Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

2 Year Old Speech? Lock Rss

Hey, I have some concerns about my girls speech...
she can say a lot of words, and string words together, but she still babbles a LOT, and what she says isn't always very clear, she's been checked by and audiologist and has fluid behind her right ear drum, but I'm just feeling like the biggest failure sad
The maternal nurse said that she is babbling too much and isn't as coherent as she should be and the audiologist said she should be saying more sad
I thought she was doing very well before I saw either of them sad

I sit and read to her, I explain everything I do, I try to 'annunciate' everything I say and mimic words to help her say them clearer, I do everything that I have been told I should but she (being a 2 year old) won't pay much attention some times, will ignore me, or just won't want to say words some times sad
Yet other times (We were at the park and I called her daddy a show off and she pointed to him and said 'show off' so clear! And I wasn't trying to get her to say it!) she will say things we barely say sad

I know that every child develops differently, and that I may 'get my head bitten off' for asking about her speech,
but being a SAHM and being the one who teaches her, and being a mum who loves her daughter more than life itself I am just worried about her speech...

Any suggestions, stories or anything would be very muchly appreciated,
TIA & Sorry for the long post

I'm interested to see PP's comment - that children should know 50 to 100 words by the time they are 2 - I think this sounds like a huge amount and I wonder how many children really do know this many.

My DD is almost 23 months. She has very good comprehension and clearly understands most of what is said to her. She is a little parrot and will repeat quite a lot of what I say, but this isn't the same as regularly using a certain word. I would say that she probably uses 50ish words on a regular basis - so this is within that guideline then - but everyone seems to think that she has an exceptionally large vocabulary, even her teachers at daycare who are used to dealing with children of this age group.

Aside from that, I agree with PP - she will get there in her own time.

Also, people like maternal nurses can only judge so far. The child may be shy and may not speak in front of them as well as they do normally. Obviously you will have described your daughter's speech, but to a certain extent measurements are subjective - what's "a lot" of words? What's babbling "a lot"? So, whilst people like maternal nurses can provide some guidance and insight, if you thought you were doing okay and didn't have any major concerns then I wouldn't let her put such major doubts in your mind.

I don't know how much contact you have with other toddlers - do you go on play dates, for example, or go to playgroups? If not, you might find it helpful to do so. It will reassure you when you see how differently they all develop. My DD, for example, who is thought to be quite advanced verbally, is/was incredibly behind with a lot of her physical milestones. And you never know, it might help your DD to have someone her own age to try to talk to!

I have a cousin who didn't speak properly until he was about 7 or 8 years old, and I can guarantee you that there is nothing wrong with him at all! He was a little overindulged by his family perhaps, he was the youngest of four and his older brother would simply follow him around translating his baby babble (yes even at 7 or 8) rather than him being encouraged to speak properly. But one day he just started speaking properly! He is intelligent, did well at school and then went on to university.

Hey, I have some concerns about my girls speech...
she can say a lot of words, and string words together, but she still babbles a LOT, and what she says isn't always very clear, she's been checked by and audiologist and has fluid behind her right ear drum, but I'm just feeling like the biggest failure sad
The maternal nurse said that she is babbling too much and isn't as coherent as she should be and the audiologist said she should be saying more sad
I thought she was doing very well before I saw either of them sad

I sit and read to her, I explain everything I do, I try to 'annunciate' everything I say and mimic words to help her say them clearer, I do everything that I have been told I should but she (being a 2 year old) won't pay much attention some times, will ignore me, or just won't want to say words some times sad
Yet other times (We were at the park and I called her daddy a show off and she pointed to him and said 'show off' so clear! And I wasn't trying to get her to say it!) she will say things we barely say sad

I know that every child develops differently, and that I may 'get my head bitten off' for asking about her speech,
but being a SAHM and being the one who teaches her, and being a mum who loves her daughter more than life itself I am just worried about her speech...

Any suggestions, stories or anything would be very muchly appreciated,
TIA & Sorry for the long post

Hi

From what you've described I think your little girl is doing just fine, their development at this age can happen rapidly - one day they are not saying many words and in a matter of weeks their vocabulary explodes. It is difficult for a maternal nurse to make an accurate diagnosis of speech in the short space of an appointment, most kids go quiet and shy around people they do not know and wont speak as they would at home with mum and dad. Same would apply with the audiologist, at 2 years of age its not like they would go into a situation like that and be confident and rattle off all the words they know.

I think the good news is she can clearly repeat phrases you have said, she doesnt have a hearing problem or comprehension problem and you are doing all the right things by regularly reading to her, explaining things etc.

The only thing I'd do is ease up on trying to make her repeat things, dont make it a chore for her... or for yourself either. There's no exact no. of words they should say - there's a range of what's considered "normal". I think I'd be concerned if your DD wasnt saying more than a couple of words, didnt attempt at all to repeat anything she has heard and didnt respond to your communication - ie she comprehends what you are saying even though she may not verbally respond or be able to say the words herself. If she has the comprehension then the words will come to her in her own time.

Stress less smile she sounds fine.
Thanks everyone,

A lot for us means, that when she is in the company of a stranger she doesn't go shy, she just stops using her words and full on babbles and uses gibberish, we're used to her doing it around strangers as her dad was exactly the same as a kid,

I got told that she should be able to say at least 50, but I don't exactly sit there and count each word she says or has said, I need to do a list again I think,

Thanks, I know she's fine and will get there in her own time, just feel like such a failure when people say things like that, she comprehends very well and knows what I am saying when I am talking (she pays attention and if I ask if she wants a specific thing she will run to it, or if I ask her to pass me something she goes and gets it),

Thanks for your replies, they are reassuring, thank you

Woops, forgot to answer something sorry,

Yeah, we go to a mums/kids/play group, she has lots of interaction with kids and other adults,

And with repeating things, I try not to do it too much as she gets cranky if I do too smile

I'm sorry but 50-100 words for a 2 yr old. That is extreme. I was told at that age it matches pretty much their month eg 20 months 20 words, and this doesn't have to be clearly pronounced. Maybe it should be understand 50-100.
If she's comprehending that's fine. Keep it simple instructions 2 words - get shoes, get hat. My daughter has a severe speech delay and that's how we started. Also stop talking was great advice - ask her what something is then wait 15 seconds. ask again then WAIT. Then say the answer but don't answer straight away for her. Then praise any noise she makes.
Off to ameeting but will try to pop back on later

I'm sorry but 50-100 words for a 2 yr old. That is extreme. I was told at that age it matches pretty much their month eg 20 months 20 words, and this doesn't have to be clearly pronounced. Maybe it should be understand 50-100.
If she's comprehending that's fine. Keep it simple instructions 2 words - get shoes, get hat. My daughter has a severe speech delay and that's how we started. Also stop talking was great advice - ask her what something is then wait 15 seconds. ask again then WAIT. Then say the answer but don't answer straight away for her. Then praise any noise she makes.
Off to ameeting but will try to pop back on later

I have read from many sources that the expectation is 50-100 words between ages 2 and 3. Of course its a guide and not all children do this but I dont think its extreme, probably because my 2 1/2 year old can say at least 100 words and put together 10 word sentences and her little friends same age also have wide vocabularies and good pronounciation. I've known kids that dont say a whole lot at this age and around 3 and sometimes even 4 their speech takes off, they all develop differently.

Comprehension is a key factor and I think the OPs DD is doing just fine.
Sign in to follow this topic