Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More

not a talker at 2.5 yrs. Lock Rss

My 2 and a half year old son speaks only 5-6 words.He follows instructions and babbles.He is bilingual.His hearing is ok.Socially he is ok but needs a little improvement.He has good eye contact and like to watch a lot of tv.
Maybe concentrating on more social activities like play group, gym etc and less TV might help to prompt his language development.

Not all kids talk, it doesn't mean they are any less intelligent. I know lots of adults that aren't big talkers but completely brilliant.

I suppose you need to be careful not to speak for him, or responding to his body language, rather than prompting him to talk (thus making him lazy).

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Hi,

My daughter will be 2 and a half next month and doesn't talk much either, like your boy she knows what we are saying and babbles to herself. My friends children the same age are speaking in sentences. I've got a friend who is a speech pathologist and she said to make sure you give them a descriptive word as well, like at bath time say 'yellow duck' or at the park say 'blue ball'. Have you tried anything else?

nicola, mum to emma

There was a report that if a child doesnt talk by their time is 16months u should get them checked out. There could be alot of reasons . One of them mentioned autism( it think its what is was called. Have a look on the today tonight website. might be there. But i would just keep doing what u are doing . He will soon get there. some kids take longer then others. good luck

philippa mum of Charley chicken

A lot of things people may say might scare you , do not worry……….kids develop differently I guess we put to much pressure on them..they will talk when there ready.
My daughter is a bright little girl and at 2 and a half she just has started to put 2 words in sentences…..she talks when she wants to….and sings along to song…
I was really worried until a few months ago she was only saying one worded words…….I guess just spend my time reading books and let him interact with children you will be surprised….I wont worry if he is alert and understand like if you say put on the lights or ra ra….its fine………hope this helps because I started to get worried to…but one day she was singing and I was I didn’t know that she know her abc's only when I sings them and she repeats smile
Good luck

emili 24/02/2005

what the nurse told me is that if your child doesn't say one word by the time there 3 than you need to worry......every child develops at different times...but if your really worried get him checked out...but remember boys are slower at developing than girls
Hi there,
Me again,
Hope these tips work
E.g.:
Read, read a lot you don’t have to read by word. When I read to emili her favourite book is alice in wonderland,
I will say there is a rabbit with a clock tick tock, or alice has black shoes(shoes) or she is falling down the hole bla bla
Also for e.g. that’s an apple, apple is red or orange
When they point to something say what is is and try and get them to repeat..
There is some flash cards on the huggies website I know they have helped.
It wont hurt to take them to a child nurse to get there hearing checked out
It your child does watch a lot of TV let him watched educational programs (usually you can buy them from an abc shop)
You can also enrol him in occasional day car may help in interact with other children
Hope this helps

emili 24/02/2005

Thankyou to all for your kind help.Stephen has progressed and is doing well.He has added two words and babbles all the time.Do you think I should send hime to childcare?He is attending playgroup 2 days a week and is enjoying it.My problem is that we only spoke to him in our language and not english.we should of spoke both.I think maybe he is confused.He responds well to his childrens dvds.it is like he understands what is going on.
I HAVE NOTICED IT TO WE SPEAK TO LANGUAGES AND I THINK THAT MAY HAVE CONFUSED HER… SO WE ONLY SPEAK TO HER IN ENGLISH AND SHE HAS PICKED UP REALLY WELL. IT WILL BE A GOOD IDEA TO TAKE HIM TO DAY CARE AS HE WILL INTERACT WITH OTHER CHILDREN AND BUILD UP HIS VOCABULARY smile
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK I REMEMBER WHEN EMILI WANTED SOMETHING I DID NOT GIVE IT TO HER BECAUSE SHE USE TO SAY ME ME ME AND POINT TO WHAT SHE WANTS AND IT WOULD FRUSTRATE HER..
NOW SHE WILL SAY JUICE PLEASE ECT…..I THINK WE NEED TO MAKE THEM WORK FOR WHAT THEY WANT HIHIHI

emili 24/02/2005

Sign in to follow this topic