Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. Does anyone else have a screaming match with there 20month old just about every meal time?

Does anyone else have a screaming match with there 20month old just about every meal time? Lock Rss

Hi again...

My daughter will eat mince meat, cut up chicken or beef sausages, cut up or diced lamb or veal, plus she loves pumpkin diced, brocolli pieces, potato diced, green beans cut up about 2cm long, and if I make a cheese sauce, she loves to dip her vegies. I have also found my daughter will eat fish fingers if I put some tomatoe sauce on her tray so she can dip them... she loves her "dip-dip sauce"

Another thing I tried recently was to cook some pasta... the vegie spirals one (different colours in one pack) and mix with grated cheese. She loved it... not sure what you can use though if you are dairy and wheat restricted... this makes it a bit tougher for you. I think you can get special pastas at health food stores... no wheat?

Will your son eat fruit? I find if I dice up fresh apple, pear, bananna, watermelon... my daughter will give them all a go. She especially loves green grapes.

Have you tried going to a health food store to find alternatives? They might be able to help you there.

What about baked beans and things like that? Baked Beans - salt reduced are a good source of fibre.

I would just keep putting different things in front of your son and let him show you what he likes. But don't offer a different meal at the time he has rejected the meal in front of him.

Goodluck... will let you know if I can come up with anything else.

Michelle smile
Hello maddychelle Thank you so much for the information. I never thought about giving him diced vegies. He use to eat mashed potatoes and pumpkin which was great as I use to mix in corn and peas, but he wont have a bar of them now. But if I try your idea and then he can still feed himself that just might work!!
I have been to a health food shop and a shop run by naturopaths and I have got wheat free pasta (doesnt take any different to me) but the cheese is a problem. You can get soy and goats milk cheese but its like fetta..........I havent tried cooking with it but that mighten be to bad. The soy was not nice at all. Thanks again for your advice you have been great!
Hi calebsmum,

So glad I have been able to help. smile

Infact I am going to try and find out some more about cheeses for you... will let you know how I go.
Goodluck with the diced vegies, let me know how that goes for you.

I find if my daughter can self feed she is more co-operative.

Will be in touch soon...

Michelle smile
You could try this website...

http://www.foodallergycookbook.com/

It might give you some pointers for a diet that needs to be wheat and dairy free.

Hope this helps.

Michelle smile
Here is another site you might find interesting too.

http://www.foodintol.com/eatingdairyfree.asp

Best of luck to you.
Let me know how you go.

Michelle smile
Hi all,

Wow, you have been full of great ideas Michelle, i will be taking some of these on myself!

My daughter loves baked beans, they have been a hit. wink So now her dinner starts with that, then some broken up chicken or sausage, then a cob of corn, tomato pieces then finished off with a tub yoghurt! I will try some more veges soon!

Thanks for all the tips,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi again,

I forgot to say my daughters main meal has always been lunch, as Michelle also said. She is great with lunch, it is just getting some kind of dinner thing happening,

bye again,

Tepe

I have also found Chicken nuggets to be a hit, fish nuggets too. My daughter loves the crunchy potatoe coating and you can find ones made especially for little kids in the frozen section of the supermarket.

Michelle... always happy to help smile
Hi calebsmum, I've been having as much trouble as you it would seem with my almost 3 year old - trouble is she has been at this since she turned 1, fingers crossed, my 1 year old doesn't start!!!! She is on a dry diet - only thing she will eat that is wet is baby fruit and yoghrt. I think every child has different tastes - like adults. We all have our favourite foods! I did hear a good tip I'd like to pass on. We are at step three with carrot sticks!

Night 1 - present a new food item with your childs fav food ( we dipped carrot sticks in her yoghurt), let them eat their favourite food and don't question the other item, if it is left simply ask if they are going to try it, if they say no (very likely!!!) get YOUR CHILD to put it in the bin.
Night 2 - Offer the same food but this time, if they say they won't eat it tell them to kiss the food goodbye and put in rubbish
Night 3 - same process only this time they lick the food - which I must say worked well with carrot sticks dipped in yoghurt! then they can toss
Night 4 - chew and let them spit it out into the bin
Night 5 - hopefully eat it all up.

It is supposed to introduce new foods one at a time again (like when they first start solids). I just can't wait to see my daughter chew a piece of meat!

I find it hard comparing my 4 year old who eats everything.

Let me know if you try this and if it works for you.

4,3&1mum

Hi,

What a great idea...

I have been trying a similar process of the above with meat and tomatoe sauce... my daughter loves tomatoe sauce, so I get her to dip her meat into it. The first few tries she only sucked the sauce off, but eventually she started to eat some of the meat.

I find the less pressure you place on the child, the better your results will be.

I have also read that from 18 months to 3 years is when a toddler can become very fussy with foods they will and wont eat. It's not something us mum's are doing... just something we have to work our way through.

Goodluck to all the mum's battling through meal times with their "wonderful" toddlers.

Michelle grin

Hi,

What a great guide to starting new foods! I am going to try this tonight with carrots, i will let you know how it goes. It will be good to have a plan, and not to feel like its a failure if it doesn't work first night!

Thanks,

Tepe

Hello Everyone!! I just want to send a great big THANKS to you all for your advice and tips. You have no idea how much happier our house is now! I dont know where I would be without all your help. You will never know how much I really appreciate you all! Thanks from our whole house and I bet Caleb too would also send a great big Thanks complete with a sloppy kiss.....LOL He is so much happier. wink
Sign in to follow this topic