Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Speech Therapy - UPDATED Rss

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it.

I think I'll wait and see what preschool says and probably still give it until the end of the year before organising formal speech therapy. He's still got another year of 4 year old preschool next year so it's not as if he's starting school next year and going to struggle.

But I'll be paying more attention to how he says things now and try to correct him - I just noticed before he said tato instead of potato - but I'm sure that one is fairly common no??

Ro I would check with your GP now and maybe get a referral, from what i have heard it can take ages to get into a speech pathologist and you can always cancel an appointment later on if you don't need it. That might be better than waiting and deciding that yes he does need to see someone and have to wait a long time before you can IYKWIM??
Of course it is totally up to you, just what i would do.

Have any of your friends noticed a problem? I would tend to think that preschool would've said something had there been a problem - seeings he's there for a longer period than at music.

Check with preschool, and if at all concerned see your GP or MCHN.

Have any of your friends noticed a problem? I would tend to think that preschool would've said something had there been a problem - seeings he's there for a longer period than at music.

Check with preschool, and if at all concerned see your GP or MCHN.

No no-one has said anything before - but I wondered if that was out of politeness???? I'll definitely be checking with preschool though.

He's only in music for 30minutes each week on his own and is very excited during that period - so I don't think she gets a good assessment of his speech during that time.

Morning Ro!
I wanted to add a quick reply here, and share some of my professional experiences (for what it is worth!!)
As you know,I know the person who approached you yesterday,and she does interact pretty closely with the children,even if it is for only a short time each week. I don't know Judd, but don't totally discredit what she has said.
As a preschool teacher, we often need to make many observations, and spend a lot of one on one time with a child whose speech we are concerned about before we mention anything to the parent. We do a few 'tests' (not the right word) and games to try to work out what is going on. So this may be why Judd's teachers haven't said anything yet.

In the past I work with a child who had some very severe speech issues which are hindering his play and interactions with children and staff. This parent was approach very early in their first year of 4 yr old year,but decided not to do anything until the year before they started school.. We had a child who had developed a stutter, facial blocks and very poor sound formation and who has a long road ahead of him at school where speech therapy is continuing.
I am not saying Judd is likethis AT ALL!! but, if there does turnout to be a bit of a concern, don't wait until next year,I would start working on it now. It is never too early, and some things develop into habits which are very hard to break.
Hope this helps.
Michelle

Morning Ro!
I wanted to add a quick reply here, and share some of my professional experiences (for what it is worth!!)
As you know,I know the person who approached you yesterday,and she does interact pretty closely with the children,even if it is for only a short time each week. I don't know Judd, but don't totally discredit what she has said.
As a preschool teacher, we often need to make many observations, and spend a lot of one on one time with a child whose speech we are concerned about before we mention anything to the parent. We do a few 'tests' (not the right word) and games to try to work out what is going on. So this may be why Judd's teachers haven't said anything yet.

Thanks Michelle I appreciate your opinion.

I chatted to the preschool teacher this morning and she said she had no problems with Judd at all. She said like all kids when he gets excited he has trouble getting out what he wants to say but that that was perfectly normal for his age. She said he was understood and his sounds were progressing normally. I'm inclined to listen to the preschool teacher a little more as she has more time with him each week - although she is going to keep an eye on it now that I've raised the issue.

I seriously think it's because Judd is so excited in Kindermusic that there is the issues as he is an incredibly excitable boy and does struggle to get out what he means when he's excited.

Anyway thanks for all the advice.

I actually would take the music teacher's comments on board and see a speech therapist, due to my own personal experience.

When I was almost nine, my teacher informed my mother that I had something wrong with my speech and that I should see a speech therapist. By this age, I'd obviously had a number of teachers as I'd gone to daycare from age 2, and no-one else had ever said anything. We had recently emigrated to NZ from the UK, and my mother thought that there was nothing wrong with my speech and what this teacher was hearing was just my English accent!

However, at the age of 16, various events led to me being diagnosed with a partial hearing loss. I'd been born with it, and it had affected my speech, and this was what my teacher had been hearing all those years ago when he commented on my speech problems. So in all the years I'd been in school and all the teachers I had, only one had ever picked up on it.

This is why I think that even though it is only one teacher that has spoken to you about your son, it is definitely worth investigating. It would concern me all the more when it is a music teacher, as musicians should have good listening skills and there is a good chance that she can hear things that others do not.
It might be wise to approach the music teacher and ask her to explain what she thinks the problem with Judd's speech is. I would explain that Kindy has no problem and try to find out her reasoning and go from there.

Mum of three amazing people

I have had 3 of my kids in speech and my 2 yo is waiting for an appt too. My 11yo goes for a review every 6-12 months as the speech pathologist assess his reading and spelling. My 8yo no longer goes as she exceeded expectation and flew past her peers and my 6 1/2yo goes fortnightly and is working on his reading and sight words.

They have been for at least 2 years each regularly and my baby doesn't say much so from experience he too is booked in for an assessment and help if required.

Look into it and get an assessment done sooner rather than later as it is harder for the child as they get older as habits set in.

Good luck
Kerry smile

Sign in to follow this topic