for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Your Toddler - General Chat
  5. DS's first week at school & having trouble

DS's first week at school & having trouble Rss

DS is in his first year of school (we're only up to week 3!) and with him started one of his kinder buddies. Ever since they started school, all l hear from the teacher is how DS and his 'mate' are always talking, mucking around in class, can't sit still, don't listen etc etc. Today it got so bad that they were both found running on the road outside the school gates! DS tells me that his mate started to do this first.

l don't want to sound biased or anything but my DS has NEVER done anything this bad before, especially running on the road. And l have a feeling his mate has had a pretty hard up-bringing with an absent father, whether that makes a difference or not, l'm not sure.

What do l do? l already have a sticker reward chart for when he get's dropped off at school 'happy' and if he listens to his teacher. But this latest antic has certainly blown me away!

DS is in his first year of school (we're only up to week 3!) and with him started one of his kinder buddies. Ever since they started school, all l hear from the teacher is how DS and his 'mate' are always talking, mucking around in class, can't sit still, don't listen etc etc. Today it got so bad that they were both found running on the road outside the school gates! DS tells me that his mate started to do this first.

l don't want to sound biased or anything but my DS has NEVER done anything this bad before, especially running on the road. And l have a feeling his mate has had a pretty hard up-bringing with an absent father, whether that makes a difference or not, l'm not sure.

What do l do? l already have a sticker reward chart for when he get's dropped off at school 'happy' and if he listens to his teacher. But this latest antic has certainly blown me away!

I would think of this in two parts:

1) Whilst at school the teachers have a duty of care and its their responsibility to ensure the safety of students - how on earth did the kids come to be outside the gates running on the road?

In the classroom the teacher needs to separate them as much as possible as they are obviously no good together. So they sit at different tables, when its floor time they sit apart from each other etc. It might become necessary for one or the other to be moved to another class. Even though they are mates it might be better that they are in different classes and they can play at recess and lunchtimes.

2) From your perspective you need to talk to him about what is ok and not ok - he must do what the teacher is asking and not muck around in class and he must definitely not go outside the school gates - no matter what his mate is doing. Sometimes though they cannot help themselves and if his mate is doing something (and you need to accept it might be your son egging his mate on too) then they just get carried away and be silly.

I would be asking the teacher what they are doing to tackle the behaviour, because its happening "on their watch" so to speak so its not like you can deal with it when you are not there.
I'd talk to the school and make them change classes, and if that doesn't work is changing school an option?
Sign in to follow this topic