Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Thumb Sucking Rss

I have a 3 year old boy and he sucks his thumb all the time! I'm hoping he doesn't suck it off!! He starts Kindy next week and I would really like to start to get him out of this habit! I think it started out as a comfort thing as he never took to the dummy but now I thin it's just habit! Any tips or ideas?

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

When my daughter was just 2 the
chemist recommended a product called Stop'nGrow which is a nail biting deterrent. It tastes awful but it stopped my daughter sucking her thumb. It says on the bottle to use for at least 3 months after habit is broken, but I used it only for a few weeks. I now have a nearly 2 1/2 year old that doesn't suck her thumb anymore!!

Jemma 2 1/2 year old

i dont have a child who sucks her thumb but i'd try stop it as soon as possible i went to school with a girl who sucked her thumb her name was lucy she still sucked it at high school and needed massive stuff done to her teeth. i'd stop it while they are young if you can. its not a good thing to see a 16 yr old sucking their thumb.

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

i also have a son who is 28mths he is a thumb sucker, i recently noticed that when he closes his mouth together his top teeth dont even come close to the bottom, i have spoken to the dentist regarding this and he suggested igive him back his dummy! he attends daycare and i remember one day i went to pick him up and the male teacher gave me this grotty old thing and said here is connors dummy,he hasnt had one since he was 16wks old. (they must have thought all those days when he was going to sleep that they had lost his dummy because he was sucking his thumb)
ps. i am totally against giving him back his dummy.

mel,4yr,2yr,1yr boys

Sign in to follow this topic