Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Worried Non Talker Lock Rss

My daughter has just turned 2 and she is not yet talking. She would rather grunt and point to what she wants. She says the basics like "mum, dad" but that is it. Is it because we got use to answering for her that she perhaps is being lazy??? We sometimes try to ignore her if shes wants something until she speaks, but she is one very determined missy. We sit with her and try to teach her to say words, but no, she just smiles and grunts because she finds it funny. Any suggestions????
JEWEL,
UNFORTUNATELY I DONT HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS BUT IM ALSO A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT MY 20 MONTH OLD. HE DOESNT SAY MUCH EITHER.HE DOES POINT A LOT, HE SAYS MA DAD, ALLO,.MAYBE I WORRY TO MUCH. THEY WILL EVENTUALLY LEARN. BYE LUCASMUM.

angela,vic,3years old toddler

Don't be too concerned. My nephew was the same way. He will be 2 next month and still doens't really vocalise. He points to things he wants, but after a bit of intensive training and loads of encouragement he is picking up lots more. Keep doing what you're doing. She will get there. Every child is different. My neices were quicker at some things, but then slower at others... It could well be that she is being a little lazy. I have heard my mother in law say this about my nephew. She felt that he was being babied too much - he is the youngest of 3, and that he needed more encouragement and not people falling at his feet handing him things all the time.

Amber, VIC, 13 MthOld

Hi everyone, I thought I would tell you my story and maybe it will help. My son is now 2yrs 7 months. At our 18month checkup our clinic sister suggested we take him to our GP and get him checked out and also perhaps a Speech Therapist as he was pretty much saying Daddy (no mummy ) & that was it, whilst we felt sure he was just a slow starter if you get them checked out you can put you mind at ease about any medical reasons for the delay. We went to the GP who refered us to a Pediatrician who we saw at 20months. The pediatrician checked him out and said that he didn't feel there was any medical reason for the delay he was just a busy boy who was too busy doing other stuff to worry about sitting still and learning to talk. He suggested that we have his hearing checked, although he felt that his hearing was ok he suggested that if we have it tested then you could rule that out too. So no surprises when we had the hearing test all was fine. He also suggested we considered a speech therapist but recomended we wait until two as they can get more out of it then. We were moving town so we didn't get a speech therapist until about two months ago (I wish it had been sooner). His speech was picking up but slowly 3 or 4 months ago he only had about 20 words all up and now in a combination of I believe that he was trying very hard himself and a good speech therapist he has well over a hundred words (it has just exploded) and is putting more and more together. I really do recomend a speech therapist if you can find one that it good with kids. Our first one was terrible and we ditched them after two sessions and found a new one who is fantastic, some people just are not good with kids. The ST has given us tons of things that we can do to encourage speech and it is great to feel like we are helping him. Good luck to you I am sorry this is so long I hope it helps.
Sign in to follow this topic