Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More

toddler speach Lock Rss

My 2 year old son hardly talks he can only say the basic words like mum, dad, nan and bub that is all he can say. where as other 2 year olds say alot more. was wondering if anyone had any ideas how 2 help me with my son
Is he an only child? Sometimes children with older siblings dont speak a lot as the other ones will talk for them.

If he doesnt have any other siblings, is he delayed in any other areas of development?

Sometimes little ones just dont feel the need to speak yet. It can be completely normal if nothing else is contributing.
Hi, well the best people to check speech development is obviously your GP who could refer you on to a speech pathologist if they think there is a problem.
Having said that though, we found the best things to get our kids talking around 2 was reading alot of books to them, at least 4 a day (they only take a few minutes each). Bed-time one is a favourite as it's a nice quiet time of day and they like snuggling up. Age appropriate books, with simple stories and lots of big colourful pictures. Encourage them to say what things are in books if you point to them. Also we keep up a steady chatter all day long talking about everything we are doing and they are doing. Spotting things from the car windows is a good game too that encourages them to talk (like "there's a truck, can you see the truck?"). Soon they might repeat what you say. Also we always let them try to answer us if we are chatting to them - even if what they say doesn't sound clear and like a proper word yet, in their head they are probably saying it, so act as if you are listening and encouraging.

Hope that helps!
Peta R.
i would not be concerned at the moment my ds was the same at two aslong as he saying a few words.
read him lots of books and talk alot about what your doing or he is doing. Give him small instructions and see if he follows through. Like go get your shows, if he understands you he will do it.
my ds is turns 3 in june and he starting to put sentences togeather. I can understand him. so dont be all to concerned over what other kids can do i felt the same when he was 2.
i think if they were 3 and not really talking i would be concerned.
but just talk to him thats what i had to learn. he our only child so i needed to talk to him alot.

goodluck

My 2 year old son hardly talks he can only say the basic words like mum, dad, nan and bub that is all he can say. where as other 2 year olds say alot more. was wondering if anyone had any ideas how 2 help me with my son

My dd was the same...i was really worried, but then she hit 2 and 3 mths and hasnt shut up since :0)
Labbeling stuff...like saying "cup" "dog" etc will help along with lots of reading and singing. If your super concerned I would visit the gp or a speech pathologist....
The general milestone to look for is 2 word sentences at 2 years of age.

If he's only just 2 I wouldn't worry, just keep talking to him, keep a running dialogue around him like "I'm putting on my shoes now", "let's pick up all the washing" etc so he is hearing how sentences are formed.

As pp suggested I would also read to him a lot.

If he hits around 2.5 and still has only a few words and is not getting a wider repertoire I would see your GP and see if a referral is needed.

smile
My DD is 2yrs 2months and I was worried about her speech development but slowly she is saying more and putting words together lately. She is an only child and have been told it may take a little longer. We just have to keep talking to her etc etc giving running commentaries when we run out of things to actually talk about. She babbles still quite a lot. She is fairly on track in other aspects of her growth.
he is not an only child but the oldest. i have also heard him talkin 2 his little brother in the morning when i pretend 2 be asleep and he talks 2 his brother more than he talks 2 me. he also is a nanas boy.
My DD had a vocabulary of probably 30 words by her second birthday, but was still using single words, whereas the milestone is generally that they should have two-word sentences by then. When I spoke to the Plunket Nurse about it, she said give it two more months and then she'd refer DD for a hearing test if she was still not putting words together. Anyway, within about 3 weeks after that, she was routinely forming sentences, and now at 2.5 she speaks in absolutely perfect, long sentences all the time.

I would say it really is too early for you to be too worried, from what I have heard and from my own experience it sounds like lots of children suddenly develop more advanced speech within the first couple of months after their second birthday. Definitely continue encouraging him to speak. Doesn't hurt to speak with your GP though. A hearing test will always be the first step, before there are any referrals to speech pathologists and so on.
that sounds like an idea cause he hardly reponds 2 me when i call him so a hearing test is a good idea because i had a hearing problem when i was young i had gromits
hello my little girl is 17 months and she doesnt say mum dad but she talks her own baby talk she has done everything on time i have heard other kids her age talk and she has and older brother and a older sister

that sounds like an idea cause he hardly reponds 2 me when i call him so a hearing test is a good idea because i had a hearing problem when i was young i had gromits

Hi
I have a 2 yr old with some speech delay at the moment
I first noticed at 18 months that she had no words besides mommy or daddy and even those 2 words she never really used
I trusted my gut instinct that something was not right so I spoke to the health nurse was given advice what to do to just use single words only when they point to something or when you give them something for food bed time etc
3 months later still no words
So I made another appt and she was assessed and given a referral to be assessed for her speech
I attended the first appt by myself they provide you very good information and tips for improving a child's speech
I started this with her and she has I'd say about 50 words now
Then she is also assessed and we have been given a referral to get a hearing test done as when she was younger would not respond to her name or turn towards a loud noises ( hoping hearing test is all good ) but have to wait and see
And also been provided speech therapy as their is a delay with speech

I would trust your instincts I now kids develop at different stages and ages but If they have no words and you find that some of their behavior is due to your child not being able to verbalize what they want or need
I would call the health nurse or see your gp
Sign in to follow this topic