Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

weaning off the dummy Rss

Hi every one, just after some advice on weaning my 17mth old boy off his dummy. I have a 7 week old who has a dummy as well, so if he doesn't have his he will steal his little sister's. He usually only has it to go to bed, but if he sees one during the day he will want it and have a tantrum if he can't have it. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Donna xx

zanesmum

Hi Donna,
thanx for starting this topic as i am also after ways of weaning my 15 month old off hers,
Please help us guys!!! Any ideas would help heaps!

Sarah,VIC 18mth daughter

Hi Donna & Sarah,

I have a 3 yr old girl & when the time came to slowly start getting her dummy off her, I was stumped as to what I would do because she just loved it day & night!!! To start I actually cut the teat off the dummy back half way. Then a week later I cut it back further until eventually there was nothing to suck!!! I let her have it when she wanted but eventually got sick of it cos there was nothing to suck. Although this worked for the day, she still needed one to sleep with. She had a "special bed time" dummy. This was not to leave her room(only to go to day care though.) After her sleeps she had to put it on the shelf next to her bed. One day it was left at day care(by accident), so we had to bite the bullet that night so we bribed her!!!! We told her if she could go the whole night without her dummy we would take her to the shops & buy her a really special present. We left the light on for her to read her books & have a play & within half an hour she was asleep, no fuss at all. The next night she still needed the light on, but there has never been any fuss about needing a dummy since then. She was 2 when all this happend & i had a little boy when she was 2 1/2, & he has a dummy but that has never bothered her. Sorry I have rattled on a bit, but it's hard to give advice unless you tell exactly how it is!!! Good luck & if this doesn't work, maybe you'll have to go cold turkey!!!

Cheers.

Michelle - Mum to 2

Hi Donna,

Great story Michelle, i hope mine will end that graciously.

Basically, my daughter still has a dummy to sleep, NEVER, out of bed, and she is 2 and 9 months old. Hers are so worn and old i am sure she will hand them over herself. I have one emergency one in the cupboard, but she can stick with the ratty ones as far as i am concerned.

I new before my son was born, i would keep everything as different as possible, so his dummies were a total different brand. She only tells him that dummies are for sleep, and has never been interested in his.

Best of luck,

I guess this doesn't help your actual question really, :~

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Thanks to all who took the time to reply your advice was great, I managed to get Zane to settle for yesterday's and today's day time nap with no dummy, so hopefully we are on the way. He had a tantrum for a little while but eventually lay down and went to sleep.
I think I will either try the cutting of the tops and if that doesn't work, I think I will have to persist and go cold turkey. I would like to have him off the dummy by the time he is 18mths.
Thanks again for your thoughts.

Donna..

zanesmum

Hi Guys!
I only let Neena have hers for sleep or when she's tired and we're not home or i want to stretch her out a bit, i just find it annoying cause she askes for it sometimes and when i say no, we get a big tantrum, i think i will try and go cold turkey too!

Sarah,VIC 18mth daughter

Hi

My son was 2 years old when I decided to take his dummy away. We had managed earlier on to take it away during the day, so it was only during the night that he had it, and really he didn't need it cause it was just a comfort thing, as soon as he was asleep he would spit it and not wont it again. Husband and I decided that it was time and so Wednesday morning when Haydn awoke we told him to put his dummy in the big green bin and he went and did it, he then helped dad take it out for the garbage truck to empty it, and he watched the garbage truck take his dummy, and since then, we haven't had any problems. The first night without his dummy he was fine, no problems at all.

Heather
I have just weaned my daughter off about 2 months ago and we did it cold turkey. she was 22 months old. she was a t the stage were i thought she doesnt need it anymore and i would just use it as the easy way out if she was winging or sooky so i bit the bullet and through them in the bin told Nikita they were broken and never mentioned them again. I even took away any toy dummies she had for her dolls so it didnt remind her of them. we had 2 hard nights of about 45 mins crying but as been great since. Hope all goes well

Mel,QLD, 3yr old Nikita, no. 2 due october

hi
i have a 18mth old and she only takes a dummy to go to bed with. after bed time she gives it to with no probs. if she sees her sisters dummy occasionly she'll put it in her mouth but if i look at her she quickly takes it out.

i asked my clinic nurse about weaning her off it. she told me to just wait until she can understand so i can tell her that the doggy took it or i let her give it to a new baby in the family or her sister that way the nurse said i will have less probs.

Salwa, 2 girls, sydney

Hi Neenas Mum,

I weaned James off the dummy about a month ago now. I decided cold turkey was best. I told my hubby it was like getting an alcoholic off alcohol, if they have one drink they're still hooked, anyway he saw the funny side! I did the cutting the top off during one of his daytime naps (didn't think to do it gradually so cut the whole rubber bit off). It was funny looking around the corner & seeing him try to put it in.
He sometimes had it during the day, but relied heavily on it to get to sleep.
Well he thrashed around and cried quite a bit, for about an hour and a half the first time, and it was down to 45 minutes by his night time sleep (with not as much thrashing around). I gave him a cloth nappy and some soft toys in his cot as a comfort instead. I think I started with the cloth nappy some time before weaning, hoping that he would take to it instead, and now he likes it kind of as a comfort or pillow.
I think he was pretty right in a few days, but he does still wake at night and I'm working on that.
You may need to figure out a new settling method for night waking if your little angel isn't sleeping through. I mainly weaned him to help with the night waking problem.
Although now I find when we're out and about such as a supermarket or shopping mall I tend to give him a bikkie or some sort of snack to keep him happy whereas before it probably would have been the dummy.

Good luck on whatever way you decide, and if it's cold turkey just hang in there, it does get better!

Kristina

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

Hi Michelle,

We have a two year old who loves his dummy day& night also and I am concerned about getting him to give it up. Your advice is great and logical and I am going to give it a try. I will let you know how things go. Thanks,
Gayle.
Sign in to follow this topic