Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

talking for a 15 month old Lock Rss

Hi everyone,

I wass just wondering when your toddlers started talking. My 15 month old DS says "dada" and says it when his dad walks in. He shouts out "dada" when he sees dad, but then eveything is dada. He says "row row row" when we sing row row row your boat, but other than that, he doesn't say anything else. He makes noises and points to things and we can tell him to do something and he will do it. Should I be worried that DS is not talking more?

ds could say "ta" at13months. by 18months he had a spurt with his speech and could say 10 words.

at 20months, to 22months we stayed in a house with 5 older kids. and he learnt so much then. so by 2 years old i think he knew as much as other children his own age.

so i wouldnt worry yet. he might just be a little slow, then learn it all at once. does he spend time with other children, i have been told that it helps them talk.

My bub started saying daa daa and ma ma when 8months but stopped saying it at 9months probably because hes more interested in pulling himself up on furniture and crawling.
Everyones different most mother i talk to say they wanted there kid to talk and as soon as they did they wanted them to shut up lol
You probably understand him without him talking eg him pointing
so maybe you could respond to him say if he points to a cup and wants it, say to him would you like the cup of water.
I guess the more you talk to them the more they take it in i wouldnt worry about it too much he will eventually get more fraustrated at communicating that way that eventually he will know that language is a quicker way of communicating. grin
If you are really worried, you could talk to your GP or CHN about it.
My DS had less than 10 words at 18 months, I brought it up with my CHN at his 18 month check. She suggested I leave it a little longer. A month or so later there was no progress so I got a referral from my GP for the Hanen - It Takes Two to Talk program at the hospital.
DS is nearl 2.5 now, and is still a bit behind but has improved alot.
The best thing I took away from the program was, when they are beginning to speak, to keep things really simple. Try not to use more than 1 or 2 words if you can. Eg, if they point to cup, using the PP's example, just say 'Cup' or 'Water' whatever you prefer. Try to just use the specific word. Sounds really simple, but it has worked wonders for us.
I don't think it hurts to look into it early, although at 15 months I wouldn't be too concerned, the things we learnt in that program were really simple, yet really effective.

my boy is now 16 months and can say the basic mumma and dadda or shorter versions depending on mood. He can also say purple and bubble and two and say words very close to banana like nana or mango nango and nanna and poppy. Some days he'll just supprise you and say a word or copy what you say and not say it again for a while.
Our little girl is quite a chatter box (now 26 months). She started talking at 9 months with 'Mum''Dad' and 'Maxie' (the cat).

She is a real parrot and can repeat words as soon as she hears them (real danger!!). She asks probing questions and knows the answers and is now testing us if we know the animals in her books.

Having watched all of the boys/girls in our mothergroup (still together) speech is just another one of those things that kids do 'when they are ready', 'when they want' and reward does not seem to influence. However reading together, spending time together and asking them questions seems to have had a pay-off. We have both chatterboxes and quiet children in our group and we all went to library story time in their early days. Some well annunciated and others not. All very NORMAL!

I just love whatever they do!!
My DS - 17 months, was saying Ma and Da but this seems to have nearly stopped recently. He answers "Yeah" or shakes his head for no. His receptive language is great. I would have thought he would have more words by now but most of my friends with first child boys have said their speech really took off after their second birthday. The director of the child care we use said she has no concerns about my DS at all and if his speech hasn't improved by 26 months then go and get it checked out. I don't think you need to be concerned just yet. I think we tend to understand them so well they don't really need to talk half the time.
Don't be at all worried they all do things at there own pace and when they are ready.
I have twin boys who are almost 15 months old and there is no comparison one has about 5 words he can say well and the other about 20!
By the time he is 2.5 yrs old you won't be able to shut him up and you will wonder why you ever worried!
DD is 19 months and can say Mumma, Dada, Ta, Nan, Whats That, Car. Most common ones are Mumma and Dadda but not always directed at us and Whats That she will point to something.

She understands a lot like "Do you want a biscuit, go and get your shoes etc so right now I am not too concerned but if she starts to fall behind then I will take her back to her paediatrician as she was 4 weeks prem.

DS Jacob 15/4/03 DD Kaitlyn 16/09/2008

They (CHN) look for 5 words at 18mths old, so I wouldn't worry too much just yet.
I have three kids - DD1 was a chatter and had about 35+ words by 18mths, talking full sentences by 2yo. DD2 barely spoke a word until she was 2, but now she wont shut up tongue (she even hums when drinking and eating!) and DD2 is 18mths old, and has about 20 words, but she is VERY selective on who she will display her skills to!

3 gorgeous girls - Baylee 14.10.03 / Kaiden 3.5.05

Nope, you don't have to worry at all at this stage smile My DS was saying 'Dada' and our dogs name 'Eddie' and that was pretty much it up until around 20 months. My MCHN told me not to worry because boys are often later to develop speech because they tend to be more into motor skill development like climbing etc and because he had good comprehention of what we were saying to him.

At about 20 months he suddenly started learning heaps of words and it was amazing how quickly he kept learning heaps of new words. He now doesn't ever shut up now lol.

Just keep up talking to him and lots of reading which they all enjoy smile

Hi..

I have a very different problem that I don't know whether it will actually be problem... but...

I have a speech impediment from epilepsy when I was a child myself now I am pregnant with my own child.. I am worried as anything that i will teach my child incorrect pronounciation and speech just from him listening and learning from me.

I have gone to many speech pathlogist all my life to improve my technique and strengthen my speech but it all comes down to me at the end of the day... I am stuck with it.

Am I worrying too much?

jasminedrew88
Sign in to follow this topic