Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. Extended Breastfeeding Mums.....

Extended Breastfeeding Mums..... Lock Rss

I am still breastfeeding my almost 15 month old and I thought I would start a thread for other mums who are also breastfeeding their toddlers. It would be great to be able to discuss tips and problems and also just to have other people in the same boat for support.

Look forward to chatting to you xx
hey there mary
Jack is thirteen months now, still going strong! he is really only on two feeds, the early morning one when he's brought into our bed, and then before he goes to sleep. but he's such a fan of it he sometimes gets a snack - well he probably gets a snack every second he see's my boobs out lol...... really im not a regimented mum so if it's needed i give it! its wonderful. he has started to enjoy the left one much more than he ever did, but it was always his fav anyway! my in laws are a bit 'grossed out' i think as they are BOTTLE BOTTLE BOTTLE! but my sil is bf'ding her five month old so im making progress!

Hi,
You should be so proud to still be breastfeeding, i beleive its one of the toughest things to do in the world....but also the most rewarding!! I stopped b/f my girl at 18mths (she 2 this month), and every day i miss it. It is such a special time to spend with your baby, and i found as she got older it got more special, she used to look up at me after she finished drinking and say "milk all gone", i will cherish these moments forever.
I must admit if everyone around me wasnt a bit freaked out by me b/f a near toddler, i probably would still be feeding.
I suffered from PND for most of the last 2 yrs and i found that breastfeeding was the only thing that seemed real, it was the only thing that i could do for my daughter that no one else could.
I encourage you to feed as long as its right for you, when i have more babies, i hope i can feed for as long if not longer than last time.
Good luck and enjoy every minute with you baby, they grow waaaayyy too quick!
So glad to see there are other breast feeding mums who don't want to give it up any time soon.

I will reply to you in a bit more detail later on tonight. Things are hectic here and I have to wait for the kids to go to bed.
understandably hectic! when you do find the time to sit down make ourself a baileys....erm, i mean cuppa!

Hey Girls!!

Well things are quiet so I thought I would quickly say hello. I am actually having some trouble feeding Trinity atm. Since she broke her arm, she has been a bit unsettled and isn't feeding as much as usual, which is leaving me with very sore, very full boobs.

She does have juice and water during the day, plus one toddler milk with her dinner. Do you think I should cut back a bit on this stuff?? I am finding that the only time she really wants me is first thing in the morning and at about midnight when she wakes for her last feed. Does this sound right??

How annoying are all the "Oh you're still feeding" comments?? LOL. It's like "Nah, I just like to stick my boob in her mouth, but she's not actually feeding". PFFFFFFTTTTTTT!! I am so over all the comments, I just completely ignore them!! And when it is coming from family, I just tell them to leave the room if it's making them uncomfortable, lol.
Hi,
My daughter cut back to 2 feeds at around 12mths, she would feed before bed and first thing in the morning (on the odd occassion she might have had one during the night)after a couple of months of that she cut back to 1 feed in the morning and that was it, she fed once a day for around 4-5 months! Remember your body will supply however much milk she wants, and i've been told that even if they are having one feed a day, that one feed still provides as many good nutrients as if they were feeding all day.
Good on you for ignoring all those silly comments, you know what frustrates me is that Breastfeeding is drilled into you when you have a newborn and then suddenly when they reach 6 months people are suprised that your still feeding and say "why wouldnt you put her on a bottle?" like its crazy to keep feeding if you dont have to and then when they reach 12 months your seen as "one of those mums on A Current Afair who feed their kids at school lunchtime"! I think all of these people are jealous because they dont have what we have, i feel sorry for them that they have missed out on the wonderful miracle of extended breastfeeding! We are trying for our second baby and i am so looking forward to breastfeeding again.

