Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Dyspraxia Rss

My 3 and a half year old is attending a speech therapist and they have told me that my son could have Dyspraxia , just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this in the family and how have you dealt with it?

Thanx
Mother of son aged 10 , son aged 7 , daughter aged 6 , son aged 3 and a daughter aged 14 months.

carolyn

I would like to know more as well as my son who is now 7 was diagnosed with autism at 22 months but my husband and I think it is Dyspraxia.

We saw a link with a woman who does EEG and lot of them had hidden seizures and were put on an anti seizure drug and are now fully talking. We just sent an email so we can know more about it and see if it is worth it getting our son tested.

DS Jacob 15/4/03 DD Kaitlyn 16/09/2008

Hi,
My daughter is 3 and 3 months and only just starting to say singular words. She was diagnosed at 2 years by a speech and also occupational therapist as verbal and mild motor dyspraxic. We work very hard with her with little reward its so disheartning as shes a very bright little poppet and tries so hard. The paediatrician doesnt agree with dyspraxic diagnosis so we're off for an EEG next week - other than the previous post hadnt heard of the seizures etc...would love to hear from others. Sometimes you feel so isolated....

Hi,
My daughter is 3 and 3 months and only just starting to say singular words. She was diagnosed at 2 years by a speech and also occupational therapist as verbal and mild motor dyspraxic. We work very hard with her with little reward its so disheartning as shes a very bright little poppet and tries so hard. The paediatrician doesnt agree with dyspraxic diagnosis so we're off for an EEG next week - other than the previous post hadnt heard of the seizures etc...would love to hear from others. Sometimes you feel so isolated....

My DD is 2 and 4 months and as yet she is not talking. She is saying heaps of baby babble but no real words. We have done hearing tests, brain scans (she had measles at 6 months of age) all of them came back fine. She is sort of seeing a speech therapist (we live in a small town with limited services but we are moving as of 1 July). The speech therapist thinks it might be dispraxia but can't diagnose it until she has 20 to 50 words.

I will be watching this thread to see what other people say. It is so heart breaking as I think she is starting to get that she can't talk like we can as she tries to tell us something and we don't understand so she gets this look on her face and grabs our hand and takes us to show us what ever she is on about.

One question, what is an EEG?

It's where they attatch the wires to your head and look at your brainwaves.

My DD is 2 and 4 months and as yet she is not talking. She is saying heaps of baby babble but no real words. We have done hearing tests, brain scans (she had measles at 6 months of age) all of them came back fine. She is sort of seeing a speech therapist (we live in a small town with limited services but we are moving as of 1 July). The speech therapist thinks it might be dispraxia but can't diagnose it until she has 20 to 50 words.

I will be watching this thread to see what other people say. It is so heart breaking as I think she is starting to get that she can't talk like we can as she tries to tell us something and we don't understand so she gets this look on her face and grabs our hand and takes us to show us what ever she is on about.

The EEG is a brain scan of sorts to check the frequencies of her brain and in particular her sleep to see if she may be having silent seizures. At 2months old she was stopping breathing but had a sleep apnia test which was clear and had a small operation on her throat to widen her airway, which we thought fixed the problem, in hindsight it may not have been either.....Does your daughter have any signs of motor dyspraxia??? Its a catch 22...Its great that all tests come back fine but on the flipside answers and a solution would be good also. Trying using some basic signs that got my daughter through her periods of frustration - its amazing how quickly they learn...we only use basics; toilet, doll, house, biscuit, chair, table, more, love....she makes up her own too like potato out of Wiggles hot potato actions - very cute. We've just started using ABC reading eggs and whilst your DD may be a little young have a look - there are free trials. We've only started our "computer games" I call them in the last 3weeks but she's already picked up 2 sounds which she's never had before. I've put together little photo books and different games to make exercises more enticing - happy to email you if you like....
Sign in to follow this topic