Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. Extended Breastfeeding Mums.....

Extended Breastfeeding Mums..... Lock Rss

Hi goldnugget, firstly wow 2.5 years that's great! I have 3 kids 4, 2 and 12 months and haven't stopped breastfeeding since having my first over 4 and a half years ago. I fell with my 2nd when the eldest was 13 months and was also worried about milk drying up. At first I thought it may be a good time 2 wean him but he was feeding 5/6 times a day and was so obsessed. My milk supply actually increased as in the 1st trimester I was so tired and so ended up feeding him alot so I could b lazy and bum on the lounge!! I ended up feeding him right thru but he weaned when I had my daughter as I stayed in hospital for 4 nights and he slept through the nights I was gone. As he was already a great talker at 22 months I just explained to him his sister neede milk and he was fine. But my little girl however was getting plenty of milk in the first few days as I still had a fair bit. My milk still came in on day 3 and I had sooooo much milk.
When my daughter was 11 months I fell again and continued 2 feed her also. This time I didn't have as much milk but she was happy with what she got as it was just the sucking that she really liked. I decided 2 try and wean het at 17 months as I thought it was a bit rough weaning coldturkey like I did my son and eventually it workd! I had 4 weeks without breastfeeding which was no holiday as I was 36 weeks and extremely uncomfortable!!! My youngest is now 12 months and loves his booby !!! He has lots of feeds thru the day and sleeps 12 hours at night but my 2 .5 daughter comes into my bed all night and quite often helps herself 2 some milk, cheeky bugger!! She didn't hav any until my baby was 6 months but then all of a sudden wanted it again!! Anyway hope all goes well 4 u, sounds like u will have a very long breastfeeding story 2 one day, lol.
Jess, p.s are u planning on tandem feeding?

Jess, mum of 3

Hi all, just noticed this post. Haven't been on for a while due to working fulltime from when DS was 6 months old. He is now 2!! And we are still having early morning feed & last feed at night, sometimes a midday one on weekends!

I can't believe I made it this far, with ongoing supply problems, hiring pumps & a blackout threatening freezer stash, not to mention daycarers having to be taught how to feed on demand (and not throw the precious milk away!)

The problem I have now is, I can't talk to anyone about still feeding. I get looked at as if I'm an alien.

The bond we have though, when we reconnect & have our quiet feeding time is the most special thing in the world. When he is tired & just looks up & me and asks 'Milk?' how can I refuse, he has a feed & is asleep in 10 mins.
How much more gentler to soothe & send asleep a tired body than a nighttime feed with mum?

So, to all you mums thinking of extended feeding (which in other parts of the world is considered NORMAL)

YOU GO GIRLS!!!
Ooh I'm loving this thread! Was it started by Emma? I miss her posts.
I'm still feeding my 15 month old, we both love it. I love that she hands me the breast feeding pillow when she wants a feed.

Loving reading your stories!
That's so cute that she hands u the pillow breastfeeding pillow. My little boy just climbs all over me and whinges!! Still kind of cute though. Unfortunatly I'm thinking of cutting down his feeds as hav just found out I'm pregnant with our 4th and am feeling so drained!! I think my body needs a bit of a break from feeding as I've been breastfeeding continually for over the past 4 and a half years!! I'll feel bad for not feeding him as long as the others but I think I need a break!!!

Jess, mum of 3

It is so nice to hear that there are others mums breastfeeding their baby into the second year. I have tried to get my daughter to drink cows milk out of her sippy cup, she takes one sip, throws it away and points to mummy, it is so cute. The world health organisation says that breastfeeding until is two is best, so who is going to argue with them. I think if you want to feed, feed. I am sick of getting weird looks from people, i just ignore them now.

I just read an article on a new site about being addicted to breastfeeding, in a fun way of course, check it out at either http://www.babyboat.com.au/page104aa.html or through the link of the front page at http://www.babyboat.com.au it is nice to see that we aren't the only ones.

The only downfall is now at swimming when we are getting changed I have to hide my boobs or she thinks that she is getting feed instead of getting her swimmers on.

LOL to all. Go girls Feed away

<a href=

It is so nice to hear that there are others mums breastfeeding their baby into the second year. I have tried to get my daughter to drink cows milk out of her sippy cup, she takes one sip, throws it away and points to mummy, it is so cute. The world health organisation says that breastfeeding until is two is best, so who is going to argue with them. I think if you want to feed, feed. I am sick of getting weird looks from people, i just ignore them now.

I just read an article on a new site about being addicted to breastfeeding, in a fun way of course, check it out at either http://www.babyboat.com.au/page104aa.html or through the link of the front page at http://www.babyboat.com.au it is nice to see that we aren't the only ones.

The only downfall is now at swimming when we are getting changed I have to hide my boobs or she thinks that she is getting feed instead of getting her swimmers on.

Had a giggle over that link Immi! The boob will fix it. When DS was younger, DH would work hard at trying to settle him. He would inevitably ask "Do you think he's hungry?". I would usually reply 'Nope, just fed him.' DH would walk out of the room for a minute and DS would be instantly quiet. Hungry? Maybe not, but the boob will fix it... laugh

Love it! I also have to get changed very quickly in front of DD or she thinks it's time for a feed lol
Yay, we made it to 2 years!! Just LOL. I think we are about done. DS said no to a feed tonight (he was in a very silly mood). I have to wean him within the next 2 weeks anyway - DH and I are going to Vanuatu without him - our last minute getaway before bub arrives. I don't think he'll mind, he's gone to bed without booby a few times recently and he's only been getting colostrum for a couple of months anyway.

Looks like my boobs are getting a 3 month holiday! Bit sad it's just about over, but happy we made it this far after a really bad start. I hope things go smoother next time and we make it till at least 2 years again!

I have just finished feeding my boy last Thursday at 22 months old. We both loved that time but not when his teeth got in the way. He is my last baby so I have made the most of it.
DS#1 was 15 months
DD was 13 months and I only stopped because i fell pregnant and wanted a bit of a break b4 it started again.
DS#2 was 17 months
DS#3 was 22 months.

If you can feed why not do it as long as you feel comfortable. I stopped because we were both ready to move into bigger and better challenges.

Hi guys,

Just wanting to hear what other mums think I should do. My DS is 15 months and is on 2 feeds a day, morning and night. For the past month, I have been in pain in one breast with a thrush infection in the nipple. I have been to the doctor and medicine is not working. Every time I feed I am in pain and then for about 2 hours after there is pain. I don't want to stop BFing but am not sure if I can keep it going...it's driving me nuts having to put up with this shooting pain each morning and night. Any advice?

On a separate note, just something that might get you ladies talking...when I told my doc that I was still BF my 15 month old, he wanted to know why, because he said extended BFing results in low iron levels. When I told the doc that the WHO recommends 2 years BF, he then told me that I should have started my bub on solids by now!!! Oh my goodness, I couldn't believe that he thought DS had not started solids yet! When I told the doc that DS ate 3 full meals, pretty much what we eat, plus snacks plus drinks water and milk, he was much happier, but honestly, as if my 15 month old would not be on solids yet!

Hear from you all soon, I hope.

Big congrats to froggi and mum to 4, enjoy having your bodies back for a while! smile

Rissanddan, I've got no idea about the pain and thrush, can you feed the other breast and express that one? Sorry I'm no help. And your dr is an idiot lol roll eyes
My 16 month DD has just weaned herself. She was just no longer interested. I thought I might be a little sad but in fact I'm extreemly pleased that I was able to offer it as long as she wanted it.
Sign in to follow this topic