for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Your Toddler - General Chat
  5. just wondering what everyone else does

just wondering what everyone else does Lock Rss

i am a stay at home mum with a 15 month old girl. Every day i sit with her watching the you tube toddlers videos as there is so many great educational short vids so i try to aim for around 15 mins or so trying everything from nursery rhymes to abc and colors etc. I am kind of feeling like it is a bit of a waste of time as she doesnt really watch and is more interested in playing with anything on the table near her or touching the keyboard.If she does its very short maybe a few seconds only to then go back to playing. I am trying the you tube vids as she is not interested in tv i have tried dvds with no luck at all. I do read to her once a day every day which she can sit and focus on for a few mins. kinda feeling a bit disheartened so many other toddlers at her age i read about on here are seeming so far ahead and doing well just wondering what others do and what your opinions are. thanks
Watch this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoT7qH_uVNo (you not your daughter.) It talks about tv and babies/toddlers in an entertaining and informative way.

I think your daughter sounds like she is being a normal 15 month old. They learn from you, not the tv. smile
It is recommended that children under the age of two don't need screen time at all and over two is around 30 to 60 mins a day. I suggest you try looking through google for play based activities and these don't need to be the traditional painting or playdoh ( which can be boring) try going into the garden and collecting leaves, dig a hole or pull out your pots and pans and utensils and play on the floor. Also Having toys or objects available in baskets on the floor so the child can choose what they would like to to. If they choose cars then make a car track with chalk on the cement outside! A huge favorite at this age is boxes!!! Go to your local furniture store and ask if they have a BIG BOX and allow the child to paint, draw and collage all over it and play play play.........
Good luck
Pattyshaz wrote:
i am a stay at home mum with a 15 month old girl. Every day i sit with her watching the you tube toddlers videos as there is so many great educational short vids so i try to aim for around 15 mins or so trying everything from nursery rhymes to abc and colors etc. I am kind of feeling like it is a bit of a waste of time as she doesnt really watch and is more interested in playing with anything on the table near her or touching the keyboard.If she does its very short maybe a few seconds only to then go back to playing. I am trying the you tube vids as she is not interested in tv i have tried dvds with no luck at all. I do read to her once a day every day which she can sit and focus on for a few mins. kinda feeling a bit disheartened so many other toddlers at her age i read about on here are seeming so far ahead and doing well just wondering what others do and what your opinions are. thanks

Firstly, your child does not NEED youtube or tv.
Secondly, your child will learn more and be more interested in learning by doing activities WITH you rather than simply staring at a screen.

Read more than once a day, sit bub on your lap so you're reading together and try pop up and touch books that are engaging but most of all SHOW YOUR INTEREST. Dont be afraid to do stupid voices and gasp when appropriate, make animal noises.

Involve bub in your everyday chores and talk to them and explain things.
Draw and colour with bub
Give independence by asking if they can wash their own hands with a wet flannel or wipe after meals.

All these things will help with learning and build a strong bond between you. When u go for a walk point to things and say what they are "look a bird! Its red!"
Count the cars, sing songs.

Sing in the bath and around the house.

The days will fly by.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I'd much rather do activities to teach those things- reading books for nursery rhymes, looking at things in nature or when out for a walk for colours, singing songs for abc or writing letters and numbers with chalk on the driveway or a blackboard.

That said, she's only 15 months! Everything she's learning will be pretty much incidental- I wouldn't be sitting down and expecting her to learn stuff in blocks of 15 mins. Incorporate learning experiences into your every day life and she'll be fine smile
You can let her play on her own at times too.
When my DD was that age she loved playing on her own.

Also I bought some flash cards from the $2 shop. There were ABC ones and first words ones, she loved them too!!

ME - 23
DH - 25

Miss Willow

Keeping fit and healthy in pregnancy!!

She is still young, my DD is the same age and i let her tell me what she would like to do next! Half the fun is exploring things and finding new things to play with! Her fav thing at the moment is playing in the garden, just wish we could do it more as its getting colder, but we got out some silver mixing bowls and wooden spoons and played music in the kitchen with them and today when i was baking i let her sit with me and play with the dough, she was so interested in it cause she had never felt that before and i just tell her what i am doing around the house! When i sweep the floors she has her own little broom and she sweeps too and when i dust she likes to pass me the wipes to do it! She loves the TV but the only DVD's we watch are ones were we have to do things together, clapping our hands to the songs or pretending to fly around like a bird things like that!! Hope this helps, i know it can be hard sometimes to keep them interested in one thing but just go at their pace and you will find that they learn what they want that way and its never uninteresting for them!! grin

I take my 16 month old son to the local library for Tiny Tots Rhythm and Rhyme. It is a free 1/2 hour session once a week. They sings songs, play music, dance, read nursary rhymes and play musical instruments. It's a great way to teach your child while having fun and meeting new friends as well. So maybe go to your local library to see if they offer anything similar?
thanks heaps for your suggestions the you tube vid was great very informative
You might like to also check out this SA govt website for age appropriate ideas for childrens play and development. It's a great parenting resource.
http://raisingchildren.net.au/play__learning/to...

Don't worry if other children the same age can do more. It's a bit like baking a cake, if you put the right ingredients in now, then when they are ready, kids will put it all together and show you what they can do. Kids learn by doing otherwise, there would be no need for teachers to help them 'do' things. Kids also need to be shown HOW to play with things. They need you to sit there and play it with them. Play with the blocks so she'll see how to do it, and then she'll want to do it herself.

My youngest is 16 months and this is some of the things we do: playgroup, swimming lessons, shopping for groceries, walking in the pram, go to the park, library to read books and go to rhyme time, drawing on an etch a sketch and in a scrap book with thick easy to hold crayons, reading touch and feel books, sing songs and nursery rhymes, kick a small ball in the yard, collect things in the garden, play in sand and the bath, blow bubbles, build with blocks, put things in and out of boxes, (like pegs), stack things, push things like cars.

If in doubt, go speak with the local child health nurse, they'll have heaps of ideas and may even be able to point you to activities in your area, like the library rhyme time classes.
Have fun playing with all those things smile
All the suggestions on here are really helpful and give me something to think about for the future, i actually do alot of this with my 6 month old, pointing to colours,body parts, describing everything im doing etc.. i know he wont understand anything/everything im saying but i still do it... smile
3 pease in a pod.. wrote:
All the suggestions on here are really helpful and give me something to think about for the future, i actually do alot of this with my 6 month old, pointing to colours,body parts, describing everything im doing etc.. i know he wont understand anything/everything im saying but i still do it... smile

what makes you think he doesn't understand. wink
Sign in to follow this topic