Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Your Toddler's Growth and Development
  5. my 12 month old is just 7.6 kilos im really worried

my 12 month old is just 7.6 kilos im really worried Lock Rss

hi guys

she doesnt really like bananas but i will try spreading it on bread. she sometimes eats cheese some days she doesnt. is it ok to give her some ice cream?
i sometimes feed her heinz bottle fruits she eat like abit and turns away.

i just get upset when she doesnt eat coz i feel useless that everything i make she doesnt like or she doesnt want to eat i know i shouldnt blame myself but seeing peoples babies that are like 5 months or 4 months younger than her and bigger than her by alot makes me feel im doing something so wrong.
Hi Ekin 828 my daughter was like yours not even on the right part of the graph and about the same weight. Likes yours we had problem getting her to eat solids and build her up to get weight up. You are not a bad mum you are doing your best in a difficult situation. I gave my daughter ice cream as they are allowed to have cows milk after 12mths. Its so frustrating and hair pulling. Its alright for the paeds to say feed her more but it sounds as if you are trying everything you can to build her up. Can you go to your GP and tell him your concerns maybe he can do some test to see if there is something else going on with her. Other than that I cant offer much more as what may work for some may not work for you. It sounds as if your are really worried so I would say definately go see your GP and get some help. Its taken us a lot of hard work to get my little girl on the proper part of the graph and she is now 17mths I found my GP and his practice Nurse more help than our Paediatrician as he was a moron and really got my back up. You are doing the right things
may i ask wat did she satrt eating or liking?

today i fed her some risoni with cream ham n avocardo she vomitted it all out along with her lunch and all over her fav piano table now its not making any sounds

it is still really really hard.
I might be an idea to take her along to your GP or CHN and explain whats happening. Tell them you are trying all the different foods, and she isn't eating, and wont eat lumps.
They might be able to do some tests, or offer you other ideas.

Ask them to help you with what kind of foods to offer (ie get them to list), and explain she just spits out a lot of foods you give.

TRy not to be too hard on yourself. The fact that you are asking for help and idea's means you are a very good mum, because you are helping your DD!

I agree with mel, you are doing everything, asking questions trying new foods, a bad mum wouldn't do that!!

My DD is small for her age, 22months weighs 10kg and fit 0 clothes (some 00)
she loves cream cheese, on little sandwhiches, sometimes I cut them up into bit size pieces.
pasta, spaghetti, carrots, yoghurt, are some foods that have either carbs or healthy fat in them.
I never add salt to my foods anyways, but I used to make my own jars of food. with my DS I mashed til he was 17mths, I didn't care cause he ate it lol, so if they eat it it doesn't matter how it goes in.

I used to put a variety of vegies in, potato, sweet potato, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots etc. Make a batch of rice/pasta, even sometimes added mince or chicken.
then puree it all and seperate into jars.
Sometimes if DS didn't want to eat his I would put some on the spoon then put some yoghurt on the front of the spoon (loves yoghurt).

Ask you health nurse for some children's cook books.
my kids love breads too, damper, lebonese etc.

good luck, and never give up xxx

1 monkey, 1 diva = the love of my life

Hi

i will when i go to my gp next month also the pead already took blood test so will hopefully will get results next week will keep u posted too.
thats true naomi i will puree it as long as she is eating. she likes bread too esp when we are out shopping she holds it in the pram and eats it herself. but if she is in the mood hee hee. and her sleep patterns are so bad she sleeps after midnite n wakes at 10 dunno y though i tried to put her to bed early and she wont maybe thats y she underweight too.
Ok darl please stop talking yourself down. You are an amazing mum...how do I know? Because you are asking advice wanting help. You not just going off pig headed ignoring advice.

Ok your DD (darling daughter) is drinking milk..how many bottles a day and is it formula or cows milk? If its formula you dont have to freak about her not eating as much simply because she is gaining nutrients from the formula. If its cows milk I personally would consider going back to formula for the time being or would add some Pentavite liquid vitamins to the cows milk.

