Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

recognising colours Lock Rss

My little man (2 years, 5 months) is having trouble recognising his colours. I am not concerned at this stage, but a friend suggested colour blindness???
His physical development is great and his speech is remarkable, so again, not worried about him.
I have concentrated the last couple of weeks on doing colours with him, telling him the colours of vegies I am cutting, cars on the road, colours of clothes, Thomas trains etc....but then when I ask him again, he has no recall and when he is asked what colour something is he ALWAYS says red, lol.
I am now wondering if he is actually colour blind. Anyone have any insight into this situation.

Mum of three amazing people

No insight here sorry, just thought i would say that my dd is 27mths old and she is the same, regardless of what colour is actually is she says its red.

I always make sure to point out what colour things are and im sure in time she will work out that not everything is red.

My little man (2 years, 5 months) is having trouble recognising his colours. I am not concerned at this stage, but a friend suggested colour blindness???
His physical development is great and his speech is remarkable, so again, not worried about him.
I have concentrated the last couple of weeks on doing colours with him, telling him the colours of vegies I am cutting, cars on the road, colours of clothes, Thomas trains etc....but then when I ask him again, he has no recall and when he is asked what colour something is he ALWAYS says red, lol.
I am now wondering if he is actually colour blind. Anyone have any insight into this situation.
my little girl is 23mths she held up a piece of card and said yellow her aunty was impressed until all the different coloured were also called yellow.
My son was 'off n on' with recognizing colours... He would recongise some for much of the time n then suddenly know none.
I feared a problem like color blindness and considered going to an optometrist BUT I was told it's perfectly normal.. My son didn't seem to know most of his colors till he started primary school this year.

Thanks...

Forgot to mention that my older two children knew their before two, so he does seem a little behind compared to them BUT he is more advanced in other areas.
Thanks for making me feel normal smile
I will keep telling him and hopefully he'll get it soon. At what age would you get worried???

The whole colour blindness thing is really confusing to me.
Lets say I held up a piece of blue cardboard to 2 kids, one is colour blind and one not.
If they had never learnt the colour blue before, and I said to them 'this is blue' , even if the colour blind kid saw what we know is green, he has learnt that what he is seeing is called blue IYKWIM. So how do you tell if a kid is colour blind??

BTW my DS is 2 and 2 months and he knows his colour names, but still only gets them right in context about 5% of the time.
He went through an 'everything is blue' phase, then and 'everything is yellow' phase, so I think we are due a red phase soon smile
I know what you mean by the child not knowing any different...the reason I thought the 'red' answer to everything could be cb was what if he was seeing the same colour in many different circumstances. If you google cb it is actually overwhelming as their are many different types.

The way they know if older children are cb is if they can see a number in a circle that is made up of coloured dots, if they can't pick out the colour difference they won't be able to see the number....so how would they do it with younger children that don't know their numbers??? shapes maybe?? who knows.

well I know exactly what you mean by the colour blind test. But I imagine they'd have ways to figure it out.
One way I realized my son wasn't colour blind was when he did card matching. We'de have cards that were the same image/shapes but in different colours. Rather than asking him for the 'blue card' we'de pick up the blue card and ask him for the other one..

My little man is almost 27 months. A few weeks ago everything was blue. Now he alternatives between green, orange and yellow, nothing is blue anymore except for cars - he can always pick blue cars. We aren't concerned yet. I'm sure he'll work it out soon smile

well I know exactly what you mean by the colour blind test. But I imagine they'd have ways to figure it out.
One way I realized my son wasn't colour blind was when he did card matching. We'de have cards that were the same image/shapes but in different colours. Rather than asking him for the 'blue card' we'de pick up the blue card and ask him for the other one..

Now that's clever, I will try that smile thanks

OK
heres something that i know a bit about. DH & DS are both blue/green colour blind, but i dont think that DD is - we have given her the test (shes 3 & quite capable of doing the test)
It is genetic, so if there are no other males in your family that are colour blind, then there is NO chance that your kids can be. The males must be directly blood related

Colour blindness cannot be detected by placing 2 different cards - say one blue & one green, next to each other. It is such a complicated thing.

There are 2 basic types of colour blindness - red/green & blue/yellow. From there, they break down into many diffent degrees & descriptions. waaay too complicated. Depending where they sit on the scale, will depend on exactly what they see. So, DH sits on the scale of a 4 - scale is to 5 - so he is pretty bad, DS sits at 2, so not so bad. They get reds & greens confused when they are together - IYKWIM - so for an easy example, a green tree with red flowers... they cannot distinguish between the flowers & the leaves, yet if you put a red solid stripe on a card next to a card with a green solid stripe, they can pick the difference & answer correctly. It is such a complicated condition. Dont even talk to me about shades of colours... argh....

for toddlers, i have found the easiest way to detect colour blindness (red/green only, but that is the most common one) is to put some red pegs in the grass & ask the child to pick up the pegs for you. they will either have difficulty finding them, or just wont be able to see them at all.

But like i said, if there is NO history of it in your family - so you or your partners fathers, grandfathers, being colour blind, it is impossible for your children to be.

The expectation for children to learn & recognise colours is 5, so dont stress!
Sign in to follow this topic