Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

bored 13 mth old? Rss

My little man is now 13 mths and is driving us crazy! He desperatly wants to be outside all day, however we have no fence at the moment so I am worried he might take off (he is so quick!). Also we have killer green ants...
So to vent this frustration, he is naughty all day. I am sure it is due to boredom. He has heaps of stimulating toys and plenty to do.
Any suggestions of how I can help him before he rips the house apart!
Also What outside stuff is good for this age as he can't quite walk yet? and he eats everything!!

Em Tmba - mum to Liam 31/7/03 & Callum 7/5/05

Hi Emily, I drove around till I found a park with a baby swing (a swing which has a seat belt and the seat itself wraps around the child, so they don't have to balance). My sixteen month old still loves it. She gets excited when the car pulls up at the park and before I even switch the motor off! I started taking her when she was about 11 - 12 months (she could not walk then) and I try and take her once a week (after swimming lessons). You may find that the green ants at the park aren't killer ones there.
An indoor activity which I have set up occasionally for my girl for a few months now, I got the idea from a toddler activity book, is, to get your toddler to fill a cloth bag (I used a calico bag which had oats in it) with torn up pieces of newspaper or magazine (she had great fun doing this, and put it all in the bag herself). Tie the bag up tight and hang with string from the ceiling or in a doorway, low enough for him to reach but so it still swings. Give them a plastic spatula (or something which has a wide end on it) and show them how to bash away at the stuffed bag. I attached mine with a heap of blu tak up above the top of a door jam and that worked well till her dad got carried away with bashing it one time and it fell off, but it handles it ok from a toddler. sorry I can't help much, but hope this helps you a little bit.

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

Thanks for the great ideas, we have 2 parks really close to our house so we often go to them.
The bag suspended is also great I've used a ballon on a string (left overs from a party we had) he loved it!
What was the toddler book?
Thanks

Em Tmba - mum to Liam 31/7/03 & Callum 7/5/05

Hi Em,

I remember going through this with my oldest! What about taking him to scallywags once a week as they have a play group there and I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost much! Alsoyou could join him up at the swimming school over your way...DLSA! Swimming is a great way to wear a child out as well as it being fun and helps build up their muscles....and he doesn't need to walk!!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

I have the same problem. I just get on with my chores and let him follow me but making sure there are no hazards. It is really hard. I think they like to fiddle with things at this age as they are just so curious.

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

The park idea is great.

My suggestion doesnt always go down well, but have you considered childcare??

I started my boys at 12 months, simply for social interstion and sitmulation, jsut one day a week, and they have thrived on it, My eldest will attend until the middle of january next year, only taking the last two weeks before school starts to have some time out.

My youngest i started at 10 months old as she is so on the go, that when her brothers werent about she was going stir crazy. She still gets a little upset when i leave at times but it doesnt last more than two minutes, and the centre is happy to agree to send one of the boys into her class if she doesnt settle, but after almost 6 months of going this hasnt yet had to happen.

I highly recommend it for one day a week. smile

Sharon, 24, Qld, 2 boys 3 & 5, girl 1.

I totally agree with Sharon. My daughter has been going to Daycare 2 days a week since she was 4 months old, and absolutely loves it. They do so many interesting things at my daycare. They fill the little plastic shells up with wet spaghetti, goop and all sorts of things and the kids go for it. They just love all the different textures. Have a think about it!!
the daycare idea is a good one ... especially as i work full time (but have always been fortunate enough to have family members to look after my son during the work days)! One thing that my son LOVES is to go on the slide at the park!! He gets upset when its time to go home! Such a cutie pie. maybe fill some old plastic containers with little bits of pasta, so your child can shake it and make some noise! i know a lot of kids my sons age that enjoy that every now and then. or get an educational (or fun) DVD for your child to watch. My son LOVES HI-5!!

eìí? well ... it started with a kiss eìí?-3-064

Sign in to follow this topic