Now the following advice is mearly what I have done with my kids.
They say it is best to offer food first then milk and I did find this effective that way bubs tummy doesnt fill with milk leaving no room for food. Also once bubs is full thier interest wains.
I always tried to have bubs at the table with us when we ate even if just playing in the highchair. Because as they watch they learn they watch the way your hand goes from plate to mouth, they watch the way you move your mouth, facial expressions...everything. And I have always been one to allow my babies to try anything from my plate if they were interested. No matter what I was eating. From an early age they were tasting a little curry, chilli, garlic the works. I have been critisized for this but children in India eat curry, children in Thailand eat chilli ect. My youngest son now 5 has always wanted lots of flavour in his food...he refused to eat plain bland food. Maybe try your bubs with something with more flavour I have often added some takeaway chinese...beef in black bean chopped up fine into some mashed potato my kids LOVED it. Also mashed potato is easier to digest compared to rice so maybe try substituting potato instead of rice.
Be adventurous with food for your bubs as long as foods are cut to an appropriate size for your child or mashed to the right consistency then it is fine. Ice cream is ok in small lots...sugar free is better than regular but she may not like it due to it being so cold.
The salt thing with the Pead say NO SALT...adding a small amount of salt while your cooking is ok...just not too much and adding it while your cooking is much better than adding it after its cooked.

What area are you in? If your close by someone might be able to sit down with you and talk about this more

Keep at it your doing a great job.

Hugs NEss

Does she sleep much during the day? It might be she is either over tired or not tired enough (lol its a bit confusing sometimes!)

Do you have a bedtime routine? I found with DS, a bedtime routine was really important to getting him to bed at a reasonable hour. (He goes to bed at 730.)
At around 630ish (after his dinner), I give DS a bath. This is nice and relaxing, and starts to calm him down for bedtime. Then we get him dressed in his jarmies, and he has some quiet play with his daddy. (I always try and keep it nice and calm, like reading books-so he doesn't get too over excited before bed.) Then at about 715, we say give Daddy a kiss and cuddle goodnight. Then we brush his teeth, and he has a story. After his story, I give him cuddles and sing a bedtime song (just make up silly words lol), then he goes into his cot with a kiss and good night.

Maybe you could try this (or something like it) with your DD? Children like a bit of routine (it doesn't have to be strict), but something like that before bed (and its pretty much the same every night) will get them used to the fact 'oh ok, its bedtime now, time to sleep."
It might take a while for your DD to get used to it, but if you stay consistent, she will get the hang of it.

Do you have any support around you? Like your DH/DP, (darling husband or darling partner), does he help at all? Do youhave any family near by?

Hi

she drinks formula mayb say 4-5 bottles a day around 120 mls or less. her routine is when she wakes up (sometime 8 or 9 or 10 depend) she feed on formula if she wakes at 8 she sleeps again right after wakes at around 10ish then i make her breakfast after breakfast she plays awhile then its bath time then its around 2pm i give her a bottle she nap for 1-2 hrs then she wakes ready for lunch she then goes n play watches tele or i play with her and sometimes a bottle around 7 i give her dinner and she seems tired around dinner time then a bottle before she sleeps she naps for an hour and wakes at 9 and doesnt go to bed till 11is or after 12 and she has another bottle

my mum lives 25-35 mins away from me but shes working all the time and my DH works nite shifts he goes to work at 2pm comes home after midnite.

Hi

she drinks formula mayb say 4-5 bottles a day around 120 mls or less. her routine is when she wakes up (sometime 8 or 9 or 10 depend) she feed on formula if she wakes at 8 she sleeps again right after wakes at around 10ish then i make her breakfast after breakfast she plays awhile then its bath time then its around 2pm i give her a bottle she nap for 1-2 hrs then she wakes ready for lunch she then goes n play watches tele or i play with her and sometimes a bottle around 7 i give her dinner and she seems tired around dinner time then a bottle before she sleeps she naps for an hour and wakes at 9 and doesnt go to bed till 11is or after 12 and she has another bottle

my mum lives 25-35 mins away from me but shes working all the time and my DH works nite shifts he goes to work at 2pm comes home after midnite.

