Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Fear of Swimming Lessons Lock Rss

I have just started swimming lessons with my 14 month old twins. The first lesson was OK, but then subsequent lessons BOTH boys screamed and screamed for the WHOLE lesson. Lots of the other mums said they had been in the same situation. I think the teacher was even getting annoyed which made me feel even worse. When I got home I just cried and cried - I felt so bad for them. I know swimming lessons are vital - but to pay money every week to see your kids scream is just heartbreaking. Has anyone else been in this situation? What did you do?

Victoria ~ 3yr old beautiful twin boys

This post has been edited by the moderator.
Hi Twin mum

My suggestion is to make any interaction with water fun, whether in the bath, shower or wading pool. I started gettig my son used to the water at 6 days old. I put him in the shower with me and put his head under. I also did this in the bath, saying 1,2,3 then pour water over his head. He loves the water now, I had him in swimming lessons for 4 months but took him out because it got too expensive and he would scream when he had to get out. I also take him to the local pool regularly and let him play.

Its probably harder for you as you have twins but try making water time fun at home and maybe they will start enjoying their swimming lessons. Hope this helps

qld,3yr old boy

If the teacher gets annoyed, then shes not the right person to be teaching your children. The children may be reacting because they sense her annoyance. Are you able to switch teachers.

I started my 15 month old 3 months ago and we still have good and bad sessions. And the teacher says its pretty common and has lots of patience.

My advice would be change teachers.

Sharon, 24, Qld, 2 boys 3 & 5, girl 1.

Also, is anyone else in the water with you or do you have the twins in with just you?? Our school will only let one baby with one adult for reasons such as what you are going thorugh.

If your children dont have a fear of water, i really do think that it may be the teacher who is the probelm smile

LOL, ignore my last post, i really should read all contributions before posting grin

Thanks for all the replies. We have decided to take a break from swimming lessons for the time being. As the weather is getting hotter we are taking the boys into our pool at home - they are still not too sure - so I will try and let them regain their water confidence with mum and dad before trying another teacher.

Victoria ~ 3yr old beautiful twin boys

Hi Victoria,

I started my daughter in swimming lessons this year and she screamed the whole entire lesson for the first three weeks and I felt so bad. But, the other mums were really encouraging and told me to perservere and that she would get through it - which she did and now she has become a really big lover of water! Don't give up - it does get better.
Nicole

Nicole NT

Sign in to follow this topic