Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

No talking- when should I worry Rss

My lad took awhile to learn to talk too.
He should have had his speak checked at his 2 year check. If he needs a pathologist they help at this age. When they're older they don't help and you got to go private which is a financial kick in the crotch.
My lad was about three I think before he really started getting the grasp of things and was 4 when it all started happening clearly.
My girl, she's three in 4 months and is now really getting clearer in her speech.
So some kids DO take longer.
But, if I were you, Id assuage my fears and take him to my health person for a check up and mention the speech.
Obviously my ds is a few months younger so can't help but you made me feel a little better about my ds speech. I always wonder if he's behind. There was a 17 month old at play group the other day saying several words very clearly got me worried as ds is 19 months, saying a few but not clearly at all, more like similar sounds with 'd's and 'b's mixed up our just the vowel sounds. Would live to know when I/you really should worry

You know what, I didn't know about the 2 year check myself either! I found out a few years later when I needed a speech pathologist as he was saying a few sounds wrong (very minor). Then confirmed that early this year when I took my new daughter former first immunisations and the lady said I also have to book my two year old in for her check up and might as well do it at baby's next immunisations :/
Doctors aren't going to give a toss about anything unless you mention it. So you can go t the Doctors all you want about anything else and they won't generally say a thing about anything that's not to do with the reason your there.
Good luck getting him checked. smile Hopefully he's just taking his own sweet time. wink
You mentioned he's been to the gp due to illness. If it is tonsils or ears related, they can cause speech delays.
My DD has only just started saying lots. At 2, l was a little concerned about her speech but as she has 2 older brothers to talk for her, she had no need to talk much!

Hi guys, going slightly off thread, but have a question about the 2 yr old check up. What state does it exist in? I live in WA, and reading through our "purple book " check ups are done at newborn, 6-8wks, 3-4 mths, 8 mths, 18mths, and 3 yrs. could never work out why there wasn't one at 12 mths! Or 2yrs!
My ds was only saying about 4 words at two years. He went on public waiting list for 12 months. I got fed up waiting. It was for group sessions too not one on one sessions. I started him in private speech therapy. He also now goes to Ecdu special school for his speech delay. He was diagnosed as having a severe speech & language delay. He is now 3 1/2yrs & is starting to say alot more words & sentences. He still has a long way to go though.

My 2nd daughter was barely saying any words at two. I read theat children should have a vocabulary or 50 words at two, so I freaked out a little. At 2 and a half she started to talk and she is such a chatterbox now we can't shut her up. No speech problems at all, a whiz at school (almost 8 now) and could read beautifully by the end of grade one. I wouldn't fret too much, just wait a bit longer.
Awolf78 wrote:
Hi guys, going slightly off thread, but have a question about the 2 yr old check up. What state does it exist in? I live in WA, and reading through our "purple book " check ups are done at newborn, 6-8wks, 3-4 mths, 8 mths, 18mths, and 3 yrs. could never work out why there wasn't one at 12 mths! Or 2yrs!

In Victoria there is defiantly a check at 12mths and 2years. All the check ups have been with Maternal child and health nurses.
I wouldn't be panicking just yet. I don't really know many kids that were saying much before 2, but I hear an awful lot of parents talking about going speech pathology because they are "meant" to be saying however much at that age.
My dd1 was barely saying anything at 2. When she started talking 2.5-3yrs she suddenly was talking very well. She was extremely verbose if anything. at 3 she was saying things like "oh, look at that little critter scuttling off into the bushes!" She went from barely speaking to speaking extremely clearly and using extra words wherever possible. Now at 6 she has a great vocab and can speak some french as well.
Try not to stress. Its pretty normal, but take him to get checked if you are worried.
ALL KIDS DEVELOP AT DIFFERENT AGES!!!!!!!!!!!
My son is 2 years 10 months. His been saying a few words [mum dad juice blu etc etc] Probably around 50 words up.
All words he tries to say [this has only started recently] so if he was to ask for a peanut butter sandwhich he says 'pee saa'
His had two 'speech therapy' sessions, was on a wating list for about 6 months
Just has his hearing tested [hearing is perfect]
I know a thousand million things could be the reason his not talking, but in my personal experience he just isnt ready. His cousin didnt speak tilll prep!!

I think as long as you get the hearing thing outta the way and if u have no other cncerns dont stress yourself hun, cause i did and i know nothing is wrong it will come when it comes xx

Sign in to follow this topic