Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

30 month olds Lock Rss

Just wondering what other peoples kids are able to do.

I got this from another group and it says that by 30 months:

"By now your child could be able to put on an article of clothing and can probably name about six body parts. She might also be able to balance on one foot for a couple of seconds or identify one colour. You can help build your toddler's verbal skills by expanding on what she says. For instance, if she says "Car go," you might say "Yes, that red car is going down the street very quickly." You can model for her the bigger vocabulary and more complicated sentence structure that she will soon grow into using."

My eldest can name ALL body parts, and ALL colours ( primary and secondary...not the likes of mauve, aqua or fushia!!). He also has a MUCH larger vocab than a simple "Car go"! He uses sentences that absolutely astound us at times. In fact, we play a 'What's out my window?" game in the car and his sentences are more often than not something along the lines of "Look Mummy, a silver car out my window" or "Horses out Marshalls window, and sheep too".

Wondering how all your kids are doing because from the 2.5 year olds i know the example of development above is extremely under-rated.

Dette, DS 06.03, DS 10.04, DD 03.06 & Due Sept 07!

Hi Dette how you goin? My son is younger than your olest by about 4 months, but he too, can do a lot of the things you mentioned in your post! He tries to put his shoes on himself, and he can take clothes off himself. He can name and point to all his main body parts and all parts of his face. He knows all the main colours by sight and name, ie red, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, brown, white and black. He too uses a much more extensive vocab than simply 'car go'! Henever we go in the car he asks 'mummy are we going to go on the freeway' ... he loves going on the freeway and seeing all the big trucks. He also tells me what is out the window ... ie 'mummy look a yellow taxi car; did you see it mummy'! He has been talking in sentences for a while now, and seems to be more advanced than all his little friends, however I would agree with you that te example you posted is rather under-rated for a 30 month old!!

eìí? well ... it started with a kiss eìí?-3-064

Hi Dette

My son is 2.5 yrs old as well. I agree, that example seems really under-rated, maybe it's the bare minimum they should be able to do by then.

My son talks in sentences too, some of the things he comes out with absolutely amaze me - he obviously absorbs EVERYTHING he hears. The latest thing that cracks me up is when he's painting or drawing he looks at his handiwork and says "Da-da. Perfick!", I don't know where he got that one from. He knows the whole alphabet and recognises some letters. He can count to 20. He recognises and can name heaps of shapes and colours - not just the basics, he's known these since he was 18 months old. He can name all his body parts too. He recognises a lot of songs just from hearing the first few notes and will start singing at the appropriate time.

To me my son seems a bit more advanced - especially when it comes to talking - than other kids we know of the same age. But then again I'm not around the other kids all the time, so for all I know they may talk just as well. I don't want to sound like one of those parents who thinks their child is superior to every other child on the planet - but when I observe him with other kids I am quite proud of him smile .

Jasmine
Sign in to follow this topic