Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

16 month old still not walking! Lock Rss

I agree with Curly, my son walked at 12 months and gets into and runs into everything.

All babies are unique and they will walk when they are ready.

Hi Lisa,
as everyone says don't worry it will happen eventually, our first took her first step 10 days off 15 months and she had been walking around the furniture since 9 months, our son is 9 days off 15 months and is only now picking himself up off the floor into standing position and walking around by himself when he wants to, so very similar but then again he has big sister to copy, our first didn't stand on her own till her friend did it first. Good luck!
Belinda

BelindaQld, 4 children (1 in heaven)

Do not panic. My daughter will be 16 months in 2 days time and she also is not walking. She will hold my hand or my husband's hand and walk around happily however will not walk without assistance at all. So far my sister has told me with her almost 2 year don't panic. You don't want them walking because then it only gets harder as they don't want to go in their pram and other dilemas like that. I know how frustrating it is doing trips to the car with all their luggage for the day out and then you have to carry them to the car too!!!!

It won't happen over night but it will happen.

Michelle
I have a question? Are all the babies mentioned above a bit bigger than the normal size?
My little munchkin is quite a big one as he is quite tall and not chubby but very adequite size. His head size is large though. He is almost 14 months, stands holding onto furniture, though not walking around it.
Is the size of a baby indicative of when it starts to walk? Is this a pattern for late walkers.

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

My dd who was 15mths yesterday, does not even show any signs of walking yet!! She didnt crawl until she was just over 12mths, we as my other dd was 10mths when she walked!!! Sometimes i wish she would hurry up as shes getting HEAVY!! But what do you do, they will get up when there ready!!!

tayla 16/08/03

Hi,
My son will be 18 months on the 15th and he has just started walking on his own. He had been walking around the furniture and holding onto my hand and walking for a few months but when i would let go of his hand he would just drop to the ground and crawl.

He is still getting the hang of walking and still crawls. It is so exciting to see my little baby boy developing into a little boy.

I try not to stress too much about when he is supposed to be doing things because i know he will do it when he is ready.

Larnie

Mummy to Joshie 15/07/03 & Hannah Lily 26/02/06

My almost 17 month old isnt walking yet either. He walks around furniture though. Me and my husband were late walkers. Its so funny as he is quite big and looks like he can run but he cant even walk. He is still almost a baby but looks like a little boy. He will walk when he is read.

Just a little suggestion, my daughter is 13 months and has been walking for about three weeks thanks to my mum who purchased her a fisher price stride to ride walker. They are fantastic. Very stable and not easy to tip. My daughter still pushes hers around even though she can walk by herself as they are very colourful and have flashing lights and music on them.
Hi Shaan. Is the Stride to Ride walker very tall as my boy is quite tall. How high would it be if you dont mind measuring? I would appreciate it!

Hi jz,

I just measured my sons stride to ride walker it is about 50cms high. My son is also very tall he is 88 cms tall and he has to bend over to push it along. I think it really helped him learn to walk he has just started walking alone in the last couple of weeks and he still pushes it around. I also have another fisher price walker but i find that it is too low for him and not as strong.

Hope this helps
Larnie

Mummy to Joshie 15/07/03 & Hannah Lily 26/02/06

I would reinforce how good the stride to ride walker is. My twins who are 17 months old have only just started to walk. "Santa" bought them each a stride to ride walker for Christmas and the elder one not only walks with it but hops on it as a bike. The younger twin pushes is along to help him walk. If I knew something like that would assist them then I would not have waited until Christmas.

Victoria ~ 3yr old beautiful twin boys

Thanks so much for the tip! I am going to look at getting one next week!

Sign in to follow this topic