Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Your Toddler's Growth and Development
  5. Recognising colours, numbers, letters

Recognising colours, numbers, letters Lock Rss

Hi Everyone

I promise I will look this up in a book but does anyone know the normal age children start recognising and beign able to point out numbers, letters and colours???

Nicole

Don't know the average age, but my son knew these before he was 2 and reads hundreds of words now. But he is a rare case because he does all this but doesn't talk much.

Vaccines: Question what you're told...

Jake started counting to 10 and knew his abcs off heart it 18 months he knew shapes by 2 yrs and only recentally learnt colours at about 2 1/2 years he is know 3 years old. Children only learn what parents teach them. So im guessing any age over about 16 months they will start to learn but only if the parent teaches and the child wants to be taught. He can know count to 20 so his had a good head start. jake was very easy to tech though he wanted to learn. All children are different he will learn in time

Selene, NSW, JAKE 3 TAYLAH 1

I don't know the right answer but my 22 mth old daughter recognises lots of letters and can tell me words that start with them, has known shapes (circle, square, star, triangle, rectangle) since 12 mths, recognises numbers and can also read some simple words eg mum, my, dad, dog. A lot of this I have no idea how she learnt - I taught her shapes and a few letters but she doesn't go to daycare and I am her main carer - I guess they just pick it up.

Carly - mummy to Alyssa, Ava and Mason

my little girl is 23months and recongises 1,2,3. she also understands A, B and C and knows a few colours. im teaching my daughter the basics first but has a book which has the alphabet with a picture beside it. It comes witha cd which the people sing and say the alphabet. its great. Its really colourful so its attractive to the kids.

philippa mum of Charley chicken

My daughter, Hayley is almost 2 (in October) and she can count to three, also if you say "one" then she'll say "two" afterwards.

Cassie, mum to Hayley and Skye

Gosh no idea what age they are meant to! My son loves pointing out colours and can count to 5, but when it comes to speaking, he would rather make animal sounds!
Ask him any animal and he will tell you what it does, but he will not say what the animals are...oh well, all in good time!!

Me, NSW & DS 22.12.04

Hi Nic,
I think it really depends on the child and how much time the parents spend on them also. I babysit a little boy who is 10 days older than my girl and he can count to 20, say the alphabet and point out shapes and a few colours. His mum said that she spends a little time with him on these things but not huge amounts. I have been trying to get my girl to learn numbers and letters etc and so far I can only get her to repeat them after me, except for 8. She knows what 8 is! I plan on spending more time with her on these things, as I have been a little slack since finishing work on these developmental things!

DD1 July 2004 DD2 August 2007 DS September 2009

Sign in to follow this topic