Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More

Hair Washing Woes Lock Rss

My just 2 year old daughter is terrified of having her hair washed and having a bath. Not too worried about her not having a bath as my son went through the same phase and it's easy enough to sponge her down until the phase passes, but the hair washing is another story. I hold her over the sink while my husband quickly attempts to wash at least some of her hair. She screams hysterically the whole time and takes quite a while to calm down afterwards. I feel like I'm torturing my child!! Not fun at all!! I've spoken to my Plunket nurse but she didn't have any advice that we hadn't already tried.

Does anyone have any idea that might help? I dread every hair wash.
Unless it's really filthy then I wouldn't bother washing it, my kids only have their hair washed once a week. You could also get some dry shampoo to put through it instead of washing it.
Will she go in the shower with you? My dd has just week decided that she hates having her washed and she's only 17 months old :/ so I've been taking her in the shower with me and while she plays on the floor of the shower I gently pat some shampoo through her hair and it just washes out under the shower. Otherwise I pick her up for the wash out and she's ok because I'm holding her. Distraction works too like singing or playing some kind of game whilst its happening.
Otherwise you could try some dry shampoo spray until she comes around??
Good luck smile
Thanks for advice. Unfortunately she won't go in the shower either. I've tried going in the bath with her too, but she won't have a bar of it. The dry shampoo sounds like the best option until she's over this phase. I hadn't heard dry shampoo, any ideas where I can buy it?
Therumbles wrote:
Thanks for advice. Unfortunately she won't go in the shower either. I've tried going in the bath with her too, but she won't have a bar of it. The dry shampoo sounds like the best option until she's over this phase. I hadn't heard dry shampoo, any ideas where I can buy it?

Priceline definitely sell it but I reckon you could probably get it at the supermarket nowadays smile
You'll still have to wash out dry shampoo, basically its like a powder that absorbs oil. Baby powder or talc will do the same thing. People usually use it as a way to get an extra day out of your hair before washing it properly.
To be honest I really don't think a 2 year old would have hair that oily that they need a dry shampoo. My nearly 5 year old very rarely has his hair washed, and it always looks clean- never gets oily.
Can you just try and rinse her hair with water in the bath? Will she let you do that at least?

Have you thought about going swimming regularly to help her get used to water?

Or asking her to putt a face cloth over her eyes so they don't get wet.
Mine have been through this too. Have you tried using goggles? Also, there are jugs you can get which have a rubber section that moulds to the forehead so that when they put their head back, the water doesnt go down the front or in their eyes. Have you let her choose the shampoo? My kids like to choose one each. Ds likes the fruit blast organics brand (dinosaur pic) and dd1 likes the strawberry one (fairy pic). Maybe if you got her to help? Good luck!
I personally wouldn't use dry shampoo. It leaves a residue that does build up needs to be washed out anyway, I use the VO5 brand one, and find my hair needs an extra scrub to get it out the next day so it might be even worse.

My DD1 went through the same thing. I went slightly mean mummy with her. I feel like there are certain things that are non-negotiable in life. Hair washing, teeth cleaning, etc being part of that. I just kind of used ride the screams out and after a while she realised that protesting about it was futile.

But to help her along, I always got 'no tears' shampoo and used a hair washing visor things, or for a laugh she would sometimes wear goggles. Less than a year later and she washes her own hair without a drama.

Sign in to follow this topic