may surprise me and be quite well behaved as goldcoastmum said. My husband is hesitant about giving it to him but as neither of us knew much about it or anyone who had really used it we were unsure of the right decision.

Melly_Trish - great suggestion about the plane book and especially involving him in packing!

I think we will see how we go without it.
Sign in to follow this topic