Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

toddler talking Lock Rss

my DD will be 3 next month and isnt a big talker I keep getting told her dad was like that but its fustrating, we are toilet training and she wont tell me if she needs to go to toilet, any tips or suggfestions on how I can get her to communicate before she starts school next yr

my DD will be 3 next month and isnt a big talker I keep getting told her dad was like that but its fustrating, we are toilet training and she wont tell me if she needs to go to toilet, any tips or suggfestions on how I can get her to communicate before she starts school next yr

These might be two separate issues - with toilet training it is extremely common for them not to tell you when they need to go and if you ask them they say no. On that front just tell her on a regular basis that its toilet time and take her, take her before you leave the house, when you are out, before you come home - which gets them in the habit of going. At this age they are far more concerned with playing and what is interesting to them... its a pain to stop what they are doing to go to the loo (plus they have been able to go in a nappy for so long).

A year is an awfully long time in the life of a toddler - so much changes in that space of time, you will have an altogether different child.

If you are concerned about her speech then see your local child health nurse or GP and if necessary get a referral to a speech pathologist and get her hearing tested as well, perhaps there's an issue there.
I used sign language to get my dd to let me know as she was 18 months old and not talking. I just did the "time" signal where you hold 1 hand vertically and the other over the top making a T shape. Everytime I said the word toilet, put her on it or went myself I did it. Eventually she started doing it too and its very handy when out at a playground when you can't quite hear them but can see them. Swimming as well!
Sign in to follow this topic