It seems she has a bit of a routine, but is quite late in the day? You say she naps at about 2pm for 2 hours or so, then has lunch, that would mean lunch is at 4pm? Maybe try and move things back a little, so she is having lunch at 12ish. She could have her nap after lunch then.

Maybe she could have dinner a little earlier, say 530-6ish because she is having an earlier lunch? If she is tired around dinner time (which is 7 or so at the moment?), perhaps she might not be eating then because she is tired? Sometimes they wont eat if they are tired, even if they are hungry.
If she has dinner earlier-that way at around 7 or so when you say she is usually having dinner, but seems tired, she could go down to bed for the night.

It seems she has her naps and bedtimes a little mixed up. When she wakes at 9pm do you get her up, or try to settle her back to sleep?
She might just need to get used to the fact that between 7 and 9 is not a nap, but time to sleep for the night. When she wakes at 9pm, try to settle her back to sleep. Keep the light low, pat her and sshhh and say time for sleep. It will take w hile, because she is used to waking and being up for a few hours at this time, but once she realises mummy isn't getting her up, she will start to go to sleep.
Once she starts to go to sleep earlier (and stay asleep for the night), she will wake earlier in the morning-which means you can give her breakfast at say 8 (or whatever time she wakes), then if she needs it another little nap, then perhaps morning tea at 10 instead of breakfast at 10.
She might want another nap in the afternoon, and then hopefully she will be ready for bed by 7ish again.

I think it might be a matter of just adjusting her day routine a little, and pushing things back a bit for you to get her to go to bed before 12. Just remember to stay consistent, and it will be really hard at first, because it will take time to adjust for her.

It must be hard to have your partner to work shift work (especially over the dinner bedtime hour-the busiest part of the day!), but hopefully he can help out when he can.

You are doing a really good job, don't be afraid to ask for help-even if you want to ring your health nurse for some advice. Most of the time they are pretty good. The ladies on this site can be helpful too.

Good luck, keep us updated on how you are going. x
Hi, I have been reading everyones posts and agree with what has been said. Mainly good parents ask for help.

I've just read your post about her routiene, and have some suggestions.

Her milk intake doesn't sound to bad, and I think she might need the formula if you are worried about nutrients. I did notice that you didn't mention snacks. Her milk seems to be when other kids might have a snack. Maybe as she doesn't eat a lot at one meal you might find healthy snacks help get more good calories into her. You could try this-

7.30am up and breaky. If she likes ceral oyu could use formula there. A play.
If she is tired offer a healthy snack and then a nap.
12noon Lunch with mum and dad. If this is when you are all home this is when you can eat together.

A play, snack nap. Maybe a bottle/ cup of milk.

Wake up not to late. Dinner maybe between 5 and 6.
Dessert only if still hungry but make it healthish.

Bath, milk, teeth. One on one girl time with mummy to relax for bed.

It might seem strange giving her snacks when she won't eat a full meal, but she only has a small tummy. Even if all five meals are the same size and she only eats a little bit at each one it is yet another chance for her to taste the different food groups.
Snacks that are good- sandwiges, an egg (takes a couple of minutes to cook), fruit, leftover veges eg- potato pieces, cooked carrots, small tub of yoghurt or custard, piece of cold meat. just try to avoid things like packes of chips and lollies,as they don't offer much but salt and sugar.

Also if you get get Robin Barkers book I liked that one too.
Also the healthier you and your dh eat the better as it will help your dd see what good food is all about.

I am going through an i don't want what you have cooked for me phase with dd, but thankfully her weight is okay at the moment. If only she would eat meat for us. arrgh. Kids.

Good luck, c-ya
Sign in to follow this topic