Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Convulsions Lock Rss

Hi Ladies, Recently my son had a convulsion, luckily iwas at the doctors surgery when it happened, as I would of paniced, His eyes were turned back only showing the white, he was jittery, and I though that he would never come out of it, The doctor rang the ambulance to take us to the hospital to follow it up and I was so scared, as this had never happened before and in the Morning before I dropped him off at my mothers he was fine, not even signs of being sick, It happenned so suddenly as he got a high temp and my mother told me to come and get him and take him to the doctor. It was very frightening, we were fearing the worst for a few minutes, just in shock...., Hopefully this will never happen again, I was told if it ever happened again to lay him on his side and call an ambulance. In the end he ended up having a virus the doctor said, Thankfully. I would love to hear from any other mums who have been through this aswell, and what you did when it happened. Once they have one convulsion are they more likely to have another ?, Ren

Ren, Qld, 2yr boy

hi ren,

not sure if this would be the reason for the convulsion, but it is common for children to convulse when they have high temperatures. this is the body's way of getting rid of excess heat.

this happened to my son when he was about 15 months old because he had high fever. i too freaked out and was sooo worried, but found out it is called a febrile convulsion (a convulsion brought on by high fever)

hope this makes u feel better!

Jubs_n_Tia, 24, NSW, boy 06/11/99 + girl 15/05/02

Thank you for your reply, I am just hoping this will never happen again, its a scarey experience to deal with. with my son it just happened so suddenly without any warning signs. Ren : )

Ren, Qld, 2yr boy

Hi Ren,

My 15 month old daughter has had 2 different episodes of convulsions in the past couple of months. the second was extremely scary as we were all asleep and i woke to find her shaking in my arms, blue and not breathing. When she stopped convulsing i gave her mouth to mouth while my husband rang an ambulance. I managed to get her breathing after a couple of breaths thank god(but it seemed like forever ) Once we got to the hospital the doctors couldnt really find anything wrong with her other than her 39 degree temp, they put it down to a virus. My sister has epilepsy so i know that its common to stop brething during the actual seizure, but with isobelle the shaking had stopped and she still wasnt breathing. the doctors reckon that she would of been getting some oxygen and they are pretty certain that she would of started breathing again on her own.
I just read this back and its probably just going to make you more worried - sorry

THe doctors told me that they fit because of the SUDDEN rise in temp. which is why they dont fit every time there hot only the times when it comes on quickly.
They also said theres not much u can do just make sure theres nothing lying around that they might hit themselves on, stay with them and roll them onto their side after the fit has finished.
SORRY again if ive just made you feel worse if its any help my eldest child also had one(we have a strong family history) and never had another
bye

Carlie, 3 girls 12/02/98,05/08/03 & 06/08/05

Thank you for your replies, It must of been so scarey for you Ambelle, It hasnt made me feel worst, I want to be educted more and more about this topic, and hear peoples stories, I want to be prepared if it ever happened again, As I thought we were losing our son. Ren, : )

Ren, Qld, 2yr boy

Sign in to follow this topic