Happy Breastfeeding
LJR
xox
Hi there. My 15 mth boy is just coming to the end of his B\F days. Mutual decision by both of us. He is down to a feed every couple of days, when the mood takes him. I've found it very hard to have it come to an end, but I understand that he is growing and becoming more independet. I'm getting all teary just thinking about it. He was the first out of 4 that I was able to feed even though he started on a bottle at 3 days old. He has been brought up on breast and bottle and has always loved both. He has always called the breast ói goys'and if I say to him do you want ói goys'he'll come running. So cute. He is my last child and part of me is having real trouble letting go of baby Kai and accepting that he is now toddler Kai. Still just as cute and loveable.

kira-kai-kir

im no longer B/Fing (my youngest is 2) but i did feed jy till 13 months then he was just getting too dificult always wriggling and playing while feeding LOL.
zak i fed for 16 months untill we decided to TTC then stopped, i would have done it for longer though cause it was so easy to get him to sleep, and its so good for them too.

good luck with it all.
hey there,

I am still BF my thirteen month old DD and feeling very proud of myself! I was a BF failure with DD1 and didn't even really try with DD2 because of this. DD3 is probably my last and i now plan to feed her until she is ready to wean herself.... in saying this though i don't plan on feeding a three or four year old. Just my choice.

I am the only BF in my family for two generations including extended family so i know all about the comments! Water off a ducks back now, but at around six months they did get to me and i tried to wean, luckily for me my DD definately did not agree with that and so i decided to go till twelve months. Well thats come and gone too and although i had serious thoughts on weaning then aswell the thought just made me soooo sad i couldn't go through with it.

Her favourite feed is the morning one which is around 6am and we Have cuddles in bed til 7. I am trying to cut out the lunchtime feed and offer milk in a cup with lunch, instead. Usually she still has a top up before her afternoon nap anyway. She has a sippy cup with water in it that she can access anytime during the day. I choose not to give juice as i don't feel she needs it she eats fruit as snacks and this is much healthier. Dinner is at around 5.30, she also has yoghurt for dessert. Last feed is around 6.30- 7.oo but she doesn't go till bed till 8 - 8.30 and just before she goes i offer her some milk in a cup to make sure she is topped up. If i offer her the breast at this time or later than 7.00 she usually falls asleep here and then will wake all night wanting to be fed back to sleep. I cut out night feeds around 8 months but just before she was ten months she got gastro and i went back to night feeds til she got over it. Once she is asleep by 8.30 she usually stays that way till six the next morning. If she wakes at night i go in and resettle and if this doesn't work i offer her water. This rarely happens now and never two nights in a row.

WOW that was a long post, sorry if it all sounds like waffling but if you got to the end of this i hope it may help in some way, not that im an expert(far from it) but if it works for me it may work for someone else too.
Jack comes crawling when i ask him 'do you want some yum yums?' he knows the click noise of my bra too, and gets very excited when he is expecting a feed. people ask if he asks for it and i think well he doesnt say'pardon me mummy, may i please have some of that delicious breast milk from your left nipple as i find it deliciously satisfying' - [email protected], he's still just a baby! im using the latest info out on breastmilk and stem cells in the milk to throw anyone off guard!!!!!! basically they are my tits and i'll put them where i like Bwahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!

Posted by: Mrs ''Madmartigan''
Jack comes crawling when i ask him 'do you want some yum yums?' he knows the click noise of my bra too, and gets very excited when he is expecting a feed. people ask if he asks for it and i think well he doesnt say'pardon me mummy, may i please have some of that delicious breast milk from your left nipple as i find it deliciously satisfying' - [email protected], he's still just a baby! im using the latest info out on breastmilk and stem cells in the milk to throw anyone off guard!!!!!! basically they are my tits and i'll put them where i like Bwahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!

LMGDFAO!! If Trinity was at a stage where she could ask. I imagine she WOULD ask for the left nipple, as she seems to favour it, BAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Subsequently my left boob is now way bigger than my right, Ooooops!!

[Edited on 08/02/2008]
Sign in to follow this topic