Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Late talker or something more? Lock Rss

Hi my son is 2 years and 7 months old. He started to crawl at 12 months old and walk at 22 months old. My concern with my son is that he doesn't say much. No actual words at all just alot of vowel sounds. He also grunts alot, takes my hand and shows me what he wants and somewhat understands what my husband and I say to him. He is seeing a speech therapist buts HATES IT (he chucks a tantrum everytime we enter the consulting rooms)! He just started gymbaroo and loves it . He is a loving boy and enjoys playing with his cousins, grandparents and especially mum, dad and baby sister grin . Is there any other parent out there going through what I am because it is stressing me out thinking my son will never talk.
My eldest daughter is exactly the same!!! She is 3 next month and im back to stressing out because i was assured that by now she would be saying SOMETHING. i mean, she says mummy and there's the odd word here and there. She likes to babble and garble, she doesnt really ever stop talking, its just baby talk.

She was a late crawler and she only walked at 19 months, after a lot of practice with me and her dad.

She hears things fine, unless its me telling her off and then she acts like im on mute lol. The docotrs ive seen have said that being as she's a late crawler, walker etc that its only natural shes a late talker. I will be seeing my gp again soon though, its kind of beyond the joke and im sick of people looking at me with pity when they realise she doesnt talk.

I hope your little man starts talking soon, although if he hears well and is healthy i doubt there's anything wrong. Just something we can laugh about when the kids are 16 and always on the phone. Let us know if there's any progress or you see a doctor, i would love to hear smile

Have you had his hearing checked? I know they do it when they are a newborn, but that could have changed since then. My friends boy is 2yr4mth and he was saying lots of single words, but has now stopped talking altogether, and has been recommended to get his hearing checked by his carer.

Yes my son has had his hearing checked in May and got grommets inserted into his ears as well, so no problem there

My eldest daughter is exactly the same!!! She is 3 next month and im back to stressing out because i was assured that by now she would be saying SOMETHING. i mean, she says mummy and there's the odd word here and there. She likes to babble and garble, she doesnt really ever stop talking, its just baby talk.

She was a late crawler and she only walked at 19 months, after a lot of practice with me and her dad.

She hears things fine, unless its me telling her off and then she acts like im on mute lol. The docotrs ive seen have said that being as she's a late crawler, walker etc that its only natural shes a late talker. I will be seeing my gp again soon though, its kind of beyond the joke and im sick of people looking at me with pity when they realise she doesnt talk.

I hope your little man starts talking soon, although if he hears well and is healthy i doubt there's anything wrong. Just something we can laugh about when the kids are 16 and always on the phone. Let us know if there's any progress or you see a doctor, i would love to hear smile

Thank you for your comments. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only mother in the world going through this, but there are so many parents who have the same problem I have realised. My son is very healthy, yes, and I hope that he is just a natural late talker as your gp said about your daughter. My husband and I too feel the same way about people wondering what they might be saying about our little man. It hurts so much to see kids his age talk up a storm. I truly feel like a failure. sad I too hope your daughter starts to talk soon as well. Good luck with everything laugh
Please dont feel bad. I understand exactly what you are going through. My son was also a late talker.. his first real words didnt come til 2.5, 2 word sentences only at 3 years old. He started speech therapy at 3.5 (which he loves so a bit different from your little man). He turned 4 in april and he is now talking in full sentences. He is still a little behind with his sentence structure but he certainly has no problems expressing himself now. A few weeks ago while i was asking him to get out of the bath he said "Mama, you need to be patient. I've got 10 minutes in here. Im still playing!" He has really come out of his shell and is enjoying playing with his peers now. As long as your son is understanding what you are saying to him and can understand instructions then i would guess he is just a late talker. Speech therapy is great for them but i think if you just give him a little time he will be ok. Keep reading books to him - i found nursery rhymes were good too for them to learn. Good luck!

jayray

Hi Hi...
My son is exactly same... his 22 months in couple of weeks, and still not walking... he still crawls, and only says mum and sister's nickname..
He got his ears checked and they are fine... He goes to physio and speech therapy... Im was so concerned to but reading all these posts made me bit relieved...
SO.. your not alone.. I just hope our kids are taking it easy and will catch up other children soon.
Sign in to follow this topic