Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Persistent Night Time Cough Lock Rss

My 2 year old daughter has had a night time cough for over 3 months now and none of the doctors we have been to know what is the cause of it. We have tried numerous medications but nothing seems to have worked. Can anyone help me with this?

Sounds like a tricky one! Could the room perhaps get a bit cool or has she had a cold? My daughter coughed a lot at night when she had a cold, it was from all the stuff running down the back of her throat and I found Demazin syrup really helped. Other than that, I'm not too sure.
No, she hasn't had a cold, unless you could say that she has had one for the past 3 months. I have heard a condition called Allergic Rhinitis. Has anyone heard of this before? Or have a child with the condition?

Sorry, was just trying to help. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.
That's okay. I'm not sure that anyone will really be able to help as we have been done every road imaginable in the last 3 months. I'm sure that one day it will all get better, but for now it's horrible having to listen to her cough at night and have her sleep interrupted all the time. I guess I am trying every avenue, icluding this forum, incase there is anyone else out there who is experiencing the same frustrations as me. Thanks anyway, much appreciated.

Hi
My daughters 2 and a bit and 15 months both have had terrible coughs for months also, I have been to the GP many times tried everything from asthma medicine's to not using spays taking carpet out of the house and putting in a cork floor. We are also worn out from trying so much, I have a ped appt next week I'll let you know how I get on, Have you had any luck?

kitty in the middle

Hi Mandy,
Last night we had our first cough free night in over 3 months, although she woke up coughing at 7am. I am hoping for the same tonight but I will not hold my breath. Someone suggested that we try a hayfever medication as it may be that she is congested in the sinuses and that this is dripping down her throat while she sleeps, causing her to cough. We picked up Infant Zyrtec from the chemist and gave it to her twice yesterday, so may be this is the reason why she didn't cough. I am hoping that we may have found the answer, but I will certainly keep you posted. Let me know how you go. I am glad we are not the only ones!
Kate

have you thought i might be bronchitis or asthma sometimes it takes a second opinion from a gp to diagnose the problem my daughter was coughing through the night also and i found out she had broncilitos so i would get a second opinion i took my daughter to the hospital and they didnt kn ow what it was but then i took her to her local gp and found that it was bronchilitos good luck i know how u feel
Hi Brooke,
We have had her tested for asthma and brochilitis and it is neither of these. The thing is, she is a normal happy toddler during the day and you wouldn't know that anything is wrong with her. It's just at night when she lies down that she coughs all the time. Thanks anyway.
Kate

Hi There, My bubs has the same problem and I was told by my GP he was dehydrated. This made a lot of sense to me because it is such a struggle to get him to drink any water!! My GP said that at night his throat probably gets dry and he starts coughing, because he is not even ill when this happens. Hope this helps!!
Its been really great to receive all these different avenues from other Mums, hopefully between all of us we can work something out. I have lost a little faith in modern medicine since this has been happening to my daughter. To MS3108, she drinks a lot of water during the day so unfortunately this is not the problem. Thank you so much for your input anyway, every little bit helps.
Kate

Hi

My son had the same thing when he was 2, had him to doctors many times with no joy, we had him checked for asthma, he had bronchiolitis(sp?)when he was one but they said it wasn't. We gave him durotuss at night, sometimes even a second dose after 5 hours or so. Eventually we took him back to doctors and she said he had had a chest infection that hadn't quite cleared up and gave him antibiotics which after a few weeks it did clear up but they never picked up any infection before that so I still don't know what caused it or what made it go away. I feel your pain and wish you luck! And I hope it isn't something that my younger son gets when he is 2 as it is horrible to have to listen to and not be able to do anything about!
Sign in to follow this topic