Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Enjoying helping Lock Rss

For some time I've been including DD where possible to help cooking. Now, she loves it. When it comes time to prepare food I ask her to come help and she comes running. She pushes her chair over to stand up and help. I am amazed at how much help she is, plus its really nice bonding time.

Just thought I'd share and wondered if other parents do this with their kids, its worth a shot - good fun.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Kazi, thats great. What sort of food do you prepare with her?
Does this make her WANT to eat food?

My 23 month old DS is so fussy with his food, if it isn't meat or dairy he's not interested.

We do pretty much every-thing. She will stand at the bench and break or cut up cheese (blunt kids knife), put lettuce on a plate, stir a bowl (scone mix, cake mix etc), tonight she put tomato sauce on our hot dogs and sprinkled cheese on top. She has a go at putting spreads on bread but it can be a bit messy. Yesterday we made scones and she helped use the rolling pin and cut the shapes out. She made her own scone which I cooked, it came out weird but DH ate it with pride - lol.

I think it has made a difference with her wanting to eat the food. I read in a post ages ago about including DD in the cooking and preparation process, and I think they were spot on. She also talks about it and brags about it for days - she really gets quite excited.

DD helped stir some mince the other day. I held the free hand so she didn't touch the hot pan and she held a massive wooden spoon. She actually ate all the mince in her bowl which rarely happens. I'm not sure if it was luck, or if she felt differently because she helped.

Well thanks for suggesting it. Trying to ignore the mess is going to be challenge (not that I'm a neat freak). I'm going to give them a go a stiring some Muffin mix tomorrow.

The lesson I learnt was to do a quick mix to start with so it was wet. I let DD start from when I had the dry mix and it was extra messy - LOL.

I can't remember the mummy months ago that suggested the same to me so I can't take the credit. I'm just so glad I finally started it which is half my problem I think, is that I don't give DD enough credit - she really is quite capable. I suppose I will never stop learning with DD through her whole life, being my first - lol.

Our DS loves helping to cook things too. He gets stuck right on into it. We have had food issues with him for some time now and I had heard it would be a good way to try and encourage his eating. Unfortunately for us it hasn't worked. We still have loads of fun though and he seems so proud when things come out the over.. lol

Good advice on wetting the mix Kazi. I'm using a packet mix (as usual), which makes it easier again. Just add egg, oil and water.

I made them a Macaroni cheese, bacon and spinach dish for them tonight thinking 'I've hit the jackpot with this one' but DS No.2 picked out the spinach - which was chopped up quite finely I might add.
Sometimes he won't even taste his food unless I say "MY dinner, I'm going to eat ALL your dinner" at which point he jealously scrambles up onto his chair and yanks his dish off me.
Oh, the measures I've resorted too, The Shame..the shame!!

It's a great bonding time when they help. My
DS(2yr) helps me cook as well, little sis (15mth) likes to help out with the easier thing (mixing small amounts etc.)
If Ds doesn't want to eat his tea I remind him that he made it so it must taste yummy, works so far.
Another great helping activity is dusting & poishing. We all grab a cloth each and dust, wipe polish while we bop to music. Amazing how clean the windows can get when they all help. LOL

Mez with your macaroni cheese maybe you could puree the spinach into the sauce (tell him it's special magic sauce that makes you jump better)

mum to 5

Hi Kazi I know what you mean and when ever I am cooking Jaye will drop whatever she is doing and came over to help me and she loves it when we make little muffins for her and than she will eat the rest of the mixture and have it all over her face but she looks so cute when she does it.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

I think BJ has been helping me cook ever since he could walk. Often its just putting the cut vegies in the pots. Its great because he has learnt all the vegies names and colours.
I give him a long spoon when cooking mince too and he helps stir the mixture and put things in the fry pan.
He loves to taste things as I use them, herbs, spices, sauces (had to stop the odd raw meat being popped in his mouth eww). Bits of carrots and cheese will disappear off the chopping board. Mixing cakes is good fun (yep a little messy).
Made soup today and BJ took great delight in turning the knob on the blender.
It is wonderful bonding time and best of all you know what there up to while your cooking too.

Jeninne, WA, Bradyn 24/11/04, #2 Ryan 01/12/06

Sign in to follow this topic