Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

When did your toddler Lock Rss

I'm posting this thread so I can show my DP. Our niece is the same age as our DD (16 months) just 6 days younger and she has started toilet training and has got a very good vocabulary. Our DD can say quite a few words and for the passed week everyday she has said something new.

Now DP thinks she is progressing slow and I have tried to tell him thousands of times she isn't and she is doing very well for her age. I think he is just comparing the two girls. Our niece has a older brother to look up too and goes to a family daycare where there is only 4 kids.

So my question is, when did your kids starting saying sentences and toilet training?

I just think he is being hard on DD and himself.

I haven't even planned to start toilet training DD until next summer (apparently that's the easiest time to do it?)

Thanks girls smile
I agree, each child is different, I put my DDs name on the list for a speech pathologist at nearly 2, she got in just before she turned 3, and there is nothing wrong, she hardly said anywords, especially compared to her friends in mothers group.

As far as the toilet training, she wants to be like her brother, my 19month old DS loves sitting on the toilet, mainly because his sister is always on it, he has done 2 wees and 2 poos, this is in a few months, dont push too much, she will get there when she is ready.

It is much easier TT in summer, thats when we did DD

Hey, my daughter will be 16months on the 4th and is no where near ready to toilet train and not giving any signs at all, but there are some kids in our mothers group that are, also DD is only saying a handful of words and no sentences x

I'm posting this thread so I can show my DP. Our niece is the same age as our DD (16 months) just 6 days younger and she has started toilet training and has got a very good vocabulary. Our DD can say quite a few words and for the passed week everyday she has said something new.

Now DP thinks she is progressing slow and I have tried to tell him thousands of times she isn't and she is doing very well for her age. I think he is just comparing the two girls. Our niece has a older brother to look up too and goes to a family daycare where there is only 4 kids.

So my question is, when did your kids starting saying sentences and toilet training?

I just think he is being hard on DD and himself.

I haven't even planned to start toilet training DD until next summer (apparently that's the easiest time to do it?)

Thanks girls smile

Both my girls language took off around 17-18 months, as for sentences that came a bit later. My youngest is a couple of months off turning 3 and speaks fluently in long sentences.

Both my kids started toilet training at 2 1/2 and within a matter of days had it sorted. Straight into undies and away they went. They pooped on the toilet from around 18 months which at first was a matter of regular bowel movements so knowing when to put them on the toilet and as they got older they'd tell me. But for full training and into undies it was 2 1/2.

Personally I think the younger you start toilet training, the longer it takes and wouldnt bother at 16 months. They might have started TT but it could be along time yet before she's actually trained. Night training can take even longer and its not unusual to be 3 or more for that, its a developmental thing that you cannot rush.

There's a huge range of whats normal, you shouldnt compare your child to others as the benchmark of what they should be doing. Its a bit of a worry that at 16 months they are under pressure to do this or that because another child is, celebrate your baby for who she is and what she can do, they grow up way too quickly - enjoy her being a baby, it doesnt last long.
My DD could say a few words at 16months but nothing outstanding.

by 2 she could put 3-4 word sentences together but still wasn't ready for toilet training although we were coming into winter anyway..she is an april baby.

so we held off toilet training till summer...she was about 2years and 8months when we hit toilet training with full force and it didn't take too long at all. she got wee's almost straight away and poo's followed a few weeks later.

16months IMO is too young and they will probaby regress more then progress at that age.

I was in no rush to make DD grow up and push her into things she wasn't ready for, so waiting to toilet train was no big deal for us smile

ds probably didnt start saying much to around 18 months. he started toilet training when he was 2 years 8 months. took him 1 week and he was fully day trained. 3 weeks to be fully night trained.

dd started talking at around 12-14 months. alot of it we could understand but no one else could lol and alot only my ds could understand. shed be talking gibbering and he would tell her off for saying a naughty word. she started toilet training 4 weeks ago at 2 years 5 months and she is fully day and night trained though i am not yet confident enough to not put her to bed at night in a pull up.

she has definately started things alot earlier due to having ds. walking, talking etc. having an older sibling shows them what they should/can be doing so they try earlier and harder.

at 16 months i wouldnt be expecting minimal words and no signs of toilet training at all.
My DD wasn't TT til just after she turned 3 smile She just wasn't interested in it until then but it turned out to be a great time because she could fully grasp the concept of using the toilet! Had her day trained in less than a week and night trained the week after...

As for talking, at about 18 months her vocabulary really took off and she started using sentences, knew her colours and shapes etc...

All kids are different, there's no right or wrong smile
DD started saying 3 & 4 word sentences at 15 months but all of my friends with similar aged kids commented that her vocab seemed more advanced than their kids (so I don't think she was particularly "typical").

She now regularly says sentences of more than 10 words.......

She is not, however, ready for toilet training yet!! She has no interest in wearing undies and although she loves to sit on the toilet and pretend to wee she has never told me that she needs to do a wee or poo. She doesn't even seem bothered when she has a big poo in her pants and will often resist having it changed (GROSS!!). If I ask her if she wants to wear undies she says "not yet Mummy". I'll be waiting until she shows an interest in TT before starting, I do hope she becomes keen soonish though, I don't want to have to wash 2 lots of cloth nappies in July when the new bub comes!!!
Little master is 3 and he just started saying sentences. Sometimes he can say stuff and you can understand him and other times it just like he saying one big long words.

With tt we started before he turned 3 and yes he comes 2 steps foward and 1 step back but we get there.

My nephew who a month older than mine is tt but he doesn't talk, so it just shows every child is different.

I just wanted to add that my hubby worries too.
He thinks because our neices and nephew are doing this or that, that little master should be doing the same but i said to him that ours will do things in their own time.

Our neices and nephew learnt fast because the fact that the oldest one was doing it they wanted to do the same has their sibling was.

DD#1's first sentence was 'no woah-woah, that's mine yummy-yummy' (when the dog tried to eat her sandwich), she was about 15/16 months old. She is a particularly talkative little girl, we get comments all the time about how much she talks and how people can understand her. As for toilet training, it is a complete train wreck. She is not remotely interested and we are having HUGE problems with her holding on to her poos and getting severely constipated. She doesn't want a bar of sitting on the toilet, or potty and screams if I suggest she wears pretty knickers. I'm hoping that she will come around eventually, hopefully a summer of nudie bums at the beach does it...
Sign in to follow this topic